No announcement yet.

My 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've torn the engine back down to the base..again...This is getting embarrassing and a bit tiring to be honest. I put in new piston rings, pulled apart a few different heads and measured all the valves and put the thickest ones I had back in the original head. I measured the 'valve wobble' and the biggest measurement is about .008, one one of the exhaust valves, the rest of the exhaust valves are all about .005. All of the intake valves are a bit less actually. That was a recuurent theme on the 3 heads I measured the 'wobble' in, the intake valve wobble was always less, guess that makes sense. Put in another new set of valve seals, that makes 3 now This time the only force I used to put them on was my thumb. Well I buttoned everything up today and by 7:30pm was able to take her out. She rode nice as usual and I couldn't see any smoke, but again it's hard to tell when you're riding it. A very good sign was the colour of the plugs when I returned. All 4 were nice and tan, not a single drop of oil on the plugs which was happening before. So the real test will be a cold start up of course but things are looking good so far. So, she's back together once again.

I keep posting these pictures but I have to laugh because it doesn't look like I've done anything Keep your fingers crossed for me on the cold start in a couple of hours.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Comment

IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Sat for 2 hours, fired her up and NO SMOKE!! I am one happy camper...finally, I can just enjoy riding her. Man what a process, but at least I learned lots.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Arrrrrrr....started her up this morning and same old thing, clouds of blue smoke. I have no clue what is causing this now so I'm just going to change the oil and ride her. Maybe it'll improve after a while??
            Rob

Comment

Aaaaaarrrrrhhhhhh
              That just sucks, damn, yeah, yeah just ride her a bit, I would, see what develops.
              Are you sure you don't have a loose guide, maybe?

Comment

The high mileage 1100G I gave to my brother used to do that. Now it doesn't. It hasn't been touched below the valve shims.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well she's running great. These bike are such a pleasure to ride. Minimal blue smoke this morning on start up, changed the oil and took her out. Oh ya, I finally got around to taking off the 'Harley' looking chrome shock covers. Looks way better I think.

Great ride. Can't wait for the first big trips on her this year. This will be the co-pilots first time on this bike as well, she'll be in for a treat.
                  Rob

Comment

A good running 1000G is a pleasure, to be sure.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Oh yeah, sounds like you had a serious grin factor.
                      The 1000G is the most under rated GS, they are fantastic.

Comment

A colour change for the better........

When the time, money and inclination hits me I'll likely have a fender painted to match. I'm not sure if I want the fairing to be colour matched or leave it black to match the Samsonite. Opinions are always welcomed on the matter. I'm very happy with how she looks. Much better than the brown
                        Last edited by azr; 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM.
                        Rob

Comment

Holy crap Rob!

Looking sweet mate... NICE
                          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                          '82 GS1000SZ
                          '82 GS1100GL
                          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Working...
                          X