Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing a DIY backrest...okay, sissy bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a DIY backrest...okay, sissy bar.

This is a very minor project at the moment and it may remain so for some time. Thinking about fabbing a rack, or modifying one off an XS 650 (saw it done on another site) and the first thing that needs to happen is to remove the sissybar welded on the pillion grab bar.

I have hated the homemade sissybar on this bike since I got it. You can see why.

Way I figure it, having a Harley-Davidson backpad on an old Zook is an invitation to a butt-whooping by po'd dentists and accountants out for a ride. Don't need that kind trouble, ya' know?

So, out came the angle grinder this afternoon. Took pictures of the ensuing carnage.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2011, 06:51 AM.

It has bugged me since day one. Not like anyone would be fooled by it.

Been spending some time reviewing some of the builds on this site and on Do the Ton. I figure if people can tear their bikes down to dirt and washers and rebuild them, I should be able to get that danged HD pad off my otherwise pretty decent bike.

Comment

Mate I'm glad to see that being removed... it's horrid!

I'm not even worried about the HD badge, it just doesn't belong on there...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Agreed, Pete.

Planning on more grinding/cutting this evening.

Comment

I can see not giving a crap about the logo if it was something handy and comfortable, but welding it to the grab handle is just too much! Oh yeah, and the triangle of death frame...loving it! (where is the sarcasm font on here?)
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'll give 'em this much... at least it was a neat welding job

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              I'll give 'em this much... at least it was a neat welding job
              That's what I was thinking, too.

Creative enough to weld it to something that was already rather solid and would not get in the way.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can I have it?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Can I have it?
                  The H-D pad? If that's what you want, shoot me a PM with address.The "triangle of death" is in no shape to be used for much of of anything.

Notice anything about the disc?

Started working on polishing the sidecases...long way to go.

The brake pedal was bent years ago. My propane torch doesn't get it hot enough to bend. Will have to find someone with something a tad warmer to get it back to original orientation.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    That's what I was thinking, too.

Creative enough to weld it to something that was already rather solid and would not get in the way.

Yea, the welding was well done. I always appreciate intelligent conservation of resources and if I needed a backrest on this bike...maybe.

As it is, it goes. Been on there too long already.

Comment

Spotted this on a Triumph site. Sits under the seat and hold panniers away from the wheels. Might try this method and avoid hanging a rack on the back...assuming I could even find a rack for this bike. It's a DIY solution, inexpensive, effective and easily removed when not using bags. I like the simplicity.

Comment

Not quite "easily removable", but I made some brackets for the bags on my wife's bike.

I had some brackets to re-locate the turn signals to the license plate area, so the bags moved back a bit, but were no longer supported by the shocks.
                        Took advantage of the situation to also support them to keep them off the mufflers.

Crudely done, for sure, but it was quick and cheap, and has been in use for about 5 years, now.

Used about 18" of 1" x 1/8" flat stock and about 6' of 5/16" rod.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's pretty clever, Steve. I like that you've supported the underside of the bags too.

The guy that came up with the bracket I posted went to something very much like yours. Not sure how he attached it.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Not quite "easily removable", but I made some brackets for the bags on my wife's bike.

I had some brackets to re-locate the turn signals to the license plate area, so the bags moved back a bit, but were no longer supported by the shocks.
                          Took advantage of the situation to also support them to keep them off the mufflers.

Crudely done, for sure, but it was quick and cheap, and has been in use for about 5 years, now.

Used about 18" of 1" x 1/8" flat stock and about 6' of 5/16" rod.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Steve, I have something floating in the back of my mind that those pic's may help me with if I do something about it...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X