Rip Van Winkle '82 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip Van Winkle '82 GS750E

I started talking about this bike in the GS Owners section, so here's the project. It looks a lot better than it is, but at least the cosmetics are near perfect. This bike has 1840 original miles on it and has been asleep in the original owner's laundry room since around 1987. It has evidence of a drop on the right side at zero speed - slight vertical rash on the muffler, bent brake lever, grip rubber damaged.

The tank appeared to be so badly rusted, that I didn't think it was salvageable - 100% dark brown/red inside, crusty, and no metal showing. But after flushing it with a hose (and really fouling my driveway with flakes, chunks, etc.), I poured in a 50/50 mix of POR Marine Clean and hot water. What drained out was a brown, smelly mess. But I can actually see a lot of bright, clean metal showing now.

Hey Bikegeezer, I will be watching with great interest. I have an 82 gs750 project that maybe you will inspire mr to getting around to fixing it. Although as of late it has become somewhat of a "parts" bike to my 80 750.
    No signature

Comment

Hi Trevor,
      If you're stripping it to repair another bike, my hunch is it'll be a long time, if ever, before it sees the road. I need to get this one running before my wife puts me on the Hoarders TV show and plans an intervention! Too many projects...

Stu

Comment

That's a nice looking bike, it will be well worth the effort.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bump

Okay, I've been working on it hit & miss for almost a month now. New fork seals, Progressive springs, new spark plugs, fresh oil & filter, new exact original tires (IRC GS11s), overhauled front & rear brake systems and anti-dive units, cleaned out and epoxy coated the fuel tank, cleaned original chain & sprocket - lubed & adjusted, polished the snot out of everything I could get my hands on. I'm still not done with the carbs - waiting on a couple of minor parts. But then it's ready to fire and tune. I can't wait. This will be the closest you can get to a showroom fresh '82 GS750E, with only 1800 original miles.

Stu

Comment

Nice work and beautiful bike.

A couple of comments...

You might want to replace those old brake lines if you haven't already done so. The lines accumulate scale on the inside which contaminates the fluid in the rest of your otherwise clean system. Another thing is to torque the cylinder head.
            Last edited by Nessism; 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Nice work and beautiful bike.

Another thing is to torque the cylinder head.
              Did that while I had the valve cover off for valve adjustment. Now that you've mentioned it, I looked at the maintenance schedule in the shop manual - cylinder head nut torque @ 600 miles and every 4,000 miles afterward. Seriously? I'm thinking BSA, Triumph, and Norton. But mid '80s Suzuki fours? Oh well...

Stu

Comment

The engine came to life this morning for the first time since around 1984. Dialed in the synch, mixture, idle rpm, and checked tailpipe emissions. Very quiet bike - the way I like 'em. Now I have to take it through Arizona state emissions testing before they'll give me a plate for it, but I know it'll pass big time. Looks like I'll make the local bike show with it this Saturday night.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                X