Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Looking good indeed!

So, first question about those wires under the circular cover... don't touch 'em! Those four wires come from your signal generator (what triggers your ignitor to fire them sparks) and the oil pressure switch (what warns you when your oil pump ain't working), so leave them well alone.

Next question about all those wires going to the electrical plate there... looks to me like the PO has followed the GS Resources best practises and has attempted to locate every ground possible onto the one single grounding point, so this is a good thing! Replicate this on your custom electrics tray if you can. I did this myself...

And just a quick comment about your custom tray... having the R/R underneath for air flow is a good idea, but it looks like you're using the tank mounting bolt to support the front of the tray. I'd suggest you anchor it some other way at the front instead of or in addition to that bolt so that if you have to remove the tank it won't affect your electrics.

As to the breather hose, you need to do *something* with it legally. I believe you can get K&N filters for them, or alternatively you can have them venting into some sort of container. Essentially you need to prevent any potential fluids from exiting in an uncontrolled manner... and you also don't want them going onto your back tyre... I haven't decided what to do with mine yet but I'm thinking of adding some sort of fluid container where the breather hose and carb overflow hoses can be diverted into. Should neaten things up as well as being practical.
    Thanks everyone for the inspiring comments.
    Pete, once again your a big help, I'll leave that first cable alone; although, I accidentally cut one of the wires from that cable but I will fit ix.

I'll look into the other tips but I just bought a little pod breather/filter which looks good, and gets the hose off the back wheel. Thanks again!

I know I'm asking a lot of questions; but, can the fuel overflow hose (I'm guessing thats what it is) be made to go somewhere else other than to the ground? Is it common to have fuel pouring out of it?

Comment

Okay so I thought I would connect the wires all back up and see how I go.
      The good news is the ignition light comes on and the lights and indicators all work.

The bad news is the bike won't start! It's obviously not getting power so the process of elimination begins. For those good with electrics any advice appreciated...i'll try and provide some photos

Comment

Originally posted by Collo View Post
        Thanks everyone for the inspiring comments.
        Pete, once again your a big help, I'll leave that first cable alone; although, I accidentally cut one of the wires from that cable but I will fit ix.

I'll look into the other tips but I just bought a little pod breather/filter which looks good, and gets the hose off the back wheel. Thanks again!

I know I'm asking a lot of questions; but, can the fuel overflow hose (I'm guessing thats what it is) be made to go somewhere else other than to the ground? Is it common to have fuel pouring out of it?
        No probs mate, glad to be of help

I've gotten so much help from this forum it's not funny, so very glad to pass it on when I can...

Where does the hose come from? I'm planning on getting both carb overflows and the breather hose into the same container somewhere... totally undecided where or what as yet though.

Okay so I thought I would connect the wires all back up and see how I go.
        The good news is the ignition light comes on and the lights and indicators all work.

The bad news is the bike won't start! It's obviously not getting power so the process of elimination begins. For those good with electrics any advice appreciated...i'll try and provide some photos
        Kill switch turned off? Right control not connected? Will it crank and not fire or not even crank?
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

ALL WORKING!! Not sure if it's now charging correctly but will test that later.
          You're right Pete, theres a wealth of knowledge; including the wiring diagram, which helped yesterday. Had to remove the tank but that was okay I found some spiders calling it home.

I like that idea about a few hoses sharing the same container, let me know how you go with that. Oh and I should probably explain what fixed the problem...

A yellow and green wire from the main loom was disconnected up under the tank (a long way up I know), no wonder I couldn't find it.

Comment

ALL WORKING!! Not sure if it's now charging correctly but will test that later.
            You're right Pete, theres a wealth of knowledge; including the wiring diagram, which helped yesterday. Had to remove the tank but that was okay I found some spiders calling it home.

I like that idea about a few hoses sharing the same container, let me know how you go with that. Oh and I should probably explain what fixed the problem...

A yellow and green wire from the main loom was disconnected up under the tank (a long way up I know), no wonder I couldn't find it.
            Good stuff! Glad you found those spiders now instead of later

I discovered once that I'd ridden from my house at Wishart to a mate's place at Ipswich (good 40 minutes) with a redback camped under the battery tray... that was an interesting discovery!

Yellow and green wire sounds familiar... kill switch maybe? Not sure... but glad you found it either way

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff! Glad you found those spiders now instead of later

I discovered once that I'd ridden from my house at Wishart to a mate's place at Ipswich (good 40 minutes) with a redback camped under the battery tray... that was an interesting discovery!

Yellow and green wire sounds familiar... kill switch maybe? Not sure... but glad you found it either way
              Thanks Pete. It's coming along and should have it all wired and finished tomorrow. It's looking much cleaner now. Just wiring the battery worries me a little. Photos to come tomorrow though!

Comment

Thanks Pete. It's coming along and should have it all wired and finished tomorrow. It's looking much cleaner now. Just wiring the battery worries me a little. Photos to come tomorrow though!
                Good stuff! Take your time with the wiring and double check every connection.

With the main battery wires, it's pretty easy with red and black for positive and negative, but remember the lead from the starter motor to the starter relay is actually black even though it carries 12v.

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff! Take your time with the wiring and double check every connection.

With the main battery wires, it's pretty easy with red and black for positive and negative, but remember the lead from the starter motor to the starter relay is actually black even though it carries 12v.
                  This had me stumped thanks for clearing it up. So the starter cable that is black is actually positive fed? It's also too short now and I need to buy a new cable tomorrow, I haven't seen cable like it though, its no thick but has thick strands.

Comment

This had me stumped thanks for clearing it up. So the starter cable that is black is actually positive fed? It's also too short now and I need to buy a new cable tomorrow, I haven't seen cable like it though, its no thick but has thick strands.
                    Yeah it got me too! I had it apart for so many years I went to put it together and thought I'd lost it...

I've also had to lengthen mine and I just got some cable rated at 50 amps (continuous) from the local auto store, and that's good for short duration cranking on the bike.

If you look at the starter, you'll see it's grounded by the bolts holding it in place and it only needs 12v from the starter solenoid to kit it over.

sigpic

Comment

Todays update:

All the wiring is done and seems to be working okay (as in charging). The only problem is the brake light does not get brighter when applying the rear brake pedal...but that's something I can live with for now.

As you can see from the photos, it is much more tidy under the seat, I just wish I could get rid of all the hoses etc - oh well.

If anyone has suggestions for the seat that would be much appreciated as it's the next project. I would prefer to keep the seatpan and maybe those side bits but open to any ideas - what works best?

If you haven't figured me out yet - I like photos.

Comment

Mate she's looking very tidy! Well done!

I'd say your brake light is either always on, always off, or not hooked up right

The brake light should turn on when the wire attached to the brake pedal is pulled and there's a ground coming out of the harness along with the two wires for the brake switch, so make sure that ground is good too.

sigpic

Comment

Well it's 2am here and obviously busy at work.

Came up with something maybe a little inspiring; although, I'm not so good with altering photos.

From my last set of photos - to this!

I'm open to criticism... but I don't always listen.

Actually what I was hoping to know is:
                          How hard is it to match a preferred paint colour to high temp heat coloured paint? I like the burnt yellow but finding that in high temp will be next to impossible right?

Comment

My advice would be to ditch the yellow on the engine. It looks out of place there.

I think 'color' should be reserved for body panels. Engines and what not should be a simple black, or silver.

Personally I always liked the look of black engines with the paint filed off the tips of the cooling fins. Gives it that cool black and silver look.

If you would like I'd be happy to do some photo mock up work for you. It's something I enjoy doing and have done for several GS members before. Just send me a PM with the un-edited picture and your ideas for it. It'll give me something to do this afternoon at work

Cheers.

PS I do love the stance you got going on, it looks mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                              My advice would be to ditch the yellow on the engine. It looks out of place there.

I think 'color' should be reserved for body panels. Engines and what not should be a simple black, or silver.

Personally I always liked the look of black engines with the paint filed off the tips of the cooling fins. Gives it that cool black and silver look.

If you would like I'd be happy to do some photo mock up work for you. It's something I enjoy doing and have done for several GS members before. Just send me a PM with the un-edited picture and your ideas for it. It'll give me something to do this afternoon at work

Cheers.

PS I do love the stance you got going on, it looks mean.
                              Thanks for the comments and offer. I'll take you up on that...
                              I tend to agree about the engine paint, only that I feel it needs a highlight somewhere, maybe a valve cover, some BLING! lol

Comment

Well it's 2am here and obviously busy at work.

Came up with something maybe a little inspiring; although, I'm not so good with altering photos.

From my last set of photos - to this!

I'm open to criticism... but I don't always listen.

Actually what I was hoping to know is:
                                How hard is it to match a preferred paint colour to high temp heat coloured paint? I like the burnt yellow but finding that in high temp will be next to impossible right?
                                Personally I don't like the colour, but it ain't my bike so if you like the colour then go for it

I'm with Tim Tom on the cylinders though, black or silver... I got mine and the head wet blasted by a guy up here at Jimboomba and they look spectacular, no finishing required and it's non-abrasive so is safe for cam journals and things, I just needed to get the cylinders honed which I had to do anyway.

So disregarding my colour comment, I love the stance also and the style of the stripes on the tank, should look good!

And glad you took up Tim Tom's offer, he's awesome with that stuff and was the inspiration for my paint job as a result (thanks again Tim Tom!)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X