'79 GS550e Cafe-ish build pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550e Cafe-ish build pics

So I've never been one to post threads and update it as I go, usually because a.) I forget, and b.) I change my mind so many times during whatever I'm doing it gets confusing This bike is a prime example, bought it for $200 from a friend with the intent to fix it up and use it as a commuter, had the WJ5 fairing on it so figured "why not". Well, this forum is to blame for that not happening, all the Cafe builds on here got me leaning to that side of the world, and the more I thought about commuting on a little bike like this the less I liked it and such. It is the smallest CC bike I've ever owned, that's for sure. Haven't even ridden it yet! Tomorrow is the first day for that though, can't wait

When I bought it, I thought I was going to just clean the carbs, toss some tires on it, and some brake pads.... wrong. It was neglected more than I thought. It now has new tires, tubes, chain, front wheel bearings, rebuilt front/rear calipers, rebuild rear master, new headlight (with 35w HID kit), bullet turn signals front/rear, cheapo new shocks (if I like the bike progressives will be on ASAP), handlebars, grips, mirrors, K&N pods, new left side cover, stock un-cut seat pan with a hump I made and had covered by a friend.

Still have more to do, the front fork tubes are pitted and soft as heck, the oil probably leaked out eons ago. So I'm trying to figure out what to do there, thinking a complete front end off a bike that had dual rotors, though I'd like to buy just the forks and not trees, haven't gotten that far yet. Then rebuild whatever I find with progressive springs and good oil/seals and such. Steering bearings too. Like I said, these shocks are terrible, and if I keep the bike I'll upgrade them sooner than later. The carbs are a mess, the PO before my friend had the carbs apart and hammered a float pin in, it's mashed up and for the life of me it didn't want to leave. So I couldn't get the carbs apart, sprayed them out best I could and re-jetted, lifted the needles a notch, we'll see what she runs like tomorrow, probably like crap. I have an o-ring kit here and bought a pile of jets from Z1, so I have plans to buy a complete rack and go through them, dunk each body and such and do it the right way. Then I also bought a honda r/r off ebay, waiting on that. Much to do still!

Anywho, how about some pictures.

The day I brought it home:

Then it all changed...

Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2012, 11:30 PM.

As you can see I was fooling with some comstar wheels, but I never figured out what to do for rotors front and rear, maybe someday... I really like them though, and these have been sitting in an attic for about 25 years, so almost new!

Comment

had to cut the side covers...

Then I thought "Ah, what the heck, cafe racer, needs numbers. I'll get some mailbox numbers and put my drag race number on". Heck, I'll run it on the 1/4 once to see what the baby engine can do, my guess is high 14's or low 15's, we'll see. 33 y/o 2-valve, can't be that peppy, lol

And done for now! Tomorrow I get it licensed in Oregon and such, and go for my first test ride. Though I doubt I'll be happy with it, a) little engine and b) these carbs have issues.

Comment

Oh and one last thing, as you can see I was toying with a reproduction '59 caddy tail light, didn't fit the bike, ended up with the round one, think it looks good. Anywho, I'm done, had fun messing with this thing, that's for sure.

Comment

Wind it out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Wind it out.
            Yeah, so I've read. I'm coming from an 1800 v-twin cruiser, I really don't know what to expect

Comment

Well, got the licensing all sorted and such, went for a short ride. Overall I think I like the bike, seems peppy for a 550, handles good. Everything seems just right for all 6'3" of me, was afraid I'd feel cramped on it but with the superbike bars and the seat I put together, it's actually surprisingly comfortable. I think it's been 6, almost 7 years since I've ridden something this small, and that was a CB400four. I think this summer I'll find myself making it a 650 and having Megacycle make a set of cams for me.

So overall I'm happy, fun bike for sure! Carbs need sorted though, it runs out of breath before redline. So next thing up is buying a rack of them off ebay and completely going through them. Also want a 4 into 1 pipe so I can run a wideband, I'm a fuel injection guy so this is going to be an adventure, lol.

Comment

Before you buy have you looked at rejetting carbs? You are now running pods and they allow a heck of a lot more air and at and near redline you may not be getting enough fuel in your mixture to keep her going. Most people who switch to Pods have to rejet. Do a search in the Carb section and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Other than that I really like what you did. That seat took me by suprise when I saw it in white covering I did not like the shape but with it all leathered out it don't look too bad at all.

Only other thing I see would be to paint the tank a low gloss or satin black, of course that is my opinion.

Looks sharp good work.

Paul

Comment

Yeah, I've been in the carbs screwing around some. Needles are up a notch, did have #90 mains but yesterday upped to 97.5, runs better, more responsive. There is much to do, the stock 33 y/o pipes are rotted out inside pretty bad, can't stand the emgo shocks (surprise? Haha), front forks are definitely low on oil, but pitted tubes mean I have some shopping to do. Valves need adjusted, lots of little stuff. Clutch is also very strange, its grabby, and yesterday wouldn't disengage fully, was fine after a while though. The bike sat for 6 years in a garage under a cover so I suspect that it might have to do with sitting to some extent. Springs are probably worn too.

The seat was just something cheap to get me going, I'd like to find a pan and do a nicer one, this one including the cover had me about $100 in, not bad I guess. And yeah, needs paint, everywhere, haha. Next winter I see myself stripping it to the bare frame and doing it up nice, starting to like the bike more each day. Needs a lot more power though, a cammed punched out 650 build will most likely happen this summer for sure.

Comment

Rode it an hour today, basically around some just to see how it was behaving. Needs more money, valve cover leaks pretty bad, and I can't stand not having a fairing, other than that, I like it

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                      Rode it an hour today, basically around some just to see how it was behaving. Needs more money, valve cover leaks pretty bad, and I can't stand not having a fairing, other than that, I like it

Nicely done! Looks fantastic.

Comment

Thanks!

You know though, the more I look at the back of my seat, the more I don't like it... meh, it's functional, maybe I'll come up with something else later on.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          Thanks!

You know though, the more I look at the back of my seat, the more I don't like it... meh, it's functional, maybe I'll come up with something else later on.
                          I think it's pretty cool. You could put hoop on it (see my '81 GS550 cafe build thread for a homemade version - I'll have powdercoat pics up soon).

Comment

Working...
                          X