Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame integrity after crash. OWWWW

Hi everyone.
    I have a question concerning frame strengh and integrity after front end collision.
    I was recently involved in a motorcycle crash. I was going about 40mph through an intersection when someone, who was not paying attention to what they where doing, pulled out and made a left hand turn while I was already in the intersection, causing me to slam into there rear quarter pannel of there 4 door silver accord(ish) car. They then drove off. Yes they left the scene. LOL
    Meraculusly I am for the most part un injured, my guiardian angle was paying attention. (yes I had a helmet on and jacket)

Needless to say, my fork, front rim, headlight, fender and tire are trash.
    Now to the question. during impact the right hand side pinch bolt on the fork slammed into the frame just below the weld for the down tube, hard enough to punch a whole in it. (the frame) The weld itself is intact and frame apears to be straight. If I have front end looked at, and the hole welded shut could the frame/Bike live on?
    Thoughts and concerns?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2011, 09:43 AM.

That stinks and you're lucky you weren't seriously hurt. Personally, I'd be suspicious of frame straightness/ integrity after a 40mph crash. If a insurance company is involved, they might sign the death notice for this frame to escape future liability problems.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

if you going to have the whole welded why not reweld or gusset the neck just in case as well. it may visually look good but there could be cracks inside the welds?

Comment

Used frames are cheap. Usually about $100 with a title.
        ON the other hand, if it is still straight no there is no reason not to use it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd question why the pinch bolt came far enough around to punch a hole in the frame. Did the fork stops break off or the neck bend that far back??? Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

the fork legs them self are mangled. with the handle bars pointed straight ahead the front wheel is 90 degrees off to the right.
            Will earlier year frames like a 77-78---81 be interchangable?
            No INS company, due to hit and run. plus I only had liability.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Uninsured motorist coverage would be a good thing to look into in the future

Sorry to hear about your bike

Comment

Yeah, sorry to hear about your prang, just glad you got off lightly, bikes can be fixed, bodies, not so much.
                I agree with tkent, if the frame is straight and the neck aint bent, I would just plant the new parts onto it and use it.
                Been there, done that, and never had any problems.

Comment

Working...
                X