Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cal_look_zero's 1980 CB750F... GASP!

Ahem...

Don't worry, the GS is still well underway. Down for a little surgery at the moment (steering bearings and r/r) and waiting on parts, SO, I decided to tear into my newly acquired 1980 CB750F.

This is about what it looked like when I picked it up. Traded the cute little CM185T for it since it was pretty much not going to be ridden, and this guy was in a little over his head. Shot some brakleen into the carbs and it fired right up.

Now for the ugly. Although it was way more complete and more aesthetically pleasing than the GS...

The carbs were uuuuuuugly. I can't put my finger on exactly what was in them. Combination of gelled gas, rust, and separated tank liner I'd guess. That bucket o'nastiness under the bike was what came out of the crankcase. The petcock doesn't shut off, so I assume that's oil and gas mixed together. Glad the engine didn't hydrolock as a result. The starter solenoid has a cute little jumper (fire hazard) installed, and my tach needle is busted off.

I have another good engine just in case this one has any major issues internally, and of course there's all the usual suspects: Leaking fork seals, dead battery, m/c and calipers needing rebuild and pads, tires dry and cracked, valves out of whack... sound familiar?

It's funny putting the GS and CB side by side. Some areas Suzuki excelled at (direct pull carbs, vacuum petcock, gauges/dash) and some areas where Honda excels (electrical system, battery compartment, controls) When you look at a modern GSXR and CBR, the differences are miniscule, in fact a lot of parts are interchangable are far as calipers, controls, etc.

How did he bust a tach needle off? By repeatedly revving the motor so far into the red that it gave up?
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
      How did he bust a tach needle off? By repeatedly revving the motor so far into the red that it gave up?
      Your guess is as good as mine. I have a good tach from my parts bike that's going in as soon as I find a little time.

Comment

750f vs GS11E

I agree with your feeling that the '80s era Hondas were more refined in certain areas than the Suzukis. I own a 1980 CB750F and a 1982 GS1100E (I was planning on posting some photos of the GS this week in the rebuild section -- I just finished painting it), and I definitely feel that the Honda was a more integrated package.

The battery box is a prime example. The Suzuki has an angle-iron tray welded to the frame. Kind of shade-tree mechanic stuff. The Honda uses a continuous o-ring seal for the cam cover. I think that is an advancement over the Suzook's old-school gasket.

Style is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the Honda F model offers a more integrated look. Especially the tail section.

I also agree that the playing field is pretty much level when you're talking about today's bikes. I also own a 2001 GSXR600, and I feel that it is certainly on par with say, a 600rr.

Comment

Cal, if you have not found it yet www.cb1100f.net is an excellent website for your Honda.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The old Honda's were great bikes, but I just never liked those "Com-Star" wheels.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Didn't really feel like going into the build too much since it was for an end result that doesn't end with me keeping and enjoying the bike. Well at least it shouldn't. It's still in the shop for some tinkering before I trade it for a subi.

What I did:
              600RR front and rear masters
              Brake Pads
              Caliper rebuilds
              Fork rebuild
              Carb rebuild
              Electrical cleanup
              Oil change
              Paint job (10 ft)
              Replaced speedo/tach needles.
              Homebuilt petcock (Don't laugh, it works)

Comment

With the condition that those carbs were in, I would have to say that you did fantastic!
                Bike looks much better.
                What kind of air filtration is planned?
                Pods or stock box?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  With the condition that those carbs were in, I would have to say that you did fantastic!
                  Bike looks much better.
                  What kind of air filtration is planned?
                  Pods or stock box?

Daniel
                  If I end up keeping it, airbox. But since it came with pods, that's what's on there at the moment. Problem being that they interfere with the side covers; thus the picture with open intakes.

Comment

Damn you FC. Your black cloud of doom made it's way down here...

"Traded'" the CB for a 92 Loyale wagon.

That proceeded to puke 2 qts of oil and potentially an HG or 2.

Fortunately the guy was very apologetic and is going to come get the car and give me the bike back.

Comment

Working...
                    X