No announcement yet.

T8's 750 Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks clean and simple, although i know there is nothing simple about it.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks guys! I got to it again this weekend. I was able to get the shock mounts all welded in and the center piece cut out and ground down. I'm pretty pleased with the result. The stock/original mounts were bent and the threads were totally messed up so I beefed these ones up to the max 16mm for the shock mount shaft and 12mm for the threaded portion. They welded in nicely and I just couldn't help myself. . I had to put as much of it together as I could tonight just so I could see her standing on her own! I'm prob gonna rattle can the frame just to inhibit rust because I plan on putting the motor back in and shakin' her down even though it's freezing here. I want it all powder coated by spring so the paint is only temporary. Anyways quite a bit of progress. Now I just need to get the tank mount finished up and finish my seat plug. More steady progress to come.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
        Man, that upper shock mount is a beauty. Also a great idea since that will tie everything together solidly. Good work.
        What he said...brilliant! Good work T8.
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

looks great. what are the rearsets from mate?

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
            looks great. what are the rearsets from mate?
            They are from a 1994 GSXR1100 I do believe. I have found that there are a couple different variations of this particular style and also one other style with totally different dimensions so if you plan to buy some try to buy them in a set. It will save you a ton of trouble and is worth the extra couple $$ you might save from mixing and matching a set (I attempted to mix and match )

Comment

Rear Tank Mount

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!! Last night I was able to finish up the tank mounting situation. I used a piece of tubing I had left over from the rear end of the bike and welded a piece of 1/8" sheet metal to it to cap it off. I cleaned up the weld then inched away at the length on the grinder till I got the tank mocked just right. I didn't know where the stock grommet and bolt went from my last tank so I found a grommet through Fastenal that would work and I had some extra 8mm bolts laying around so I used one of those. I welded the tube in place then drilled and tapped a hole in it. If you do this be sure to drill and tap your hole last because you'll want to line your tank up and get it as straight as you can. Here are some pics. Don't mind the rust or the ugliness of the welds. After a good sandblast it will all look much better. Plus it doesn't have to be too pretty because it's all getting covered up.

Now I can work on the fitment of the seat plug and do a final alignment and shaping. I already have the fiberglass ready to go so hopefully that's the one of the next things to get done.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Some very nice fabrication sir. It is coming together nicely. Well done. It is going to look really nice when completed. I can't wait to see.

Comment

Nice job. I like the line that fades into the tail..well done.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

its good to see someone with a sense of proportion! very nice work going on here.

Comment

oh my god, I'm so tired, but this bike is so inspiring.

Comment

It's looking great T8er. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words! It means a lot to me that so many folks are diggin' what I'm doing. Didn't do a whole lot to it this weekend because it's pretty much time to clean the carbs and I'm dreading it. I did, however take it for a gravity assisted, 7 mile long ride today. Got up to 45MPH with the rolling chassis. I just felt out the braking capability of the front brake, the footpeg position, and the stability of it as a whole. It rode very nicely and tracked straight. I'm stoked to throw the motor in her and put it through some corners under power. Lastly, I am bringing on my second bike project this upcoming weekend. My uncle is GIVING me his Yamaha XS400 fo freeeee. I'm stoked! Anyways, yup, I just wanted to thank everyone who has been following my build!

Comment

I'm diggin' it too, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodie View Post
                              What do you need? I have one for the N & EN and one for the LN.

EDIT:Here is one for the N & EN. The only difference I can see is the fuel gauge.

[ATTACH]21050[/ATTACH]
                              I'm not sure which one mine is.. I just know it's an 'E' model. Is that the same as an EN? Ha I'm embarrassed I don't know!

In other news I picked up my new motorcycle this weekend. 1980 Yamaha xs400. I'm going to build it into more of a brat/cafe bike that I can take around the fields and hills. Since it's a twin and my bike is a one seater I figured it would be great for a chick so when I invite a date on a motorcycle ride she can be taken by surprise when we pull up to the garage and I give her one for herself haha. If she's gonna be with me she might as well know how to ride! I don't want to end up with a chick who makes me sell my motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
                                I'm not sure which one mine is.. I just know it's an 'E' model. Is that the same as an EN? Ha I'm embarrassed I don't know!

In other news I picked up my new motorcycle this weekend. 1980 Yamaha xs400. I'm going to build it into more of a brat/cafe bike that I can take around the fields and hills. Since it's a twin and my bike is a one seater I figured it would be great for a chick so when I invite a date on a motorcycle ride she can be taken by surprise when we pull up to the garage and I give her one for herself haha. If she's gonna be with me she might as well know how to ride! I don't want to end up with a chick who makes me sell my motorcycle
                                Smart thinking man, just got caught up on the build since I haven't been able to get on here in a while. Bike is looking sick! If you need I think I have the schematic of the wiring diagram you are looking for and can drop ya off a copy.
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X