Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo Hoooo!!!! Got a tank for the 1000!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo Hoooo!!!! Got a tank for the 1000!!!

Been looking for over two years, ever since I got this bike which had a 1100G tank on it at the time. I'm cheap, not going to spend $600 for a tank for a $300 project. Finally found one, $40, no leaks, little rust, just a few small dents.
    Been swirling it around with kerosene and aquarium rocks for a few days, it's going to be good. Now if I can just find all the parts I "borrowed" off of it over the last few years.....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Been swirling it around with kerosene and aquarium rocks for a few days, it's going to be good. Now if I can just find all the parts I "borrowed" off of it over the last few years.....
    Congrats on the find.

You have access to a small cement mixer? I know a guy that has wrapped gas tanks in foam rubber and old carpet pieces, then wedged it all into a cement mixer and let it run for a couple hours. He will reposition the tank to change the path of the rocks inside, and let it run again. Just a few rounds in the mixer and the inside of the tank looks like new.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Congrats on the find.

You have access to a small cement mixer? I know a guy that has wrapped gas tanks in foam rubber and old carpet pieces, then wedged it all into a cement mixer and let it run for a couple hours. He will reposition the tank to change the path of the rocks inside, and let it run again. Just a few rounds in the mixer and the inside of the tank looks like new.

Cement mixer?
      What, the new dryer isn't good enough?

Comment

Are you going to be hanging on to the 1100G tank? I can use one if you will be selling it. (if it's not an "L") Thanks
        1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

Sorry, it's long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Cement mixer?
            What, the new dryer isn't good enough?
            Well, SURE, a dryer will work, but this guy is a gen-u-ine Nebraska redneck, so he used what was out by the shed.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the note. Congrats on finding another part for your project
              1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Well, SURE, a dryer will work, but this guy is a gen-u-ine Nebraska redneck, so he used what was out by the shed.

What about what's IN the shed? My dad cleaned out the tank from his 49 Farmall Cub buy attaching it to the wheel of the (edit: jacked up) riding mower. Lots of ways to skin a cat, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X