'81 GS550 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS550 Cafe Build

I bought this "Redneck Rocket" yesterday for a cool c-note. It was advertised in Craigslist "as is" and rumor has it (from the guy I bought it from, who I actually trust) that it was running recently. Carbs were cleaned last year. Origin seems to be Indiana.

Rumor also has it that the charging system isn't working.

But let me back up and show some pics first.

Picking her up. That tank paint job as gotta go. I'm not exactly a fan of WWII German Eagles as tank art.

Gauges. Sooooo close to 20,000 miles. Will she ever get there? Maybe, but not soon!

Carbs. Don't look too bad. With those pods, I'd better check the jetting at some point. So much to do.....

No seat with the bike. Apparently it's the "L" version of the GS550 with the stepped seat. I'm going to completely remove the fender and replace it with a cafe-style seat.

Hmmmm...interesting wiring "modification" No turn signals anywhere, no high beam, no running light.

Headers don't look to bad. Lots of sludge on the engine. Tach cable looks stripped out.

Let's look underneath the tank.......easy enough since there are no bolts, rubber pieces, or anything else holding it on. Looks ok here.

Brakes kinda seem to work with some pumping. A quick check shows that the brake fluid has the consistency of maple syrup (here is the front reservoir). Yikes! Rear cylinder is dry and the caliper clearly had a leak of some sort.

Bike won't start. I posted up some questions and pics in the electrical/ignition sub-forum.

First thing will be to tear some things off. I hope to get her running before I do a full tear-down, but we'll see where things go.

The goal is to convert her into a cafe racer. More soon.

I'd better get a new key too. This one doesn't work too well.

Comment

Awesome. Looks like we are both entering into a winter project together. I'm just one year ahead of you and the M model of this bike. Good luck on your project!
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

looks like a great find and start to a new project! cant wait to see some more progress

Comment

I think I've solved a bit of a mystery about my GS.

The styling looks like the "L" version, but the VIN and paperwork indicate that it's a "T" version. The tank and angle of the bike while sitting look more like the "T" as well.

With the side covers missing I was going on the rear sissy bar, which I thought only the "L" had. However, I've managed to find a few pics on the internet with "T"s that have the same styling.

So I'm pretty sure I have a "T"! Specs on the web on further confusing because it seems at much of the world got dual disc brakes in 1981, but the US bikes did not.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mac View Post
            I think I've solved a bit of a mystery about my GS.

The styling looks like the "L" version, but the VIN and paperwork indicate that it's a "T" version. The tank and angle of the bike while sitting look more like the "T" as well.

With the side covers missing I was going on the rear sissy bar, which I thought only the "L" had. However, I've managed to find a few pics on the internet with "T"s that have the same styling.

So I'm pretty sure I have a "T"! Specs on the web on further confusing because it seems at much of the world got dual disc brakes in 1981, but the US bikes did not.
            Looks like a T to me. That bar really isn't a Sissy bar as much as it is a grab bar.

Photo with bike with bar installed (click image to see larger image):

Also note the seat, it isn't as flat as some, but does not have the stepping that the L models have.

If you decide to get rid of that bar let me know it looks to be a fair bit cleaner than the one I have.

The T model 550's are kind of a rare bird. It seems they used parts that were left over to come up with a mixed model that isn't fully standard, but not fully L either. And yes, they only came with one disk up front. Also there is some confusion as to whether they came with painted or chrome front fenders, but I've seen enough painted that I think the chrome ones are replacement fenders (mine at one point had chrome up there but I found a painted one to replace it)

Comment

nice project....keen to see how it goes!

Comment

With the frame rails going straight across with no dip after the fuel tank,
                I believe that it is indeed a T model.
                With the blue exhaust pipe, you can be pretty certain that the jetting is too lean,
                With these rusted to death looking bolts holding the head pipes on, it looks
                like you are in for plenty of work getting them off and out after breaking.
                Definitely try heating and cooling cycles on them

At least it is a good starting point!

Daniel

Comment

Nice find, you have a good solid base to work from, I have seen way worse bikes brought back to life with some TLC by the members here.
                  I will be following with interest.
                  I think this is going to be a nice build, keep the updates and pics coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                    Looks like a T to me. That bar really isn't a Sissy bar as much as it is a grab bar.

Photo with bike with bar installed (click image to see larger image):

Also note the seat, it isn't as flat as some, but does not have the stepping that the L models have.

If you decide to get rid of that bar let me know it looks to be a fair bit cleaner than the one I have.

The T model 550's are kind of a rare bird. It seems they used parts that were left over to come up with a mixed model that isn't fully standard, but not fully L either. And yes, they only came with one disk up front. Also there is some confusion as to whether they came with painted or chrome front fenders, but I've seen enough painted that I think the chrome ones are replacement fenders (mine at one point had chrome up there but I found a painted one to replace it)
                    Wow! Your bike looks gorgeous. It's great to see what mine would have looked like new.

I'll snap some pics of the grab handle when I take it off (likely tonight) and PM you. If you like it, it's yours for the cost of shipping (I figure I've already saved a small fortune with the helpful advise I've found on here).

Looking through the service manual, it does seem like the "T" was a bit of a parts bin model. It is pretty sweet though, with a classic 70s look mixed with a little 80s styling. The tech isn't bad either (rear disc brake is a nice touch - my 2002 Shadow didn't have that!).

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      With the blue exhaust pipe, you can be pretty certain that the jetting is too lean,

Daniel
                      Yeah. I'm thinking a few cycles of PB blaster and some torch heat mixed in. My track record with rusted fasteners isn't so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Daniel
                        Yeah. I'm thinking a few cycles of PB blaster and some torch heat mixed in. My track record with rusted fasteners isn't so great. As long as they don't snap right at the head (which they probably will) I should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Nice find, you have a good solid base to work from, I have seen way worse bikes brought back to life with some TLC by the members here.
                          I will be following with interest.
                          I think this is going to be a nice build, keep the updates and pics coming.
                          Thanks. Your build thread is on my reading list for tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mac View Post
                            Wow! Your bike looks gorgeous. It's great to see what mine would have looked like new.

I'll snap some pics of the grab handle when I take it off (likely tonight) and PM you. If you like it, it's yours for the cost of shipping (I figure I've already saved a small fortune with the helpful advise I've found on here).

Looking through the service manual, it does seem like the "T" was a bit of a parts bin model. It is pretty sweet though, with a classic 70s look mixed with a little 80s styling. The tech isn't bad either (rear disc brake is a nice touch - my 2002 Shadow didn't have that!).
                            Thanks, I can't take total credit for it. Actually about all the credit I can take is the patience to not part it out when it was in pieces.

In all honesty that is pretty much how it came to me, for the most part. Cosmetically the only differences are the seat (another member who was chopping their 550 sold me a pristine seat for a good price) was ripped when I got it, it was missing the grab bar (again another member was getting rid of the one I got due to chopping), and the front fender was chrome, I found that one on eBay the color is a perfect match but it is a plastic, not metal fender, but unless you get close you can't tell. Non-cosmetically second gear was shot and I drove it for a year or two totally skipping over that gear, thus a teardown and rebuild was started. I won't bore you with the details but there is a thread somewhere detailing the bits and how long it took.

But yes, it is now a pretty good example of what a 550T would have looked like when new. All be it with some upgrades (allen bolts replacing all the philips on the cases etc, and exhaust studs rather than bolts).

Amos

Comment

Ok. So I made some progress on the bike today.

The good news first.

My replacement relay/solenoid arrived. Old one on the left, new one on the right. A quick continuity test showed hope.

My replacement kill/starter switch also arrived (thanks again Ebay). Looks great and tested out 100%.

So far so good. I hooked everything up and YES (!) the starter now turns over. I didn't try to start it yet (no fuel tank setup yet - I'll use a temporary one tomorrow).

I also got this so that I can replace valve shims at some point.

I bought these for checking clearances more easily.

And this is probably a good idea too.

In trying to balance tool purchases with "fun" items, I went ahead and ordered some cheapo clubman bars to see how they'd look. A few pics of the bars:

Old

New!

Next post will have the BAD news.

Comment

Working...
                              X