Project katana 600 swap (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project katana 600 swap (pics)

Today I finally got my 96' katana 600 parts bike delivered to my house for a whopping $270. I was pretty happy with the condition of everything and I think I should be able to make my money back after scrapping the frame and motor as well as the stock parts that end up pulled off the gs550.
    Before I saw the bike I was considering keeping the 600 motor but upon seeing it there is no way that motor will run without a good chunk of change spent so it will now become scrap. Apparently the bike was stored outside with the motor disassembled so its now a big chunk of rust inside and out. So scrap metal it is lol.

The plan is to swap the rear swingarm and wheel to match the front end that I got done today. The decisions I have to make now are to either

- Mount the katana wheel on the stock swingarm or mount the whole katana swingarm (which will extend the rear wheel position by 3-4 inches)

- (if I go with the katana swingarm) make a mount and go with the katana monoshock or to grab those RFY shocks off of ebay and mount tabs on the katana swing arm... I kindof like the idea of the "old school" look the duals will proved but the monoshock will look alot cleaner I think.

So on to the pics...

as it showed up at my place:

the katana front off the bike:

The GS with the front end removed:

First test fit on the GS:

As it sits now:

The one thing that I do need to address is the "quick-turn" throttle mod. As of now the way the handles are positioned it is almost impossible to get to full throttle. I was planning on using the katana throttle tube but it broke pretty badly, I'm assuming from sitting out in the hot florida sun for too long unprotected.

I used the rear seat off the katana as the driver's seat... turned around and attatched to the frame it actually works quite well and looks alright too other than needing to be recovered. It works temporarily but will definitely need some attention before I can claim its permanent.
    Soon it will be time to think about paint and what new direction I want to go with this bike. I'm over the flat black at the moment and just looking for something new.

Let me know what you guys think

I vote for mono shock setup.

Comment

I like the mono shock idea but I've been contemplating the dual set up with multiple mounting-tabs spaced along the swingarm to be able to switch between high and low stances on the bike. idk if this will work but its an idea for now.

Comment

The katana swing arm is about .5" too wide where it connects to the frame so tonights goal is to shave down the inner sides of the frame to make it fit. More pics later.

Comment

Dealt with the spacing issue. Had to grind down the inner sides of the frame where the swingarm meets the frame. I need to find a longer chain for this to work but I like the results so far.

Still need to order the rear suspension and have mounting tabs welded on the swingarm. Hopefully I can get that done by the end of the week. I've decided on the dual shock set up. and the height should be around how it looks in the picture above.

Planning on a new paint job for the bike later on; I'm thinking Orange frame with orange pinstripe around each wheel and possibly an orange stripe on the tank either top or side and then everything else in a gloss Charcoal Grey type of color to match the wheels.

The orange idea comes from inspiration from my best friend who passed away in february from luekemia/lymphoma and orange is the "color" to signify that form of cancer. I'm debating an orange ribbon painted on the bike somewhere but I dont want to make it too cheesy about the whole cancer thing. Either way, just an idea.

Comment

Working...
          X