Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks....

You can copy all you want, I hold no patent....LOL

I am happy it is giving you inspiration and motivation to get yours completed as well.

I had a few color combinations I was tinkering with, but the black/white and polished bits and pieces just manifested on it's own almost so I just kept going with it....

even the white piping on the seat goes well with the bike....

Comment

If that is your White 83 GS750E that thing is nice!! I looked at your site. Mine is burgundy but essentially looks identical. I love the bike when it runs... I will see how the new battery goes and probably avoid having to trickle charge it initially. Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      Thanks....

You can copy all you want, I hold no patent....LOL

I am happy it is giving you inspiration and motivation to get yours completed as well.

I had a few color combinations I was tinkering with, but the black/white and polished bits and pieces just manifested on it's own almost so I just kept going with it....

even the white piping on the seat goes well with the bike....

Comment

Yup it's my bike.....

mine was initially Burgundy, but it got a facelift...and a new color....

Comment

If i had the money i would want to do it the same way. I dont even want to know how much you spent...

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          Yup it's my bike.....

mine was initially Burgundy, but it got a facelift...and a new color....

Comment

roughly....this much...

Some quick math.....

tires - 250
            battery - 125
            tin painting - 400
            decals - 60
            header wrap - 120
            SS nuts and bolts - 100
            SS brake lines - 120
            brake pads, engine gaskets, seals, etc - 250
            R1 throttle tube and grips - 25
            seat upholstery - 250
            LED relay - 10
            carb O ring kit - 25 ?
            various spray cans, primer/paint, engine, frame, etc - 100
            polishing compounds - 30
            electrical tape - 7
            rear tail - 35
            and in case I forgot anything - 75

Total - 1982.00 give or take.....

my time and labor, blood, sweat, and tears and complete enjoyment and satisfaction - priceless...........

Overall not a bad price to pay for the end result, I figure it can give me back another 30 years of enjoyment, not sure if I can take and use that much.....

but since November to now it's been fun, and with it being spread out over the many months, it's not so bad on the pocket book, even the wife didn't mind, well most times she didn't.....

the bulk of the money was in the big things tires, battery, seat, not much one could have saved on, maybe the seat, the painting etc, but it would have looked no where near as good as she does right now.....

I figure I will have some good use out of the bike, and if and when my son wants to take over, he will have many miles ahead of him on the bike as well.

Comment

Gatekeeper, how is that black paint holding up?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The Rattle can Appliance Epoxy paint is holding very well actually, I see no chipping or peeling, it's still holding it's gloss, and the bike has been ridden all season last year, washed it a few times, and rode in the rain once....over all it's held up very well.

Actually all the parts painted are holding up well, rims, brake calipers, engine are all still in good shape.

Then only part that gets any wear and or missing paint is the side stand and only the part that I need to push with the boot to get it down...but this I usually touch up every once in a while, just to keep it looking nice....

Comment

just read through this entire rebuild like it was my favorite novel.

awesome job.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                    just read through this entire rebuild like it was my favorite novel.

awesome job.
                    Thanks....I appreciate the kind words....

if your looking for part 2......

check out the Yamaha rebuild.....it might keep you up for another 1/2 hour....

Comment

hah for sure. i plan on referencing a lot of your work when cleaning/polishing/rebuilding some of my gs850.

your patience.....amazing.

Comment

absolutely amazing rebuild my friend im planing something along those lines for my 81 gs 750E

Comment

Originally posted by nightryder View Post
                          absolutely amazing rebuild my friend im planing something along those lines for my 81 gs 750E
                          Thanks, greatly appreciated.....

Best of luck on your build as well, post lots of pictures....

for more ideas and inspiration catch my Yamaha rebuild as well.....I know it's not a Suzuki, but it's a bike......

Cheers

Comment

Reading through this thread right now. Really amazing work. I am actually launching into a full rebuild on the exact same bike, same original color and everything. Will be starting my own build thread shortly, I can only hope mine comes out half as good as yours.
                            1981 Yamaha XS400H
                            1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                            X