No announcement yet.

First build, GS500 commuter streetfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup this is another one in a season of wicked builds.Its going to look 'sick" when finished (do the kids still say that or is there a more up to date phrase?). I love those trackers too as my first frame off build was an XS650 Tracker. I never thought a 450 would work but I can see I was wrong......go for it.

How long 'til the big reveal?

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

We are still a few weeks out , I am sure. He still has to figure out for sure what he's going to do for a tail light, with the undertail exhaust , we have limited choices. I am trying to get him to cut it into the tailsection above the exhaust but not above the original height of the tail so that it does not change the profile. and if you are looking at it directly from the rear it would kind of look recessed like a Kat's head light, but side veiw would be un changed. Not sure if what I just tried to say makes since or not but it does to me. Also Tank and tail still need paint
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Like Hj says, it's going to be a while yet.
        I got a CBR600 taillight but I think it's going to be too angular to be cut in to the tail. It is designed to go right into the end of the tail.
        With the undertail exhaust.... I think the heat would get to it.
        Maybe something like a 2007 Ducati Monster tailight will work, arched on the top but perpendicular to your line of site from the rear.
        Got the wiring to do, painting the tank and tail, directionals (what type, etc).
        It is coming together though and you guys will be the first to know.
        Well maybe the second to know, but will keep you posted.

And thanks for the comments.

Comment

Not sure which year your light is from, but since 2003, CBR600's have had anundertail exhaust. I've never heard of anyone melting a taillight with exhaust gasses.

The light should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can make a heat shield out of some aluminum sheeting and put it between the can and lights.

The bike is looking awesome btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
            Not sure which year your light is from, but since 2003, CBR600's have had anundertail exhaust. I've never heard of anyone melting a taillight with exhaust gasses.

The light should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can make a heat shield out of some aluminum sheeting and put it between the can and lights.

The bike is looking awesome btw!
            The tailight I believe is from an 04-05 but that is not the problem, the problem is that the exhaust can is mounted higher up into the tail section than on the CBR and there is no room for the light, so we either have to move the light up into thetail section , or in a completly different location, up is pretty much where we have now just figure out which one, need some thing that is shaped like a frown on top, straight across the bottom, 1 1/2" high and about 4-5 inches wide, andsraight up and down not so tapered as the CBR light. Dana just posted about a Duc light will have to check it out
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ahhhh, its a clearance issue. That makes more sense now. A monster light looks like it could fit the bill. Or you could do something like this....

Not really the simplest solution, but it looks cool

Comment

TimTom that image is great ! That is one nice rear end.
                Never thought I'd say that about a bike but.........

Here's what we did last nite.
                Put the engine back in, pulled the clutch plates to clean and unstick.
                Replaced the rear wheel bearings, replaced some of the stock engine cover bolts with stainless allens, and did some general assembly and another quick tank and rear mock up.
                We've got the original factory taillight and the CBR lite so we'll work with them and see what happens.

Engine in, valve cover on

Comment

Now just some mockup pics, staring to look like a bike again.

Comment

SWEEEEEEET !!!!!!!

This is one cool looking project, the red accents, the dual light headlight, and the exhaust.....

can't wait to see her all buttoned up.....

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
                      TimTom that image is great ! That is one nice rear end. Never thought I'd say that about a bike but......
                      Yeah it's a really cool idea for a taillight. It's an Aprilia something or other...

I'm loving this build though, the candy red and flat black look awesome together. I like how you called out all the bolts with the red, brings the whole thing together nicely.

Whats your plan for the body work? I think it would look great in the candy red with a gloss black stripe or something. Or looking at the new mock ups maybe silver with a red stripe. I feel that if it was too much black it would lose its visual power and just blend into the bike too much.

Comment

Guys that's just awesome! Those red accents are perfect!

Have you considered doing the case cover bolts in red instead of the stainless ones? They almost look out of place with the other red accents... but of course that's just my little opinion...

Love it with the bodywork and dual lights too, can't wait to see it painted up and complete!
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yea, the stainless bolts look a little out of place.
                          I had bought the stainless bolts before any real plan of action was formulated.
                          I like to put the stainless bolts on all the bikes, easier to work with, but now am thinking of perhaps red anodized aluminum bolts from ProBolt.
                          That's something that could be done down the road, along with brake and clutch cable adjusters, etc.
                          Black tail and tank with red stripes, Hmmmmmmmmmm.
                          Hadn't thought of that

Comment

I like to put the stainless bolts on all the bikes, easier to work with, but now am thinking of perhaps red anodized aluminum bolts from ProBolt.
                            That's something that could be done down the road, along with brake and clutch cable adjusters, etc.
                            Hadn't thought of that
                            Yeah typically I'd also say stainless all the way, and in fact I did the same on my 450's case covers. I think this is just one of those rare cases where something different is required... anodized ones should do the trick nicely I reckon, and yes, can definitely be done later on.

Listen to Tim, he has great ideas with colour schemes/flows/etc. and he's also pretty handy with the photo-chop thing
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Listen to Tim, he has great ideas with colour schemes/flows/etc. and he's also pretty handy with the photo-chop thing

Aww shucks, thanks Pete . Although out of curiosity I did do a red mock up the other day...

If you want I'd be happy to do some other options. Though I think that in order for the black to look good it would have to be extra glossy. This build is to nice for flat bodywork

Comment

Hadn't thought of that
                                I have another suggestion for the case bolts, blacken them out instead ?

not sure if this works with SS bolts, but we used to heat up bolts, and then throw them into some old and really black oil, this would blacken out the bolts, and no worries about them getting chipped as it's not the same as paint....

just a thought

Comment

Working...
                                X