No announcement yet.

Repairing my 1980 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting study in polishing, looks like 160/400/buff is way to go. On a completely diff. Subject, what are you going to run for tires?

Comment

I don't know about the tire's yet. They're probably going to be replaced next spring or later depending on how old they turn out to be, so I haven't looked into it much.
      My stepfather works at a tire distributor, so honestly I'll be checking with him so as to not hear the complaining from him after the fact. If he has access to the tire/sizes I need I'll be getting whichever brand those are. Right now there is a Cheng Shin on the rear. It was replaced when I bought the bike and has less than 1,000 miles on it. Maybe less than 500. The front tire is the same one as when I picked up the bike 3 years ago probably only been on the bike 5 years or so probably 2,000 miles tops. Good tread as far as I can tell. It's a Michelin Macadam. These are the only motorcycle tire's I've ever had under me so I can't compare their performance to anything.

Comment

Well, today Fastenal told me that my order came in and when I went down there it was not the bolts I ordered so I won't be able to put the rotor back on the wheel and mount the caliper on the bike until Wednesday.

Now, after like two days of watching the paint dry on what I call my 'final coat for now' I was ready to remove the tape. As you can see it's not perfect.

Found a spot where the tape was made poorly and not a smooth edge.

and a spot that pulled up probably due to me missing a spot sanding.

And of course there's the 'you didn't press it down well enough and it lifted' spots

and then there's the start/now comparison

Everything that needed a touch-up except the tiny spot on the line on the tail has already been masked and re shot touch-up style.

Then engine side's are drying and I think they look OK for now. Unfortunately I ended up dripping black paint onto the white wheel and that's going to need some work.

Comment

Wow, nice save on that mud guard, most people would have seen it on it's way to the scrap bin, I love seeing ingenuity at work, keep it up, I am following with interest.

Comment

Mate nice work! I know the feeling when you peel that masking off and see those bits that just aren't quite right... did exactly the same with mine, but I was able to fix most of it with some good advice which was pretty cool.

Yours is looking good now
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

here's another update.
              The chain guard got installed today

My engine covers. Try not to hate too much.

Any the rubber bumpers that go on the grab bar were starting to dissolve to the touch. I can't do another $20 to replace them right now, so I've found another use for 'Liquid Electrical Tape'

Comment

Aaaah nice work on those rubbers! I have new ones waiting to go on, but if you don't have the $$$ then that should work a treat

I'll reserve my opinion on the covers until they're on the bike, but I can guarantee I won't be a hater.... haha

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete, I tried to get the stripes at a similar angle, but it's hard when they're off the bike... The rubber things should end up OK, but they'll probably need to be replaced eventually.

I have to tell you, My project would either have turned out not as well, or required a lot more questions if I didn't have alot of feedback coming in from your thread too. Too bad we'll never get to ride these bike together unless the Pacific freezes enough that they open gas stations on the ice

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                    Thanks Pete, I tried to get the stripes at a similar angle, but it's hard when they're off the bike... The rubber things should end up OK, but they'll probably need to be replaced eventually.

I have to tell you, My project would either have turned out not as well, or required a lot more questions if I didn't have alot of feedback coming in from your thread too. Too bad we'll never get to ride these bike together unless the Pacific freezes enough that they open gas stations on the ice
                    Yeah I know what you mean. I made cardboard templates for my stripes so when I masked them I had something to follow to make sure they were straight. I think it worked out ok.

Glad my thread is helping, but it's been far too long without getting a ride in yet!

And yes, pity about the water in the way... can't see me flying mine over any time soon either... it would certainly be a blast!

sigpic

Comment

Ah, nothing like chipping the paint while you assemble everything.
                      I'll post more pictures later, but I just can't do anything more right now. I think I'm just going to put everything back together now. I'll redo it another time...
                      And boo to Fastenal for charging me shipping for in store pickup.

Comment

Bugger! That's the one thing I'm afraid of more than sanding/polishing...

And they charged you shipping for pickup? That's just a tad odd...

sigpic

Comment

1:10AM and I've finished scraping off the old gaskets and reassembly. Filled the bike with fluids. Did a number of tweaks to get it running. Adjusted and so far so good. Idle is fine so far. Battery may need to be replaced soon. I think I've tensioned the wheel appropriately and bled the brake lines. I think it's time for the 1:11 test ride wish me luck!

Comment

twice around two blocks went OK. I didn't get stuck which is always a plus. I didn't get the bike over 20 and there was no power so something needs a bit more tuning. And I'm leaking some oil around the valve cover so I forgot to tighten those appropriately. But the front brake seemed to work great. And with the new suspension front and rear the bike rides at least 100% better from what I've seen. Previously if I bounced up an down while riding it would really go up and down, but with these it reminds me of riding in a Mercedes. Also the front brake no longer makes you dive forward, which is a big plus.

Comment

Ok, time for some pics!

Comment

Correct, you know the rule...pics, or it didn't happen

Comment

Working...
                                X