Noobie GS750 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noobie GS750 Build

This is my first real build on a bike, and even though I can find myself around a workshop without losing a finger. I really never tore a bike apart completely and put it back together again. So with finger's crossed on one hand and a beer in the other, I started to chop.

The bike is a running 1977 GS750 with a starter issue. Cosmetically it's really not to bad and was used as a daily driver from a guy I picked it up from for $500. He claims to had used it as a commuter, but it appeared to have sat some time in a garage with a tarp.

My idea was to turn it into a bobber, but with my limited time with a welder I am going towards a cafe racer. I am very handy with wood and can pretty much create many things with wood and I have a petty creative mind. I have a budget, with things here and there I have sold on Craigslist (Stuff laying in my basement). I was able to scrum up $400. So most things will have to be made by hand and or reused to make work. I will keep the cost down by fabricating the bike to look the way I want and save to powder coat and paint as the build cont.

*I will be working on getting pictures posted, I have been taking them as the build had progressed. So I will give you the rundown to were it sits now.

1. Made a list of things I would have to find or buy
    -Grips ($6)
    -Clip-on bars ($25-Used Bonneville)
    -Mirror's ($10-Used Bonneville)
    -Tires ($120-Bike Bandit) Dunlop
    -Tail Light ($25 Fleabay) Intergraded Turn Signals
    -Front Wheel Bearings ($15 Fleabay)
    -Headlight Bracket (Had an extra pair)
    -Air Pods (Don't give me ****, but I got argo's/Will get K&N when $ comes in) $25
    -Jet Kit ($45-Fleabay)

I pulled fenders, seat, carb box, handlebars and all the things that made this bike cheesy. The rear frame has been cut behind the rear shocks and took 1 week to make the cafe seat and 2 day's to figure out how to mount it.

Dropping the front end and getting the gauges, clip-on handle bars and wires ran without a kink was a project. Don't murder me here, I tried to reused the cluster gauges, after cutting and chopping. I pretty much was left with was the mount bracket, the speedo and tach. I am currently making my own LED dash.

Well, this is were I stand for now. Will try to finish the dash display tomorrow. I hope the LED conversion will not be an issue. Anyone has an input on this, don't be afraid to throw me a bone. Hope to have picture's up soon, if not email if you like to see an update. Thanks for making such a great forum! tucker0311@hotmail.com

Pictures,we need pictures!

Bruce.

Comment

Workn on the pic's

Comment

This is what I started with!

Comment

This is were she sit's now

Comment

Yes the seat pan is made out out wood, I have documented on how I got it to work, without cutting into the frame. Able to pull of the the seat with just a turn of a few bolts. Let me know if you would like me to post.

Comment

These are a few pic's of the pan:

Comment

Looks pretty good. How does that wood feel for long trips in the twisties or are you just keeping it in town right now?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good work sir but a word of caution on that seat.

Please make sure you have a good seat cushion in place and I'd recommend at least 2" of semi firm foam, nothing with too much give. These plank seats can be dangerous for your back and the sciatic nerves in your buttocks. Ask me how I know.

I built one for my XS650 Street tracker about five years ago and after about 3 x 1 hour rides managed to squash my sciatic nerve in my left buttock. The most excruciating pain that landed me in the ER and on a morphine drip for half a day (and many pain pills thereafter). I was in agony for a further 3 months and couldn't walk properly for another 3. A year later I had a relapse and lost another 6 months of riding. Almost 5 years later I have nerve damage in the left leg and can't feel my baby toes.

I don't want to put a harsh on your vision and enjoyment of your work but I wouldn't want to put my worst enemy through an injury like that.

Keep the pics coming .

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Pain in my ass!

Yep, thinking about 2' foam for the seat pad. I have built over 45 poker tables, all of had 2 inch or more rails on them, this is why I went this route. Was even thinking about doing a 1/2 closed cell foam pad with 2" foam on top. Then go with a tough or thick vinyl material thinking it may not give as much. Thanks for the info, may just with a inflatable doughnut for those long rides!

Comment

Pulled the left crankcase cover to find the starter problem. The starter button started the starter motor but it spun freely. My though was the cam sprocket worked itself loose. To my suprise, the (Not sure what it is called) balancer, sat between the large clutch gear and the stator hub, was cracked in half. Sorry no pictures! I can post pic's later to show you the part. I attached a link:

With a large gear puller and a $35 winning bid on fleabay. I pulled the gear off it's pressed cam. It's was about an 2 hour job. Only really took that long to make sure all parts were cleaned and fitted correctly. Thank god I found one on ebay, OEM go for $165+.

Comment

Update

Made a cluster guage/dash:

Finished Side panels and workn on the seat and carbs:

Going with pods and No baffles in exhaust, What do you recommend on the jets?

Comment

Bike looks great.

Comment

Got the set pretty much done and wired

Pretty much got the seat done and wired. The brake light has turn signals intergrated into the lighting system.

Comment

Working...
                            X