82 850GL Resto...here we go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 850GL Resto...here we go

I've been hesitant to start this thread because it means that I've gone ahead and taken the dive into restoring my bike. After digesting as much information on this site I have been able to over the last few months and keeping up with other projects in this forum, I am ready to go. Let me introduce you to my 82 GS850GL. This is my first bike. I bought it as a gas saver from and friend and have ridden all fall. After learning about the history of the GS's I am really pleased with this purchase. I enjoy turning a wrench and getting my hands greasy. This project will be special because, as much as possible, my 6th grade son will be my partner. He seems pretty excited about it and I think it will be a great opportunity for us to bond. But that also means I can't just get in the zone and knock out everything as fast as I would if I were working by myself. That's ok though. I choose him over the bike.

Here are a few pics to get things rolling:

The day after I bought her and gave her a good bath and rub down with Never Dull. I also removed the luggage rack, highway pegs, stickers on the tank, and about 10 pounds of grease. The pods were so dirty I couldn't even tell they were K&N's until I wiped the gunk off the chrome caps. Some bits and pieces missing, but it ran decent and I was excited about having a bike.

I replaced the plug caps, speedo and tach cables and a few other odds and ends like the head light. (H4 Silver Star) After that I decided to ride instead of tearing into the bike further. Fall was upon us.

The fall weather is wearing off and the cold is settling in. I took her in and got some new RWL shoes with new fork seals. The one thing I decided to not do on my own.

Started tearing down this to see what I am getting into. I took the pipes off. They will be ceramic coated with a titanium finish. The gunk is all from oil leaks. Had my impact driver out and ready to go but decided to try it with my ratchet first. Much to my surprise the hex bolts were only hand tightened and all came out with ease. Not broken bolts! yet....

Pretty.....

Think this looks ok?

When I got the bike the center stand came with it but was off the bike and had none of the mounting hardware or spring. I ordered the parts and Charlie and I installed it tonight. Where does the rubber cushion go for the stand? I saw it on the diagram, but don't know where it actually goes.

The goal is to get it mechanically sound and looking good. I think almost every cover gasket is leaking. Clutch, tach, chain tensioner, oil pan, valve cover, etc. I'll be replacing all of these. I will be pulling the motor to clean it up, fix leaks, etc.

The wiring harness will need some work as well. The bike runs, but the running lights don't work (gauges, tail light). The has been some creative wiring for sure on the bike.

Right now I think I will take it down to the frame and have that powder coated as well. We'll see.

What would you guys work on first if this was your bike?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM.

I hope you two have plenty of good hours spent around this and other motorcycles. Make it a life long thing.

It already looks pretty solid, so I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say you want to make it look good. I might start with stock turn signals and brake light, then start thinking about paint for the side cover to match the tank.

The bumper for the center stand goes on the left exhaust hanger bracket. Which you don't have. You can see them here, attached to the muffler, without a separate part number. You'll have to fabricate a little bracket for the bumper.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks Dogma. I have a stock tail light to go back on and an air box as well. Both of those came from Elevatorman71. As far as cosmetics, I want to clean it up and paint/powder coat the frame, tank, covers, etc. The header is blued and I want to get it ceramic coated. Cheaper than a new pipe.

I thought about that cushion going on the stock exhaust after I posted up. Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Comment

Ill be watching this closely and try to help out wherever I can. Its nice to see another L out there. Did you purchase that seat cover? If so, what is it?

Comment

We L owners have to stick together and keep our bikes from becoming Cafe'd or bob'd.

The seat cover came on the bike. It has some tears around the seat pan, but they aren't that noticeable unless you look under the seat.

Glad to have you along for the ride JS.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
            We L owners have to stick together and keep our bikes from becoming Cafe'd or bob'd.

The seat cover came on the bike. It has some tears around the seat pan, but they aren't that noticeable unless you look under the seat.

Glad to have you along for the ride JS.
            Hear, Hear! Of course, this comes from an L owner whose bike rubbed up against a younger "G" and some parts morphed over...... At least it wasn't cafe'ed or bobbed.

Comment

L models....lol.

Looking clean already, that carbon build up in the exhaust ports is normal for a 30 year old bike.

Comment

Made the mistake of looking on Ebay Motors this week and typing in Suzuki GS. I was tempted to stop this and purchase an 82 GS1100GL with 5700 miles on it. But it was not to be. Moving on....

Got started tonight with both of my assistants (11 and 8). Took the tank off and started labeling everything before we start unplugging anything.

As I was going through the wires, I came across these. They were all fused together. After popping them apart and checking the diagram....hmm...let's see....oh those are my "alternator & rectifier" wires. We'll be fixing those... I now know why BassCliff says "check the connections first" if your bike isn't charging.

We'll finish up labeling everything tomorrow and maybe have a little time to start tearing down some more.

Comment

Outstanding narrative, photos and bike. You are giving a life point experience for your helpers. I never ceases to amaze me with the way the intangible benefits come out of the relatively cheap investments in these bikes.

Thanks for including us in the build.
                  Hondas
                  '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                  Suzuki
                  '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                  Kaw
                  '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

You Definitely had some bad connectors some of those look a little burnt. Project looks good. Glad to hear you have your helpers out there. Mine is helpful till the I want to play bug takes over...lol.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                      Outstanding narrative, photos and bike. You are giving a life point experience for your helpers. I never ceases to amaze me with the way the intangible benefits come out of the relatively cheap investments in these bikes.

Thanks for including us in the build.
                      Thanks Yasser, glad to have you along. The more I do the more I am motivated. I'm learning that this is not going to be as complicated as I thought. (Famous last words right?) I think we'll be able to get her looking and running really good.

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                      You Definitely had some bad connectors some of those look a little burnt. Project looks good. Glad to hear you have your helpers out there. Mine is helpful till the I want to play bug takes over...lol.

Paul
                      They do look a little crispy don't they? I was thinking about rebuilding the wiring harness, but the more I look at I think I just need to clean it up a bit and replace connectors.

The play bug hits my helpers too. It was pretty cool last night though. Elizabeth wound up going in after a while and then Charlie just sat out in the garage with me and talked his head off while I continued to label wires. Good Times.

Paul, I'm enjoying reading your build as well. Good work.

Comment

Have been out of town for the holidays so I haven't been able to do any more work on the bike. I did get some pretty cool stuff from Santa though.

Gasket scraper, SS bolt set and a tappet depressor/shim tool. Sweet.

Looking forward to getting back and getting to it.

Comment

Ahh, some good booty indeed! Looks like you've been a good boy this year

I also have some helpers (13 & 10) when I can get them away from the game console haha. But even when it's just a day here or there, it's still quite enjoyable to have them help out and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way

Are you planning any changes along the way?

Sci85
                          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                            Ahh, some good booty indeed! Looks like you've been a good boy this year

I also have some helpers (13 & 10) when I can get them away from the game console haha. But even when it's just a day here or there, it's still quite enjoyable to have them help out and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way

Are you planning any changes along the way?

Sci85
                            It's fun with the kids for sure. They seem to like it in short amounts of time.

My plan is to restore the bike not customize. Of course I have an aftermarket pipe and Pods. I also have an airbox for it and am trying to decide if I will stick that back on or stay with the pods. I think I'll wait and see if the PO who put them on jetted the carbs correctly for the pods and pipe. If not I'll go back to the air box for sure. If so then I'll have to decide. Eventually I'd like to have another set of carbs with the right jetting for either the air box or pods. That way I can just switch them out at will. Just have to see what I actually have first. I think it's be pretty cool to have one set on the bike while I was cleaning the others.

Comment

That would indeed be cool if the funds allowed it. But removing the airbox may be more of a PIA than it's worth, at least with any regularity. I'm with you though on finding a baseline before tweaking. Since you've already been riding it, you should have at least a feel for how it runs on the current jetting and pod setup. Also check the spark plug color and take some pics while you're at it. Will help if/when you need to rejet.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Sci85
                              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                              X