Repairing my 1980 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fair enough Flyboy.
    Here's the bike this morning. I didn't feel like putting it back on the porch last night.

Here's after this morning test ride. I put a gallon and a half of super in the bike to even out the fuel. I like having a ethanol free gas station right down the road. Had quite a few backfires maybe 6, and then the bike got it's power back. Now my idle is high so time to figure that out.

Now I need to fix whichever new leaks I have.

Comment

Looking pretty good, glad the power came back for you. I should have my brake line by the end of next week then I can scoot up and give you that headlight.

Comment

Mate that's looking good! Those white case covers look better than I thought they would too, except I'd get that oil off quick smart

You need to get that rear wheel done too, brings the rest of the bike down!

I like the little touches with the red too like on the levers and MC, not too over the top either.

A bit of cutting compound on a polishing wheel or something will clean those head nuts right up too
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Oh my Lord, it did happen
          Congrats
          And looking pretty sweet at that, nice job, and I agree with Pete, get that back wheel done, it will finish it off nicely, oh, and you can take the masking tape off the front tyre valve now.
          Just an observation on the stripes on your engine case, feel like redoing them???
          I would turn them slightly so they slope the other way, so that they run parallel to your exhuast headers or cylinder center line, just a subtle change that is more pleasing to the eye.
          At the moment they are the only lines on the bike at that angle, and it looks out of place.
          Otherwise, good job, she is pretty.

Comment

Haha thanks guys. I already pulled the tape off the air inlet. And I know about the stripes being off. Just wanted to check the stripes. The angle on the clutch side came out wrong. Only a few tiny flecks of oil after this spin. Power all the way to 9k on the tach. Up to 70mph fine. I'll get the rear wheel hopefully this week.

Unfortunately my computer keyboard died today. So I'm on the DROID until I bother getting my laptop from its resting place.

I'll update soon.
            thanks!

Comment

Comment

Wow, that's cold. First time my bike has laid tracks in snow.

I got alot of funny looks from people, mostly women and people with Obama 2012 stickers on their SUV's. And the homeless guy by the square asked if I could ride the bike today. Odd since I was riding it at the time and he was on a pedal bike.
                But then I saw this guy riding the road on his electric scooter and I felt better.

Comment

Wow you were riding in that!? You're keen! I hate riding in the rain bad enough without riding in snow... then again I've never seen snow in my life other than in pictures...

sigpic

Comment

I'm not too keen on rain either. I've driven thousands of miles in the snow in cars. I've driven on I80 after it was closed last winter. That was scary because even the plows weren't making it over during the storm. This was an experiment really to see how different it would be on a bike. It was funny how fast the visor fogged up. And how certain spots get extra slippery. I also now realize that it was a poor time to shave the beard.
                    As usual the scariest part was the other people around me driving like they've never seen snow when it snows every year here and we had warning about the storm. I wish people who were afraid or unable would just stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                      I'm not too keen on rain either. I've driven thousands of miles in the snow in cars. I've driven on I80 after it was closed last winter. That was scary because even the plows weren't making it over during the storm. This was an experiment really to see how different it would be on a bike. It was funny how fast the visor fogged up. And how certain spots get extra slippery. I also now realize that it was a poor time to shave the beard.
                      As usual the scariest part was the other people around me driving like they've never seen snow when it snows every year here and we had warning about the storm. I wish people who were afraid or unable would just stay home.
                      Cool, you have to try it to see for sure!

And yes I hear you about those that must drive when they shouldn't... seems the worst drivers only come out when it rains... (or snows in your case!)

sigpic

Comment

Ugh, I just went out on my front porch and the license plate is no longer on my bike.
                        I wonder if it fell off the other day? or if some kids swiped it last night since it was mischief night... I guess it's time to look around and make sure nothing else is wrong before I call the police to report it stolen...

Comment

Ugh, I just went out on my front porch and the license plate is no longer on my bike.
                          I wonder if it fell off the other day? or if some kids swiped it last night since it was mischief night... I guess it's time to look around and make sure nothing else is wrong before I call the police to report it stolen...
                          Bugger! Hopefully nothing else is awry and they've just stashed the plate somewhere too... tried in the letterbox?

sigpic

Comment

The registration card is missing too. I ended up going to the police.

Comment

The registration card is missing too. I ended up going to the police.
                              Bugger! Good idea, you don't want some armed robbery taking place with your number plate or something like that... not much chance of that I'm guessing but better to be safe than sorry...

sigpic

Comment

I picked up my replacement plate this Saturday at a total cost of $22.50 plus like four hours of my time.
                                While I was getting the plate, the girls mentioned how there had been a rash of stolen plates in the last week. She mentioned that she had done four that week. She is one of 6 girls working at that particular notary. There are at least 6 places in my town alone that offer plates as notaries.
                                Seems to me like there is someone in my town who is stealing enough plates to turn their house into a fallout shelter...

I had noticed that my exhaust seemed to be leaking a bit at the connecting part I had already had to make a small repair there previously.
                                This time I decided to remove the pipes so I could do a repair a little better. I figure I'll also paint the part that gets the bolts through it to the head, and do some polishing too.

Looking at the hangers and the coupling part I'm not sure it matches the diagram in the manual so I am wondering if it's had some modifications.
                                I think tomorrow I'll take the coupler to the auto store and see if they have a piece that matches it.

It had this rear spot where it only had one nut on each side.
                                I'm thinking when I put it back on I'll put two on each side. I assume the PO had lost them at some point...

On the front I'll probably need to replace the gaskets, I may put it together again temporarily while I wait for those though.
                                I also figure on replacing the bolts with some stainless ones. I mean for $1.60 for all four of them I don't see why not.

I notice Cyl 2 is a little charred looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X