GS 550E 1980 -cafe build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevanJones View Post
    Do you have any issues without that rear fender? Is that tail long enough to do the job?
    Some water comes over and onto the seat if the roads are soaked. Everything is sealed from water for the most part so it's not an issue underneath and it doesn't seem to bother the pods too much.

Comment

It has been a busy summer with lots of riding and a few issues. I did a three day Adirondack trip with ~700 miles on it in early June. A few weeks ago I finally got the seat upholstered.

Here is how it looks with the cowl removed for two up riding. I had to ride it like this for a week while I had the cowl being upholstered.

The cowl completed and installed:

The stitching is superb and It is very comfortable. I got to do quite a bit of two up riding with it as well.

Last week I broke down with no electrical power. I've chased the problem to the r/r (I had been meaning to upgrade it).

While the r/r replacement is in the mail I decided to tackle the final upgrades to the bike. I started collecting parts for this upgrade in the winter and have had it all figured out to where I could do it quickly when the time arises. The inspiration for this swap comes from member chuck78's thread "shaving pounds to add performance" Where the focus is mainly on the rear of the bike.

I received an '82 1100 swingarm from member landspeedrich.
      rear axle from a '94 Suzuki RF900 (same size as 1100 except hollow)
      rear rotor from a '92 Katana GSX1100 right front
      rear caliper from an '06 Hayabusa GSXR1300 (undermount)

Comment

Several modifications had to be made to existing parts to get them to all work together. The most important was the relocation of the brake stay mount on the swingarm. With the undermount caliper it would have to be moved to the bottom of the swingarm.

I Cut the bracket off to reveal an unwelded portion of the swingarm.

Had my welder weld the bracket on the bottom.

Also had my welder fill and grind where the bracket was on top:

I decided to drill the frame to fit the 1100 pivot bolt. The most important thing is a good bit. I found a fluted tapered one that worked perfect, for about $60 http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_198.pdf. It is well worth the money. The cutter is tapered and then becomes straight wide enough to cut the frame. I was worried that the 5/8 would be slightly small but I didn't even have to ream to 16mm.

I used a piece of 1/2" copper tubing to center the bit. It fits perfectly over the smaller pivot bolt and fits tight inside the 5/8 cut hole for dilling the second side. If I were to do this again I would also chuck the old pivot bolt in the lathe and grind a center divot into it.

Use plenty of cutting fluid and go slow.

Done with even less play than from factory:

I will be using my wheels from the 550 so a new set of bearings and spacers were ordered and installed to fit the wider and larger axle and swingarm.

making sure they fit (note left and right spacers should be switched)

Rotor on and bearings installed:

Comment

When I was considering this swap early on I was worried that the shocks I had purchased last fall would be useless as they are eye-eye and the 1100 swinger requires eye-clevis. I called YSS and they were very helpful and hooked me up with the parts I needed.

I used the zip-tie method to compress the springs.

I found that it works best if you loop through 4 coils and pull tight one by one with pliers.

Done:

Fitted:

Next up on the list was the caliper mount. I had my welder fill the holes so that I could drill them smaller and closer together.

Mounted:

Made it lighter too.

I then handed that part off to my machinist to ream it to fit the axle as well as cut down the 1100 pivot bolt.

Also put on my dyna S while I was at it.

I made a brake stay from 1" aluminum and mocked the rear end up:

It is nice to see something so different come together. I have noticed that my skills have progressed so far from when I started this build a 17 months ago.

Comment

Sweet Build!

Quick question. how do you like those Mac 4 into 1 exhaust? Currently I'm shopping for an exhaust for my '77 GS550. Also, by chance, do you know the part number of those K&N pod filters you use?

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

I actually have the same swinger on my bike and have had the joys of doing almost the same things to my bike as well (grinding the brackets off gs1100 swingarm etc). I also am purchasing YSS shocks and am having mine built a little longer than yours (380mm). My biggest concern is that my chain will rub my shock with a centered clevis mount like yours. How is your clearance? Are you running a stock chain? I'm running a 520 non o-ring chain so it's quite narrow but it is offest 1/4" so that takes up most of the difference and puts it once again closer to where the shock will mount.. I should be good but you know what they say, measure twice and cut once.

Comment

Originally posted by jameson079 View Post
                Sweet Build!

Quick question. how do you like those Mac 4 into 1 exhaust? Currently I'm shopping for an exhaust for my '77 GS550. Also, by chance, do you know the part number of those K&N pod filters you use?

Many thanks in advance.
                The Mac 4-1 is ok. It's the only new pipe I found and even though they don't offer header only on their website you can call and get it. The chrome plating is a bit thin. If I could do it again knowing how much I would put into this bike I would have had a ss pipe made up or found an old steel one and had it ceramic coated.

As for the filters I bought the K&N RC-2550. It is still a really tight fit and I had to cut material off the piece of angle steel that holds the carbs together.

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
                  I actually have the same swinger on my bike and have had the joys of doing almost the same things to my bike as well (grinding the brackets off gs1100 swingarm etc). I also am purchasing YSS shocks and am having mine built a little longer than yours (380mm). My biggest concern is that my chain will rub my shock with a centered clevis mount like yours. How is your clearance? Are you running a stock chain? I'm running a 520 non o-ring chain so it's quite narrow but it is offest 1/4" so that takes up most of the difference and puts it once again closer to where the shock will mount.. I should be good but you know what they say, measure twice and cut once.
                  Mine were 360mm but the new adapter makes them ~350mm. 380 seems a bit excessive unless you are relocating the upper mounts. The 360's were a touch longer than ideal on the old swinger (too much chain slop) I would be most worried with the chain rubbing on the swingarm at the pivot, although that can be easily protected. It could be fine though... I still have to see how mine sits once I get it off the stands. I can take a measurement for you when I get everything lined up properly to see how much room is between the chain and the YSS shocks. I think you are going to have clearance but it will be tight.

Comment

Finished the swinger swap last week and am finally getting around to posting pictures.

Polished it up to 800 grit to match forks:

Installed:

Its got all the right holes in all the right places:

I really want to weigh the bike now. This pretty much completes everything I want to do to the bike. I have a few adjustments to make here and there but am very happy with the transformation.

Comment

Man that turned out Nice!

Comment

gs1100 swingarm what tou did it come off of//i have a 1979 gs 1000. like to do the same to it

Comment

In the fall I had a great photographer shoot my bike. It was a great experience working with him and we are just now releasing the photos. His website is http://evogphotography.com/.

Enjoy

Comment

Some more photos from the shoot.

Comment

Looks good!! Nice work, wish I had the drove to finish (or time) mine.

Comment

The pictures only make this bike a actual piece of ART , well done truly a master piece !!!! Thanx for sharing really........

Comment

Working...
                                X