1979 GS 850 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Well I have been waiting of a few key parts before i can get the bike started up. I painted my exhaust flat black, and did a gloss black on the battery box and other misc parts. I got my clutch case cover in and threw that on the bike. Painted the tank a flake red and did some cleaning. Took the valve cover off and checked clearances. Now i have the air filter and some shims 2 sizes smaller on order.

I think i need to buy some new fuel lines as they are all stiff like this one

Comment

Got some mail yesterday! My service manual and my choke cable! Installed the cable last night, also went to one of the bike dealers around here and picked up some fuel lines, i think i got hosed on the price though, they charged 2.50 a foot. I replaced all but the carb vent hoses, as they are still okay and not as important, and i didnt replace the fuel gauge hose because i forgot to measure it, ill clean it up in some warm soapy water and blow it out with some compressed air, its still pretty soft so i think im okay for now until i order some colored lines online. I won the valve shims on ebay. $3.50 a piece from a guy locally so i am going to pick up some 2.70 and 2.65, my 2.75s are all tight now. Air filter in tomorrow! then i can try and start it!

Comment

Well got the thing back together, my new clutch cable has the wrong end and doesnt fit in the carb. Can i file that down to fit? Also the two hoses i replaced on the carb, where do they go? i get the middle one goes to the fuel filter/tank and the 4 on the bowls are just overflow, but not sure about the two in carbs 2 and 3, and the manual doesnt cover that. Should have taken note, i know. Putting on the exhaust i snapped a bolt in the block so that will need to be replaced and new bolts bought tomorrow. But she did start!

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
          Well got the thing back together, my new clutch cable has the wrong end and doesnt fit in the carb. Can i file that down to fit? Also the two hoses i replaced on the carb, where do they go? i get the middle one goes to the fuel filter/tank and the 4 on the bowls are just overflow, but not sure about the two in carbs 2 and 3, and the manual doesnt cover that. Should have taken note, i know. Putting on the exhaust i snapped a bolt in the block so that will need to be replaced and new bolts bought tomorrow. But she did start!
          They are vent lines. I just route they up through the frame in front of the battery and down towards the swing arm.

Daniel

Comment

Great thanks, i wasnt sure if they were just vents or not. Is there a vacuum on this bike. What goes on the small fitting on the petcock?

Comment

Towards the front of the engine, on the carbs, is the vacuum port for the petcock.
              It looks just like the vent ports.

Daniel

Comment

Can i just use and standard bolt from the hardware store to replace my exhaust bolts?

Comment

Which exhaust bolts?
                  And they are all metric BTW.

Daniel

Comment

The ones that bolt to the engine

Comment

You can, there is nothing special about them, what a lot of the guys do, and I would suggest, is to replace the bolts with studs and use nuts on them, it will save you the grief again of broken bolts further down the road.

Comment

Well after a few weeks debating I finally decided to part with the bike. There isnt much for a market for these bikes out here and it would make probably get more money parting the bike then selling compete not in 100% running condition. I have cleaned the carbs and put in all new orings from cycle orings, and new fuel hose. Brand new airfilter in box. And cam case covers. Let me know if there is anything you are looking for and we can work it out. Otherwise i will be posting them on ebay under user Poppa_dre. Thanks to everyone that helped along the way and followed my thread.

Comment

If the left control swtich is in good working condition, I'd like to get a price on that and the air filter.

Comment

Well after a bit of consideration i have decided to get back at the bike and try to get her in working condition. I had a seized front master cylinder that i cleaned up a little bit and was able to free up, now the only problem is i cant get my damn brake light to start up. no running lights or light when i hit front or rear brake, it worked before i took it apart but now nothing. All other lights work. behind the headlamp i cant find the match for the brown lead does that one not have a connection at all?

Comment

On my '79 GS1000, that brown wire goes to nothing. I confirmed it on here after finding no use for it and finding it on the wiring schematic also. It's simply an extra 12v lead. Can't remember if it comes on with the key or the lights.

Comment

Okay thanks a lot, thats what i was kind of getting from the wiring schematics just need confirmation, Now just need to find out why that tail light wont come on when every other light comes on

Comment

Working...
                                X