1978 gs 750e cafe racer rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Mate I'd never done more than change oil and spark plugs when I rebuilt my 450's engine and the only difference between that and yours is that there's twice as many cylinders.

Take your time, measure things properly, and you'll be done before you know it
    I just hope it doesnt take me 10years LOL!

I will keep you guys posted...maybe tommorrow I will take some pics to show you what ive been up to...

Comment

That's some funny stuff right there! Ya see Pete, you try and help a fellow out.... LOL!
      Bag and tag each part, or group of parts. Take lots of digital pics (even with a cell-phone camera) that you can reference later. You should be fine. Look at it this way, you were looking for an engine earlier, if you can save this one GREAT! If not, you are no worse off than you were before.... and you'll have spare parts!

Comment

Originally posted by drivera84 View Post
        I just hope it doesnt take me 10years LOL!

I will keep you guys posted...maybe tommorrow I will take some pics to show you what ive been up to...
        Hahahahaha

See technically it won't be 10 years 'til about February next year so I got plenty of time yet

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
        That's some funny stuff right there! Ya see Pete, you try and help a fellow out.... LOL!
        Bag and tag each part, or group of parts. Take lots of digital pics (even with a cell-phone camera) that you can reference later. You should be fine. Look at it this way, you were looking for an engine earlier, if you can save this one GREAT! If not, you are no worse off than you were before.... and you'll have spare parts!
        So true! Haha!

Yep, good call. The one thing I *didn't* do when dismantling was bag and tag everything, and then I moved house with it in pieces which made it a bit of a nightmare putting things back together at times...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

hi guys,

I donwloaded from cliffs site the service manual and ive been reading through it.

I dont really understand how to take off the piston rods (and with it the cylinders) without first removing the pistons....

Comment

I wouldn't be doing it the normal way. I'd get to the part where they talk about separating the crankcases.

Typically you take the head and cylinders off first, but in your case that's not going to be easy...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

good news...

I found my:

I guess Im going to begin taking everything appart. I will buy ziplock bags, markers, and masking tape to try and make sure I label everything!

Comment

Hi guys,

just wanted to let you all know that not much work has been going in the bike...Ive been busy with lots of other stuff....

I ve continued to spray liquid wrench on the pistons and they dont seem to loosen up.

I was considering cutting off the rods, or destroying the pistons with a drill. What do you guys think? Maybe drilling out the pistons that way I might not have to take out the crankshaft.

Comment

I'd drop a wooden rod down onto the top of each piston and give it a smack with a hammer on each one before doing somthing that drastic.

Comment

I have the head off, and ive been smacking it with a wooden block....nothing. The liquid wrench I sprayed ontop of the pistons leaves a little puddle which does not leak to the bottom. I think they are sealed pretty tight!

If I drill out the pistons I can send the cylinders to get machined, then I can just change the pistons and the rings and maybe get away with just a top end rebuild.

Can I adjust valve clearance with the head off???

Ive been reading about people dipping the carbs in pinesol and with good results, can I dip the whole head?

Comment

Never liked Liquid Wrench. Always went with PB Blaster, although I'm not sure that'll make the difference here.

Comment

Originally posted by drivera84 View Post
                        Ive been reading about people dipping the carbs in pinesol and with good results, can I dip the whole head?
                        yup and it works really good

Comment

Working...
                        X