Aribox Lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aribox Lid

Anyone care to guess what the heck I'm up to?

It'll be a week before this little project produces results..
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM.

It looks like you're planning to cast plastic replacements. Will you need to alter the molds to make thicker parts?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nope.. not plastic..

If I do it right it won't be much thicker than the original metal part.

I should have the mold done tonight but it needs to cure for a week before I can start using it.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Composite, nice

Comment

You got it..

I have the first 2 coats of tooling resin down plus the first layer of glass..
          1 more coat of tooling resin tonight then 2 layers of 6oz glass, sand/resin filler and then more glass to top it off.. Makes a nice stiff mold that should produce lots of parts.

Comment

The mold is done..
            Nothing left to do but wait for it to cure..

I can pull the parting board tomorrow but I should wait 7 days before I pull the stock lid I used for a plug out.

then we can lay up some new lids..
            Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2011, 03:06 AM.

Comment

I lack patience and restraint..

My daughter thought I was making spatulas.. Kinda looks like one I guess

It'll need 6 coats of partall wax and 2 coats of PVA before I can get to making lids.

Comment

HUH?? May I ask why??

Comment

3 good reasons..

I have 1 lid and 2 bikes that need a lid..

Lids rarely come up for sale. (one here in the last 3 months and it came with a air box, none on Ebay completed listings or current)

I have lots of carbon fiber, resin and fiberglass on hand to do the job..

No good reason.. Because I can
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Interesting,don't need one but it's cool to see it being done.

Comment

I hear that these airbox lids are rare because the PO's (or current owner) would take them off because of air intake and exhaust mods (Dynojet instructions I think) then it will be misplaced and lost forever.

Good for you! I bet there will be some interest in these if you'll be making more.

Comment

I would be interested in buying one from you.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                          I hear that these airbox lids are rare because the PO's (or current owner) would take them off because of air intake and exhaust mods (Dynojet instructions I think) then it will be misplaced and lost forever.

Good for you! I bet there will be some interest in these if you'll be making more.
                          There was a article in a 1983 issue of Cycle world that did dyno testing on a few GS1100 configurations.. Airbox lid off and a minor re-jet was only 1 HP less than pods. I bet many lids went MIA after that..

1980GS1000E
                          Intrest noted If it turns out as expected start up a thread in the for sale section.. I need to figure out the real cost in materials to produce these things.

Comment

OK first pull had some air entrapment problems in the corners and I need to put more material in the bolt down tab.. It would work but it's no beauty..

I'll take another swing at it tonight or tomorrow..

Comment

2nd try in the bag...

The first one I used 2oz glass and the 19z oz 12k twill carbon..
                              It's way to heavy for this mold and didn't conform well. It pulled up in the corners even under vacuum and left voids.. I might get it to work in a pressure chamber but not with just vacuum..

This run I ditched the 2 oz glass and put in 2 layers of 3/4 oz glass and a 5.9oz 3k plain weave carbon.. the tabs are 5oz carbon/ 2 layers of 4 oz glass and then another layer of the 5oz carbon. Top it all off with another layer of 3/4 glass.. I didn't get a chance to lay in any kevlar in this lid..

results tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X