1979 GS750 cafe racer winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750 cafe racer winter project

Have myself a nice winter project picked up a 79 GS 750 it has the normal problems the main issue is the bolt on the front of the head to the jugs where the cam chain goes is broke off and it is leaking ALOT so an engine tear down is in order. Here is a pic on the day i bought it.
    Going to track my progress here.

imagejpeg_2_3 by post_james86, on Flickr

Welcome!
    I'm the last guy to say this nomally but...Are you sure you want to cafe such a nice looking bike? I usualy pick up real turds to do my modding on. LOL
    I will say, you can e-bay off a lot of the OEM parts to fund your build as they look to be in good shape. That rear tail section moved forward to a "bumstop" cafe' style seat pad looks pretty good... something to think about.
    Clicked on the link to your album you included. Nice to see a female at the range!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
      Welcome!
      I'm the last guy to say this nomally but...Are you sure you want to cafe such a nice looking bike? I usualy pick up real turds to do my modding on. LOL
      I will say, you can e-bay off a lot of the OEM parts to fund your build as they look to be in good shape. That rear tail section moved forward to a "bumstop" cafe' style seat pad looks pretty good... something to think about.
      Clicked on the link to your album you included. Nice to see a female at the range!
      Thanks she has fun out there and is really accurate.

As far as the bike I plan on keeping the stock tank and colors mainly just looking to bob a bit off of the rear, change the bars, small LED turn signals, paint some engine covers to match the tank, twin headlights, and accordion style covers on the upper part of the forks and a general fluff and buff of all the aluminium pieces.
      never thought of the rear bump stop thing. I will look into it for sure.

Comment

that is really a nice looking bike already :P
        you sure you want to cut some parts out of it?

this will look going in the end anyho

Comment

I agree with the guys here...its a nice looking bike! Find a beater and bob it!

Comment

Yeah sweet looking bike. Be a real shame to cut it up .
            1979 GS750E

Comment

Just a quick update I changed out the bars to a set of drag bars and stripped the tail of the bike. I am going to have to make a bracket if i want to use the factory gauge combo probably going to put in some little 3 in gauges eventually. Pulled the fuel door off, also got the head and jugs pulled and figured out why it was dumping oil, the PO cut the timing chain valley oring during the last install. I also was able to remove the broken bolt in the head. The OEM gasket I ordered was for a later model GS so I am on the hunt for a proper gasket. Still need to fully strip the head and replace valve seals and lap the valves along with all the necessary measuring in the bores,pistons etc. I will get some more pics of the disassembled engine when i go back out.

New Bars

IMAG0264 by post_james86, on Flickr

how i am going to do the seat

IMAG0265 by post_james86, on Flickr

that pesky cut oring

IMAG0266 by post_james86, on Flickr

Comment

Cafe that B!tch!
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy