Fuel Tank Rust Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Rust Removal

Hey trying to resurrect a 1983 GS 450. I have read many articles on removing rust and haven't had much luck removing rust from my fuel tank. Tried Evaporust twice and recently naval jelly twice which worked even better but still a fair amount of rust. Should I try something else, say eff it and try to re line the inside over the rust or take it to a pro? I'm in the Sacramento area FYI if anyone knows a good shop.

Originally posted by Lucygoosey View Post
    Hey trying to resurrect a 1983 GS 450. I have read many articles on removing rust and haven't had much luck removing rust from my fuel tank. Tried Evaporust twice and recently naval jelly twice which worked even better but still a fair amount of rust. Should I try something else, say eff it and try to re line the inside over the rust or take it to a pro? I'm in the Sacramento area FYI if anyone knows a good shop.
    There are heaps of threads on here with many different ways... do some more searching and you'll find plenty of ways to do it

For me, I was happy just doing the POR 15 motorcycle tank repair kit, which includes Metal Ready which converts the rust and prepares the surface for lining.

All depends on how bad the rust is really...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Lucygoosey View Post
      There is LOADS of info on this topic in the archives.

Drop a bunch of nuts and bolts in there and some white vinegar and shake it around. Then fill it with the vinegar and leave it for some hours/days. Rinse, repeat if necessary. Rinse, then if you intend to leave it bare, coat the inside with oil or WD40 to prevent flash rusting.

This is just one of about 5 methods I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

Yeah I have researched all over the net and tried what i think i could pull off without a functioning garage or workspace. I have seen the POR kit and am saving that for a last resort but the vinegar method sound like something I should try.

Comment

Vinegar worked for me.. Let it soak for a few days.. check on it day to day.. use a stuck or something to scrap the sludge and see how the metal looks underneath..

When it's ready drain the vinegar and pressure wash the inside till the water runs clean..

after that I blew it out with air to get most of the water out, dumped in half a quart of rubbing alcohol to help absorb water.. sloshed it around.. dump, repeat, blow in air again to dry then fogged with oil to protect it.

Comment

Vinegar works awesome and cheap too!

Comment

Electrolysis is fun and cheap. It takes a little time and effort but the results are well worth it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You may also look into metal rescue. I haven't used it personally, but just watching some of the before and after vids was pretty impressive. More expensive but it looks to do a good job.

B’laster products are born from professional applications that demand the toughest solutions, where only the strongest survive.

Moto

Comment

[QUOTE=tkent02;1524106]Electrolysis is fun and cheap. It takes a little time and effort but the results are well worth it.[/QUOTE

Ha!

Comment

Working...
                  X