81 gs 1100e cafe fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs 1100e cafe fighter

OK, so here is my 81 GS1100e build. It is what i call a Cafe fighter. I have posted it on the CSF forum and i thought i would put it here as well. I have enjoyed working on this project and it is the first time i have tried to biuld an older model streetbike. I plan on upgradeing the rear to a GSXR 1100 rim, 5.5in wide with a 180 tire. The front is a 95 GSXR 750 USD front end. I have learned a lot from this site and i thought i would share some pics of my current biuld and will post more as i progress

I like it... it sure looks loud.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Only thing i can say is WOW!!!!

Comment

I like it too.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

still love it man.

Comment

Cafe Fighter title. Check.
            USD Front end. Check.
            RocCity tail. Check.
            Rearsets. Check.

You stole my build!

But I love it. What profile tires are you running? How does she handle?
            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

That thing is sweet!

Comment

Battery in the "trunk"?

Eric

Comment

Love it! That is sweet.
                  1983 GS1100E

Comment

Yeah, I have a few of the same questions as the other guys. I have a similar build. How much did you raise the rear? How has your handling changed? After riding the bike what would you say you'd do a little tweaking on if you were to do it again? Any help would be awesome! Also where did you get your rear shocks?

Comment

The electrical is is all under the seat tray. The seat is a RocCity peace. Good peace for 130 bucks. I dont' have enough fabbing skills to make one myself. There is no welding involved with this build. Everything has been bolted and cut off from the original frame. I have included some pics of the wiring. I changed a few things, like i moved the rectifier under the seat to get more air, which is different from the picture, where it is mounted on the back of the battery tray.

There is also some other progress photos of the build, before i put the USD front end on and rear sets. There is a pic of what it looked like when i bought it as well. I mostly put the rear sets on so that i could remove the rear master cylinder so i could get the complete empty look in the inside of frame of the bike.

As far as what i would change, not to much other than a better plan for the rear sets. The new front end has made the riding position pretty good. If i could weld i would mount the rear sets a little higher and forward, but other than that not much. It handles great, for a dang 81 street bike. It isn't ever goign to be as nimble as something new but hey, I think it looks sweet and different than anything else i see on the road.

Lastly the shocks are Harley Davisdson shocks, if you can believe that. I know, I know, i would have never run them but they were free so i used them. Just had to modify the attached brackets at the bottom which i had to get welded from a local shop for 40 bucks.

Comment

81 gs 1100e cafe fighter

By the way, thanks for all the great comments. I appreciate that.

The metal tray that the seat is mounted to is a peace of sheat metal i bought from lowes. I traced the outline of the seat on it and cut it out. I had to bend the front of it so i could mount it using the same bolt for the tank. The bike just happened to have two little tabs off of the rails which i shortened a bit and drilled a hole in so i could bolt the back of the plate down. I used the meddle square stock as the brace for the seat bolts so the weight of my fat butt would be on the rails and not the fiberglass seat.

The ride hieght in the rear was raisd i think an 1.5in or 2in. It is just about the most you could raise the rear though becuse the chain is just about to start gaugeing the swing arm, so watch out for that. It would be no issue if the swing arm had a plastic chain guide, like most bikes today.

Anyway, i hope that answered some of the questions and i appreciate the good words. It took me a while of searching the internet to get the ideas for what i wanted to do, so i am always willing to help.

Comment

I love that exhaust and front end. Great job!

Comment

What did you use for the USD's/triples. I have a set of Tls triples, but still have to look up the specs. I'm still in the planning stages while I get the bike to a healthy state first.

Comment

The front end is from a 95 GSXR 750. All front ends of the GSXR family (750/1100) will bolt right up until the year 95 for 750s and 98 for 1100s. No issues at all. Just removed the old front and put the new ones on. Replaced the bearings because the originals were toast. used the races that were in the neck already.

Dont' know if other front ends will work. I used the GSXR ones becuase i knew they would bolt right up.

Comment

Working...
                              X