Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disassembly Tips needed

Hey guys,

I originally bought this GS550M as a quick "get 'er runnin and sell her" project but after spending some time on this forum, I've decided to rebuild her. Gotta work on the wife part of this plan (and the money of course) but you guys have inspired me to say the least.

However, I've never torn a bike completely down to the frame before and I'm concerned I will forget how to put it all back together again haha.

Anyway, I'm interested in your tips and tricks for tearing the bike down and making sure everything goes back in its rightful place. How do you keep track of all the little bolts and washers and wires and such? Is it really as simple as ziplocks and pictures.

Thanks for the advice!

Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

A manual, wiring diagram (in colour if you can find it), lots of ziploc baggies, a sharpie, some masking tape or labels, and a digital camera.
    Bag everything, or label everything. Take lots of pics of where things go and how they're oriented as you take it apart. Lots of labels, lots of bags, lots of pics.

Comment

Yep, all of the above.

Oh, and after your fourth or fifth bike, it's all second nature, so get busy.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lots of pics....yup....

I have so far taken 587 pictures of my tear down, used about 60 Ziploc bags, the large freezer ones, two coolers, 2 cardboard boxes, and a large plastic container.....

I have downloaded the Manual for my bike, to help in the rebuild, and for torque specifications, as well as anything I might not remember, once I start putting things back....

From what I have seen, there really isn't much you can do to put things in the wrong place, each screw has it's particular spot, as does a nut or bolt, there is not a lot of interchangeability ( is that a word? )

My bigger fear, is not where things go, but what to start with, is it as simple as going in the revers of what I did to take it apart, if that is the case, the pictures will really help.....

Just take your time......

My tear down is almost done, only the engine and air box are left, then it's just a frame.......wooohoooo

Comment

The only problem, and I know this from experience, when you think you'll remember how something goes back together, or where you put stuff etc, is that inevitably you're not going to move along on the project as fast as you think you will.. Life always gets in the way, and a project that you think will take you a couple weeks, turns into months, and in my case lately, YEARS....

Of course, this is all my own doing, too many irons in the fire, too many commitments, etc etc. I just need to learn to tell people "NO, im sorry, I cannot help you with your bike, i need to finish what ive started elsewhere..."

But i hate being like that...

Comment

Yup... These bikes are relatively simple to work on. You can always make something harder than it truly is, but old Suzuki bikes are pretty forgiving. bag n' tag everything, use a good manual, and take good pics you'll be set!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Cafekid. It all looks simple when you take it apart but 3mos down the road, what was that thing for?

Anyway, sounds like if I forget something, and I will, I've got the team for assistance.

Ok, off to get some boxes and some zippies tomorrow and get busy!

Sci85
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Another nice thing about most of the manuals, for sure the Zook shop ones, but I think the Clymer manuals do it to, is that they usually have cable routing diagrams. A while back I did a down to the frame resto/mod for another members 1100E. Everything was going great except I had a dickens of a time getting the wiring loom back in the frame and routed where it was supposed to be. I must have pulled that thing out and put it back in 10 times before I figured it out lol. If I'd had the darn diagram it wouldn't have taken so long

Comment

Another good source of what order things go back together is the exploded parts diagrams on the vendor sites like Alphasports or Babbits, like this one;

And of course, you always have us.................
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X