1978 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000

Well, finally. I have been searching for about 3 months now for a larger displacement bike project being that the 550 is done and my daily driver.

About a week ago I contacted a guy through CL in northern Illinois who had 2 for sale, a 82 850G and a 78 1000. His description was that they were all there, clear titles, rough and rusty, ripped seats, dents, etc. So I gathered up the trailer and some straps and set out this morning for a 200 mile drive figuring their both seized and basically basket cases so expectations were low, which is good.

I get there and go with him to the garage out back, there they are in all their abused dormant glory.

Neither has any resemblance of being complete, missing tank here, no seats there, air boxes not present. A heavily dented creased spray bombed blue tank sits atop the 1000, not a 78, looks more like the 82 850G tank. So I get looking around the garage, on a shelf I see dark blue metallic paint and indentations on what appears to be a 78 1000 tank. So I ask, do you have the tank for the 1000? Sure do but its all rusted. I grab the tank and give it the once over, pfftttt I think, thats all surface stuff. How about side covers? Yep, got em right here, hands em over, no cracks, ok cool im thinkin. airbox? check, carbs are on the bike but their dirty he says.

I then see a new battery on a charger. I ask can you turn the 1000 over or have you tried to start it recently? It will turn over fine but wont start. Well lets see it, sure does turn over and oil pressure light goes out.

So we move to the 850, already in my mind this 1000 will be mine but my trailer will fit two. The 850 has a butchered harness, wrong handle bars, tank almost dented beyond recognition, and so on. I ask if the 850 will turn over, he says no its dead. So we put the battery in it and turn the key, hit the button and nothing. Says it did start at one point but then stalled when put in gear and the clutch released, and it squealed. Ok, Im gonna pass on the 850.

So we work out the price, load it up on the trailer, throw the tank, seat, fender, airbox, side covers in the jeep and I head for home. So I now have a 78 1000 project to work over the winter. If anyone is looking for a basket case 850 let me know, I will send his info. Pics tomorrow as it was way dark out by the time I got it home.

I'm subscibing to all the 1000 threads active here so........Hope to see pics soon

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
      Pics tomorrow as it was way dark out by the time I got it home.
      Patiently waiting...
      GS850GT

Comment

So not to bad after looking a bit closer this morning. Exhaust is shot, which I knew, seat pan is not correct, which I suspected. Front fork uppers are bent. Side panel badges are wrong. And so on. But it's gorgeous Here are some before unloading pics:

Comment

And my fav shot, just screams "let's go" (or maybe, thanks for the rescue)

Comment

Oh boy... that IS a basket case... looking forward to seeing it all made pretty
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              Oh boy... that IS a basket case...

First up, I need a 55 gallon drum of Kroil to dunk it in

Comment

Is it just me or do I see a pair of bent front fork tubes on that bike? if they are bent, I guess I need to remove the set I just put in the scrap metal pile.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Is it just me or do I see a pair of bent front fork tubes on that bike? if they are bent, I guess I need to remove the set I just put in the scrap metal pile.

Yes, both are bent just below bottom triple, I will be needing some on down the road a bit. In looking at the old vetter fairing it had on it, some previous rider ran it straight on into something solid, whoopsie.

Comment

Wow, plenty of work on that one...gonna follow this one for sure.
                    Good luck, you gonna need it !

Comment

I thought mine looked rough.It may be but not as bad as that!You're a better man than me Gunga Din for taking this home.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        I thought mine looked rough.It may be but not as bad as that!You're a better man than me Gunga Din for taking this home.

It just needs love. And parts, and 500 man hours of work .

Spent a little time with it today snooping. Threw a battery in it, pulled all the plugs, all sparking but 2&3 seem a little weaker than 1&4.

Pulled the carbs off and pulled 2 bowls, not as bad as I would have thought.

Put the compression tester on it for grins, 138, 126, 124, 135. I may just give the carbs a quickie cleaning tomorrow, dig out the aux fuel tank and try to fire this beastie up before I dismantle it.

Comment

Sounds like your carbs actually move.Mine where so varnished I had so spray penetrating on them oil to even get them to go anywhere.One heavy duty carb cleaner soak and like new.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                            Sounds like your carbs actually move.Mine where so varnished I had so spray penetrating on them oil to even get them to go anywhere.One heavy duty carb cleaner soak and like new.

They seem to move fine, I was shocked. The gas that was inside the 2 bowls I pulled was not bad at all, I was expecting split pea soup and some critters.

Comment

Good luck with your build. Don't know your plans, but I've got the Windjammer and mounts from my '79 GS1000 for sale. Cheap. And I'm not far from Waterloo, Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X