No announcement yet.

1978 Suzuki GS750 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at some ProGrips this morning on eBay.

Today, I found a 1/2" or 5/8" stainless steel rod about 4' long, in my shed.
    I placed it in the vice and fired up the torch. Now I have my grab bar.

And after a little cleaning. Still a lot of work to do.

So after I get it all cleaned and smoothed, I'll get some brackets welded on and then polish it up.

Comment

I received my carbs in the mail today. Thanks Josh. They look great.
      Might actually be riding this thing before too much longer. With a little luck.
      There's still so much to do. But hey, that's why I bought it and not a new bike.
      I'll get a lot more satisfaction out of something I had to put sweat and blood into, rather than just money.
      Although, by the time I'm through, I'll have almost half the money in it as a new one.
      And I really do enjoy working on it. Honest.

Comment

Haha.. glad to hear its moving along! Youll be up and running in no time!

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
          I received my carbs in the mail today. Thanks Josh. They look great.
          Might actually be riding this thing before too much longer. With a little luck.
          There's still so much to do. But hey, that's why I bought it and not a new bike.
          I'll get a lot more satisfaction out of something I had to put sweat and blood into, rather than just money.
          Although, by the time I'm through, I'll have almost half the money in it as a new one.
          And I really do enjoy working on it. Honest.
          Damn that was quick! Glad you like em. Wish I'd had some better screws to use for the caps and bowls, but alas no one around here stocks those little metric buggers. I should order a batch from McMaster-Carr.

Should be "nearly" plug and play, obviously you'll have to dynamic sync them at some point, and you may have to play wih the air screw. But like I said, if ya need any direction, give me a buzz

Comment

Yeah, I was a little surprises that they came today. I was figuring on tomorrow.

No problem on the fasteners, I can put those in anytime.
            But for future reference, doesn't Robert Barr carry the stainless fasteners at cycle o-rings?
            I know he sells them, but not sure if he has them for the VM carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
              Yeah, I was a little surprises that they came today. I was figuring on tomorrow.

No problem on the fasteners, I can put those in anytime.
              But for future reference, doesn't Robert Barr carry the stainless fasteners at cycle o-rings?
              I know he sells them, but not sure if he has them for the VM carbs.
              I was under the impression all he carried were the intake boot bolts. I'll have to look but last I knew he didn't have any bolts for VMs.

Comment

By the way ignore the angry face. I'm on my iPhone and sometimes my giant fingers hit random things without me noticing...hahaha

Comment

My turn signals arrived from China today. $7.54 for four lights, and they are actually very nice quality.
                  The first set was lost in the mail, but the seller was gracious enough to send another set, no charge.

They are smaller than they looked on eBay.

I told the guy I would share the link, so if anyone's interested.

Comment

I think I've envisioned the final destination of this project.
                    I want the dual disc brake system of an "E", and the headlight and rear fender of a "L".
                    Everything else will be stock, except my modified tank, custom battery box and superbike bars.
                    Maybe a few other minor modifications. Like the HD tail light and Chinese turn signals.
                    Everything I do will be bolt on and completely reversible.

As for what I've been doing to my bike recently, absolutely nothing.
                    Oh, well almost nothing. I did play around with the wiring. Just enough to know it's a mess.
                    I plan to finish my tank mod this coming week. Then buy all my paint the following week.
                    Once I get a tank on it, I'll be ready to fire it up and hopefully get it road tested.

Comment

You will have to modify the back end of the seat also or it will certainly look goofy with that large opening between the seat and rear fender.

Eric

Comment

I already have the rear fender on it. I'm making a custom grab bar that will cover the gap.
                        I have the grab bar bent, just need to weld on some brackets and the piece that covers the seat gap.
                        I'm thinking of cutting a Suzuki "S" into it and putting a red light behind it and wire it into the tail/brake light.

Comment

I don't know how many previous owners this bike has, but one of them is not the guy you want working on your bike.
                          The light green wire that runs from the turn signal switch to each turn signal was cut in three places.
                          Then a blue wire was poorly run to replace it from the switch to the rear turn signal, but not the front.
                          I spliced the light green wire back together and removed the blue wire and it worked fine.

And the front brake switch, oh hell, he unsoldered the wires from the switch. No wonder it wouldn't work.
                          Well all that is fixed now and the dozen other wiring blunders that were waiting for me.
                          I'm still getting nothing from the start button. I'll check the voltage of the circuit from the button to the solenoid in the morning.
                          Then I'll know if it's in the switch or if the solenoid is bad or at some point in between.
                          I turned the motor when I first got the bike. So it's a little puzzling that it would be the switch or the solenoid.

Comment

I tested the voltage to the solenoid from the start button, and it was good.
                            So I guess it's the solenoid. That's an easy and inexpensive issue to fix.
                            May as well replace the turn signal relay, while I'm at it.

I have all my wiring straightened out and in pretty good shape.
                            I have a couple of wires twisted together for testing that need connections crimped on.
                            Any way, I have it to the point I could install my airbox, but my boots aren't as good as I thought.
                            They're fairly soft and I thought they were fine. But after trying to install the airbox, I now think otherwise.

Nothing to do but order some when I get my bike budget back in the green.
                            Maybe I'll have the tank together by then.
                            Oh, and I may or may not use the HD petcock, as I've found a lever-less, vacuum type dirt cheap.
                            I'm thinking of getting three or four, just to have a couple for other experiments.

And I ordered some SS bracket material that should be here any day.
                            I'll be able to start work on my grab bar again.

Comment

The VA has been good to my bike.

My Dad has a nebulizer from the VA, and they send cases of tubing, masks and such.
                              They also send him a ton of foley supplies, which includes the perfect size clear tubing for my fuel line.
                              These first two images show the clear fuel from the foley kits, and the clear vacuum and vent lines from the nebulizer kits.

This little reservoir is where you put in the Albuterol for the nebulizer, here it will serve as a battery overflow reservoir.

I removed my upper tree and stripped the paint off and lightly polished it.
                              I did a bunch of cleaning while it was off and removed the haed light ears, I have chrome ones going back on.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I don't know what these lines are used originally for, but are they fuel and chemical resistant ? I wouldn't like to see them fall/melt while your riding and onto a hot motor, could be in for some serious problems...

Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X