GS1100/GS1000 Bandit project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100/GS1000 Bandit project

Well I have been asked to start this post about the project I am working on. I am using an 81 1100E frame
    80 1100E Body Work
    83 1100E Rear wheel
    79 GS1000 Motor, Wiring, Instrumentation.
    2002 Bandit Front End (Complete)

So far So good. I think I am the most proud of Carrying the motor BY MYSELF from the the old bike to the new frame and sliding into place by myself. Not bad for a 50 year old.
    The motor lined up nicely and required just a spacer on the lower left motor mount.

Making the Bandit Front End work

Ok, First, I have the thank Frankenzuki for all his help and never getting tired of my questions.
    The Bandit front end needed to have its steering stem swapped out for a GS1100 Stem. Lots of effort required to press the old one out and press the new one in, but its done.
    WHAT A LOOK! Makes the 1100 look like its ready for a fight, I love it. Clean and mean.

Issue- The bandit front end has no mounting tabs for anything!
    So, I used a set of DR650 head light stays which fit nicely over the fork tubes ( I forget how many mm they are but they are the same mm fork tubes)
    The stays were abit short so I made a collar to take up the difference out of PVC Pipe. ( I know but thats the best I could come up with.)
    You can see them in the picture and thye are hardly noticable now.

The head light stays only give me something to bolt to, nowto fabricate an instrument and headlight bracket.

P.S. had to cut the steering stops off the frame and weld new ones in for the bandit. DONE Too!

Comment

Bracket

Well here is what I came up with as the foundational piece for the gauges and headlight and blinkers mount.
      Welded it myself with my super duper Harbor freight Cheapo welder the wife bought me last christmas.., Hey it worked.

Added these pieces to hold the head light. (bolted them in ( im not such a good Welder:-)

End result is this

Comment

shes shaping up

Comment

As I have been gathering parts to do a similar build,
          I am VERY INTERESTED in this thread.

Daniel

Comment

Good idea the Bandit forks as they are long enough to keep the bike from dragging in the turns.
            What are you planning for the rear wheel?
            You realize that your new front tire is now almost as wide as the rear
            I believe the best plan is to go Bandit for the rear too including the swingarm...
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

You could go Bandit with the swinger or you could easily fit a 160 on a 4.5" matched rim into the 1100 swingarm.

Challenges with the bandit swinger are getting it central in the frame (needs some top hat spacers), mounting the rear MC & welding on some tabs for the shock but it then makes the rear brake easy.... (Posplayr thread on this conversion is very good).

If you stick with the 1100 you can mount that GS caliper low enough down to fit the 9" rotor that comes with the 4.5" rim. If I remember correctly you can even use the matched (to the rim) brake hanger but just above the axle rather than below.

Either way you'll have to mess with spacers & add an offset front sprocket.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Fired up

-Removed the push throtlle cable as it was binding.
                -threw on an old 83 1100 header.
                -put a stage 3 kit in the carbs

Well I could wait any longer, I fired her up! all the adjustmant needed was to simply turn the air screws in to make her idle right.

still thinking and planning the rear wheel. the 83 wheel will do for now

Comment

Did you get to take it for a ride? How does it handle with that tiny front rim/tire?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by drewandkellie View Post

Well I have been asked to start this post about the project I am working on. I am using an 81 1100E frame
                    80 1100E Body Work
                    83 1100E Rear wheel
                    79 GS1000 Motor, Wiring, Instrumentation.
                    2002 Bandit Front End (Complete)
                    Do you know if the 2002 Bandit front fork will take the Nissin calipers that come from a 1989 GSXR 1100?
                    Same thing for the front wheel and disks?
                    I was planning to substitute the current 43 mm GSX R fork legs for Bandit fork legs and leave the rest alone only to gain clearance.
                    sigpicJohn Kat
                    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Well here she is. Fresh back from two days of road tuning. 1st off the bandit front end end is terrific. Light steering, very good handling, and oh, those brakes Are more than enough reason to have made the switch to the 2002 front end. Still running an 83 rear tire for now. It's working well. The time consuming part has been dialing in the carbs with the stage 3 kit.
                      Ran poorly because the carbs were way out of syrochnization. Once I got that right it needed to be half a step richer on the needles. Now, look out! she flies. And the motor is stock. Love the new feel and was happy for the uncommonly good january weather here in jersey. Time for me to end this thread. If I change the rear wheel I'll stArt another. Ride safe, Drew.

Comment

rear hub

Drew,

Looks great. I'll get that hub in the mail tomorrow, just been jammed up here. Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                        X