X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful bike!

Eric

Comment

Thank you, I am amazed at how well this old bike rides now with new tires and all the new stuff, it's like a new bike compared to how it was

Comment

Love your bike!!

I just love what you have done with your machine.....I have a '79 GS850G and I contemplated painting it black. My original color is close to yours, but badly faded out. There is NO WAY that my bike will ever be black! I will source out the original colours and striping to put her back to as it was in 79.You've made a beautiful job

Comment

beautyfull work man! Love the paintjob!

Comment

Thank you Sorry for the late reply, you can get the original striping from reproductiondecals.com

Comment

Nice pictures by the water! Looks great.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sooo, haven't done much with the GS since I put it in storage in fall... But I have gotten around to unscrewing the carbs and measure the diameter of the intake boot o-rings, which by the way where rock solid, and there was evidence of some sort of sealant that's been used...

So now I think I'll contact cycleorings and get the orings for the carbs and intake boots so I can get the carbs up to shape

Comment

Today's news: In trying to get the bike properly tuned up and resolve the hard to start when cold issue, attention has now turned to my valves
                  I have also received my o-rings for the carbs and I'm only missing the fuel bowl gasket before I start to tear them down... But back to valves!

I tried to check the clearances but the only feeler gauge I had didn't go any lower than .05mm and increased in .05 steps... On some valves I didn't get the .05 in and on other valves I could get the .10 and on one even the .15 blade. I also don't have the valve tool so I don't know what size shims are in there, therefore I'm now ordering a new feeler gauge set and a valve shim tool so I can figure out what I have and what to order...

Another question, how much work is involved in replacing the head gasket when the bike is this much dismantled ?

Comment

Valve shim tool, feeler gauge set(0.02-1.0mm), fuel bowl gaskets, valve cover gasket and a new head gasket ordered. eBay <3
                    Now I'm just wondering if I should go for some 10:1 comp pistons too while I'm at it

Comment

Where the hell do you get a feeler gauge set that small? I need one

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                        Where the hell do you get a feeler gauge set that small? I need one
                        Hongkong obviously

search ebay for "thickness gauge metric" or something like that and this should pop up http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-0-02-To-...item5d3922d79e

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                          Hongkong obviously

search ebay for "thickness gauge metric" or something like that and this should pop up http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-0-02-To-...item5d3922d79e
                          Thanks for the heads up but the ship time is waaaaayyyyyy long. March 15? Wow! I'll probably order a set though...

Comment

You could have the head and base gaskets replaced in a day maybe two if you're slow like me as long as everything goes ok. If you're taking the top end apart you mights as well put in new valve oil seals though, they're cheap as heck but it will take you a few hours to do and you will have to make a cheap tool out of a C-clamp and some pvc piping, easy to do though. Just so you know if you're replacing the head gasket you had better do the base gasket as well, you're guaranteed to disturb it and it would be a shame to do all that work only to have to do it over. And remember OEM for both gaskets and all the o-rings in the top end as well.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                              Thanks for the heads up but the ship time is waaaaayyyyyy long. March 15? Wow! I'll probably order a set though...
                              Where do you get that from? Can't find that anywhere, anyway there are several other sellers selling these

Base gasket? Are you talking about the gasket between the crank case and the cylinder block?
                              Because I have been thinking of repainting the block and head since they're badly chipped...
                              It's a liquid gasket right?

Comment

yes the base gasket is the one between the crankcase and cylinder block. It's definitely not liquid, not exactly sure what it's made of but it's a paper 'like' material, someone will chime in one what it's made of. You can see it on any parts fiche.
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X