1981 Suzuki Gs 650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki Gs 650L

this is my second time back here. i recently had a 1979 gs425, sold that and wound up with this bike. unfortunatly i wound up with a bad deal.

i found a 1981 gs650 with 9700 miles on it great condition except the carbs needed cleaned (still ran just hesitated at 3k rpms), and the mufflers were rusted out. so i bought it and rode it to work the next day. upon arriving at work i found the left muffler was blowing oil out of it. upon further investigation i found the oil level was about 1/2-3/4 of a quart overfilled. so after draining it out it still puts white smoke out the left muffler.

so i guess i found what i will be doing over the next days, months,years(hopfully not years).

the plan is to tear down and rebuild the carbs and tear down the engine and replace the rings and valve stem seals. and of course replace all gaskets encountered along the way.

wish me luck as ill definitly be stretching some of my mechanical boundaries. lol

Well, good luck to you. What kind of shape is everything else? Pictures???
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Left muffler, white smoke? Might be a leaking fuel valve diaphragm. The vacuum line runs into #2 carb, will smoke like h*ll if diaphragm is leaking. Check this first, easy fix. Best.

Comment

I'll look into that....thanx. but it still spits a little oil out the muffler at idle.......
        Pics to come soon

Comment

Don't rip into so quick! get oil level right, plug petcock vac nipple on #2 carb, run on "pri" spot on petcock. Run it and see if it cleans itself up a bit- might take a while.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea I think that's what I'm going to do.....I'm gonna rebuild the carbs as well because they are dirty I do know that ...but then I'll run it a bit and see what happens.....

Here's a pic.....more to come

Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Remember, you needed to change the oil, not just drop the level. If gas has contaminated the oil, it will smoke for a long time- along with wearing out that plain bearing crank . There's a seperate drain for secondary drive cavity- look just behind gearshift lever.
              Also, if you disconnect/plug vac hose and use "pri" , make sure you switch to "on' or "res" when bike is off.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Wow! She's in good shape! Nice find!
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Well finally got to work on the bike some the other day. Took the tank off ,took the seat off and removed the carbs.

Took the carbs apart a little bit, looks pretty clean but am still planning on full tear down and dipping......

Ordered and got Carb orings, float bowl gaskets, next order will be Carb boots.....but need to get money first:-)

Also found and bought a complete exhaust system in great shape from a member here for 70 bucks. Am very excited for it to arrive..........
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Something is wrong with the pics as I can't see them even going to Imageshack's site.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

no problem on my end with the pictures...

Comment

Yea. I was working with them. I was having issues with hosting sites and finally got it figured out....I recently got a tablet and I'm still trying to get things right on here.....sorry guys

Comment

May I make a simple suggestion that will make life a LOT easier in the future?

Replace all those screws with Allen head or hex head ones. A lot easier to work on them in the future.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The ones on the Carb boots? I ordered the Allen head bolt kit from cycle orings.com along with the oring kit.....thanx for the heads up though.....I'm still fighting with the screws that are in the boots now

Comment

^^^^^ Agreed.....

this might help

Caps M5X16 16pcs
                              M5 flat washer 16pcs

Bowl M5X16 16pcs
                              M5 lock washer 16pcs

Upper Rail M5X12 8pcs
                              Lower Rail M6X12 8pcs

Confirm sizes please, to make sure they are the same for your bike/carbs

Comment

Working...
                              X