Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to 4 cyclinders- Compression???

Hi GSers,

I just got my hands on a 81 GS550 and I am trying to test a few things out before I get rolling on this. Bike only has 16K miles so I assume its okay but I always want to check. I have always had V Twin or parrallel twins (I have an XS 650 Bobber that I built). when I turn the motor on my V or twin, I hear a distinct breathing of the engine and some friction and my twin is in great shape.

Question: without taking my bike to a shop to get it checked out, should the engine make a noticable sound when I turn the rotor? It makes sound when I turn it, but it is very weak sounding and I am not hearing the breath that I hear out of my other bikes. Just curious as I do not have testing equipment.

Any help is appreciated.

Another unrelated thing, I see that the GS parts sites that I have been to have 14mm wire caps and 10-12mm wire caps. Why? I have a 81 GS550T maybe the different models. I am surprised how much the book doe snot say.

Anyway thanks,

Pnedac

Originally posted by pcaden View Post
    Hi GSers,

I just got my hands on a 81 GS550 and I am trying to test a few things out before I get rolling on this. Bike only has 16K miles so I assume its okay but I always want to check. I have always had V Twin or parrallel twins (I have an XS 650 Bobber that I built). when I turn the motor on my V or twin, I hear a distinct breathing of the engine and some friction and my twin is in great shape.

Question: without taking my bike to a shop to get it checked out, should the engine make a noticable sound when I turn the rotor? It makes sound when I turn it, but it is very weak sounding and I am not hearing the breath that I hear out of my other bikes. Just curious as I do not have testing equipment.

Any help is appreciated.

Another unrelated thing, I see that the GS parts sites that I have been to have 14mm wire caps and 10-12mm wire caps. Why? I have a 81 GS550T maybe the different models. I am surprised how much the book doe snot say.

Anyway thanks,

Pnedac
    You first 4 cylinder and you have an 1100 in your sig?
    v-twins have a much longer stroke, more friction and more sounds, harder to turn.
    If it makes noise at all its a good sign, run a cold compression check on it.
    Wire caps or spark plug size? 2 valves have the bigger 14mm plugs and 4 valves have 12mm to make room for more valve area, newer ones have even smaller 10mm plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      You first 4 cylinder and you have an 1100 in your sig?
      And he's asking about a 550.

2 valves have the bigger 14mm plugs and 4 valves have 12mm to make room for more valve area, newer ones have even smaller 10mm plugs.
      The 550s and 650s, although they are 8-valve engines (2 per cylinder), also have smaller 10mm plugs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        And he's asking about a 550.

The 550s and 650s, although they are 8-valve engines (2 per cylinder), also have smaller 10mm plugs.

I just looked up an 81 550 and it takes a b8es, 14mm plug
        Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I certainly appreciate the feedback. I had a GS1100E and I actually never had to check the compression in the 3 years I had it. Goes to its credit of course so I am glad to be holding a 550 for restoration. I measured the spark plug and measured 14mm where it goes into the engine. I hope I have the right stuff pegged down. Anyway thank you, I went out again while it was quiet at night and I think it is fine. I get that it is sharing the turn with four cylinders instead of just two. I think after building my first bike it is all so fascinating now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I just looked up an 81 550 and it takes a b8es, 14mm plug
            So it's just the 650 with the smaller plug?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X