My other GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My other GS750

Well It was soo nice outside today (for winter time) I pulled out the box of parts and started playing. Figured I would start this thread for this build because it is going to happen sooner or later. May not get updated as quickly right now but will during the summer. Plans as of now is to lean towards a cafe racer style, but first check with registries and make sure its register-able first or transfer everything to my other spare frame. But I do want to see if it will fire and show some sign of life as well.

The bike is a 76 750 which I got for $75, Appears to have been smucked in the front, top triple had bent tabs where the gauges mount and the gauges were pretty mangled. Also the forks are quite bent so will be on the lookout for another set of 35mm forks or when I upgrade the other bike this one will get the current setup from it. Bike did not come with a tank or any other body pieces but I have an extra tank and can make up something for the rest of it.

So today I swapped out the top triple for the other one I had laying around, bolted on the rear master cylinder just because it was laying there. Put the starter cover and the sprocket cover on. put the kick start lever on. put the carbs on and air box as well. Lots of hardened rubber that is going to need replacing. I know i'll need to tear the carbs down and properly clean them but they didn't look too bad from first glance of the insides.

Anyway heres the pic of the day. Wiring harness is next on the list. Really wish I knew how many miles on this engine. Its really clean on the outside compared to my other one. No weeping oil anywhere.

No kidding this weather is awesome. Even feeling sick as I do I couldn't help but go out to the garage.
    I have seen about 10 bikes riding around Edmonton. How often does that happen in January in Alberta?
    I'm all about spokes but I wonder what's with the MX tire on the back?

Bruce.

Comment

Hmmm... I see spokes plus knobby on the back and a kick starter... 750 scrambler anyone?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hey Erki

I'm looking for one cam cover for my 1978 GS750C. You won't have one to spare would you or know anyone that does? Thanks

ps - the years I lived in Edmonton, the Oilers (Gretz, Samanko, Lumly, Furr, Mes, Kurie, Lowe etc. were Kings (no pun intended in relation to Gretz) and it never got warm in winter. -40 was not unusual. Calgary always got the freak warm chinooks, not Edmonton. Whats goin on there.

Comment

times have changed man. must've been fun to live here when the oilers had those guys. And as for winter. this year has been crazy different. finally got our first real skiff of snow last night and temps dropped to -23ish. thats about the worst its been. a lot of + and -5ish weather until now. Guess winter was just late showing up. They are calling for a -37 low later this week. But up until yesterday afternoon occasionally one could see a bike out cruising the main roads.

as for the cam cover, I'll keep an eye out. I may have one but I dont think so, Also a couple other gsr guys here in the city. so who knows what might turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Hmmm... I see spokes plus knobby on the back and a kick starter... 750 scrambler anyone?

now you've done it. you've got me thinkin and looking at pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
              now you've done it. you've got me thinkin and looking at pictures.
              You know you want to

Have a look at my pipe, tyres, and 'bars... then have a look at Niklas' pipes on his 1000... then search for Bajazuki when Salty Monk took his for some adventuring...

You know you want to
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

it was a fantastic time to live in Edmonton, no one could touch the Oilers. Those guys were absolute miracles on ice. Ah ya those were the days...the Rexal Centre, whatever its called now, was and always will be the Edmonton Coliseum to me. Yep we played hockey year round in Edmonton. Sherwood park had an arena which kept its ice surface all year. It was great, playin hockey in the middle of summer.

OK, I need to stop lookin back, sorry guys and gals, I got caught up in my Alberta past ...sorry.

Thanks for the reply Erki

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                times have changed man. must've been fun to live here when the oilers had those guys. And as for winter. this year has been crazy different. finally got our first real skiff of snow last night and temps dropped to -23ish. thats about the worst its been. a lot of + and -5ish weather until now. Guess winter was just late showing up. They are calling for a -37 low later this week. But up until yesterday afternoon occasionally one could see a bike out cruising the main roads.

as for the cam cover, I'll keep an eye out. I may have one but I dont think so, Also a couple other gsr guys here in the city. so who knows what might turn up.

Comment

So I finally started on this basket case tonight. First I got sick of the front wheel not pointing straight ahead due to the bent fork. So with the help of my pipe bender I straightened it out pretty darn good. Not like I really want to use it this way but atleast my wheel points straight now. My plan is still to find a USD front to swap on my current rider and use that front for this one.

After that I pulled out all the stuff that came with the bike to see what was there. The wiring will definitely need some fine tuning and cleaning up or re wiring. But that is one of my favorite things to do.

Then supper was ready and was getting cool in the shade. Some wreckage shots.

You'd think I liked pinstriping.

Also these parts look different than the ones on my 81, Do any of these look like they actually belong to the bike or are they from something else?

Comment

They don't look like anything on my 78'... Might work...

Comment

The rectifier is a common up-grade.
                      Same for the coils would be my guess.

Eric

Comment

Last 2 pics are CB-F bits,actually CB-F bits I'm looking to getfor mine.Sending a PM.

Comment

ok, what are they? If I dont need them to run those coils or something. Then you can have em.

Comment

They run the coils on a CB Honda,where they on the bike or loose?I'm not sure if they would even work on a Suzuki.Anything is possible I guess.

Here is how they sit on the battery box of my 81 CB750F,black stuff going down is the resin off the back.Guessing there was a R/R problem and cooked the electrics.Got caught up in other things and forgot to PM you
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I was browsing through the regulator/rectifier list and appears this one isn't a compatible fit for these bikes. Im guessing the 8 wires would also be a clue? I could understand where the 3 yellow and the black and white wires may go but the other three, not sure. If it is truly possible and is an upgrade I'll put it on my 81 750.

From the list:

Honda MVX250/CB900 Shindengen SH236-12 12V Field winding type, not suitable for GS

Now onto browsing wiring diagrams for the cb coil system.

Comment

Working...
                              X