Repairing my 1980 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor76 View Post
    I just removed all of those same parts in the last week or so, and don't remember seeing a spring like that anywhere on the bike or in any schematic drawing...

Maybe it's part of your wooden contraption to prop the bike up?

Seriously though, please show me where you are wiring that fuse into
    -I have the same inline fuse, ready to go on the bike except I am not sure what it runs between (I think between the reg/rec and main power from the harness???)

Thanks...
    Yeah I didn't see the spring pop off of anything. and I didn't see it on any of the diagrams, but I'll check more in depth shortly.

The wooden contraption is just a 2x6 that I had lying next to where I was working.

I plan on replacing the stock glass fuse.
    Here's where it was to start with that is the side of the relay with the battery connection and it is connected to the ignition switch if I am not mistaken.

The starter was connected to the plug with nothing on it.

Comment

Wow, What a pain in the but removing the fork seals...
      I didn't get much of anything else done except the removal so far.
      The forks are fully disassembled.
      Here is the seal after removal with a seal puller.

Probably would have been fine keeping these seals as they weren't leaking but I figure since I'm replacing the wiper boots, oil and springs I may as well.

Here's the new springs and the old

The bottom bolts came out not too much issue after a little spray with PB Blaster.

I tried using the drill and bit holder but the bit holder stripped right out (which I much prefer to the bolt). Ended up putting the bit into a 1/4" socket and using a ratchet. I didn't;t need to put anything into the shock to hold the other end, I will mention that this process was easier with the spring in and fluid out as it seemed to keep tension on the inside better. The one side was missing the little copper washer so I need a replacement.

For $.029 I can replace the drain screws with SS socket cap screws. what do you think? (I think I'm doing it anyhow).

I figure my goal tonight is to reassemble the fork seal tonight at least. Hopefully before it rains since I've been doing all this work outside on the unenclosed porch.

EDIT***
      Decided to leave the forks apart tonight so I can give them a good polish tomorrow.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

mmm paint and polish...
        Doing some satin black on some trim.

Comment

inspiring!

Comment

Nice work, good job on deciding to polish the forks first, I found it a lot easier to do mine while they were stripped down as well, but I can honestly say I don't want to see another piece of sand paper for a looooooong time.
            Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming............sorry, no idea where your spring is from.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              sorry, no idea where your spring is from.
              Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming............
              Thanks.
              Sorry guys, I forgot to mention I figured the spring out.
              It was from the starter solenoid that had gotten opened up due to the crack in it.

Comment

Aaaah! That explains why I didn't remember ever seeing it before...

Given I've been through pretty much every nut, bolt, spring, washer etc. over the last few years I was sure I would've seen it if it was from a 450...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  I was sure I would've seen it if it was from a 450...
                  hah, I knew it had to be from the bike since I hadn't worked on anything else out there in a while though. I was starting to wonder if kids were walking by and throwing random springs at my house when I wasn't looking.

Maybe a gremlin had brought it?

More seriously though, I finally got my first batch of parts from http://gssuzuki.com Took a little while, but everything seems in order. 10 business days isn't that bad. I even saved $6 after shipping and didn't have to deal with the idiots at the local shop.

You know if those parts had come sooner, my bike would be in one piece right now. but I figured 'while it's apart this far' and now I have another batch of parts on order. I imagine its going to be another week or so before the replacement clutch springs and other stuff comes in.

Comment

Boo, the clutch cover gasket that came was wrong. Working with the vendor to get the right one sent out.

Comment

Gotta love the arrival of those red labelled packages

Bummer about the clutch cover gasket though! Should be easy enough to sort...

sigpic

Comment

yeah, I talked to the guy there and he said they'll order me the correct replacement.
                        Now I just have to figure out how to cheaply ship the wrong gasket back.

Comment

There's always one...

Managed to get it out after a few minutes of fighting with it.

Not too bad looking on the surface. unlike the side covers and forks which looked pretty rough to start.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I've seen burnt ones and they look worse than this. Does this look OK to everyone? Does it need any further examination before reassembly?

and is this normal wear for clutch plates? They seem to measure in spec if I measure the thicker body of the disk
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Dig around Basscliffs site, in the electrical section, there should be some sort of stator test you can do, even if it is just checking for continuity to check there are no broken wires.
                              Personaly I would say if the bike did not have any known charging issues, it should be fine, stuff it back in.
                              If the clutch plates are better than minimum thickness as given in the manual, put 'em back, if not, time for new ones.
                              Those covers and forks will clean up better than new with nothing more than sandpaper and elbow grease.

Comment

That stator looks just like mine actually, and I've tested it and around 5K rev's it was pushing out over 70VAC just like it should

There is a resistance test you can do with a multimeter as part of the stator papers, but I can't remember what values you're looking for off the top of my head.

Do that test, install it again, and do the test for continuity between each leg and ground. That's all you can really do before checking AC voltage at 5K rev's.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X