Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Katana 1100 GSXR conversion

Hey all,

I know this has been before, but it's still difficult to find all the information in one place, so I am going to post pics of my GSXR suspension conversion on my Kat.

I bought this 1983 Katana 750 (1100 engine) a few months ago for $500. It came with a GS750 parts bike with a Katana 750 engine in it. So, when I can actually do an accurate compression test, I will be able to find out which engine to install (I'm not planning to complete an engine rebuild at this moment.

Here is a list of the parts I have purchased thus far:

CBR 954 triples (already have the steering stops and correct bearings)
    1997 GSXR 750 forks tuned by PPS suspension
    1997 GSXR 750 front wheel and axle
    1994 GSXR 750 rear wheel and axle (5.5 inch wheel)
    99-07 Hayabusa rotors and calipers (a direct fit to the 1997 forks and wheel)

What I still need:
    Clipons (TL1000S)
    Controls (I'm using NOS Busa parts)
    Electronic gauges
    Custom muffler system (I have a working header)
    Bandit swinger (modified for the dual shocks, of course)
    Some sort of aftermarket shocks (?)
    Chain and sprocket conversion (including offset engine sprocket)
    Paint, powdercoating, etc...
    Master cylinder (late model GSXR?)
    Steel braided brake lines
    Seat re-covered
    Oh, yeah, have engine bead blasted to look new again
    New tires (ouch)

That's all I can think of atm, but I'm sure there will be more.

I know there is a LOT of work to go, so I'm bracing myself for all the work and heartache to come.

This is a picture of what I am trying to mimic with my final bike...

Any ideas of how to get around certain problems are welcome and encouraged. Actual pics to come!

My goal:

The beast:

Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2012, 11:04 PM.

COOL project! I specialize in 16 valve engines & do a LOT of engine & cylinder head builds. Call me at 714--356-7845 if I can ever help. Even if just to answer questions. Good luck & keep in mind we all like to see PHOTOS!!! Ray.

Comment

You'll have all the help you need here. Lots of people have done the conversions so just about any issue you might come across will have been dealt with by someone.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. I will need all the help I can get. I may just leave the stock swingarm, but don't know what you all think about that... Is it too weak? I have an uncle who welds professionally and was thinking about possible bracing. It would be much less expensive than a Bandit swinger and mounts, etc.

Comment

Great, another project to follow.
          99% of your questions can probably be answered here but if not you can contact Katman. http://www.suzuki-katana.com/ . He lives up the street from you.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yeah, Rob and I have been chatting already. Very knowledgeable guy. He is prolly already sick of all my emails .

I will post pics in a minute or so...

Comment

More pics. Are they too big for everyone? I sized them down, but I dunno...

Comment

Aaaand, more pics...

Comment

And, even more pics...

Comment

Subscribed.....

Gonna follow this one, looks like it's gonna be a fun build

Comment

Just suggestions;
                      1. Don't cut the passenger peg hangers off. They are part of why a Katana looks the way it does. Find a way to get every thing to fit.
                      2. Stay away from a high muffler on the exhaust. Just doesn't look right with the rest of the lines of the bike.
                      These are just my opinions, nothing less, nothing more.
                      The Three Horsemen
                      '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                      '83 GS1100ES
                      ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                      Porkchop Express

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                        Just suggestions;
                        1. Don't cut the passenger peg hangers off. They are part of why a Katana looks the way it does. Find a way to get every thing to fit.
                        2. Stay away from a high muffler on the exhaust. Just doesn't look right with the rest of the lines of the bike.
                        YES!!! Finally the voice of reason! Only other thing I might add is please please please try not to stick the azz of that thing up in the air like every other stupid cookie-cutter sportbike out there. These are KATANA'S, the grandfather of modern sportbikes, not plasti-repli-racers so therefore deserve some measure of respect.

Looks like a cool build; subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                          Just suggestions;
                          I agree with you. I want to keep them, too. After all, my wife is going to start riding with me.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                            YES!!! Finally the voice of reason! Only other thing I might add is please please please try not to stick the azz of that thing up in the air like every other stupid cookie-cutter sportbike out there. These are KATANA'S, the grandfather of modern sportbikes, not plasti-repli-racers so therefore deserve some measure of respect.

Looks like a cool build; subscribed!
                            Good point. I don't want the back end too high for reasons of handling. I hear that it can really make the steering twitchy if you don't have enough angle at the steering head.

Thanks!

Comment

You are on your way. Have fun. El G.

Comment

Working...
                              X