The non-running GS450ET is now RUNNING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The non-running GS450ET is now RUNNING!

After a month of research and shopping and wrenching...I poured some gas in the fuel tank, igniton on, choke on, start button....VROOOOOOM!
    It was very satisfying to finaly make some smoke and some roaring noises and having the tachometer needle move all at the same time!
    The fuel tank has been cleaned out and sealed inside. It has been repainted and striped and has a new petcock attached to the bottom. The valves have all been adjusted to specs. The valve adjustment required one size thinner shim at each lifter. The main electrical harness has been replaced as well as the igniter, starter solenoid, both ignition coils, spark plugs, and lots of light bulbs. Two new tires have been mounted on the rims with new valve stems. The rear brakes got cleaned and adjusted. The front brake pads got replaced and the fluid replaced. The clutch has been adjusted. The fork oil has been changed. Rear swingarm disasembled, greased and reinstalled. All the handlebar switches have been disassembled, cleaned, lubed with electrical grease and reinstalled. The airbox has been removed and K and N filters installed. New intakes and new intake O rings installed. Two sets of twin carbs have been dipped and rebuilt.
    It's time to get a registration and insurance and then do some plug chops!!!
    There are a still a couple items left on the to do list: Add a small fusebox, three relays, wire the voltage regulator and test the charging system, replace the old front hydraulic rubber hose with a new SS brake line, fork seals, gear indicator lamps to LED's, dual horns.....
    Wanna see some pics? I'll start posting some soon....
    Thanks for all the help guys (answering my newbie questons)...You (GSR members) made it a whole lot easier to get this bike sorted out.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM.

Congrats......

Comment

Congrats!! And YES, definitely want to see the pics!

Comment

So good to see someone do the required work instead of whining about why the bike doesn't run very well.

Congrats, well done, and yes we need pictures.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          So good to see someone do the required work instead of whining about why the bike doesn't run very well.

Congrats, well done, and yes we need pictures.
          It surprised me how WELL it runs...smooth...and NO BLOWBY! I haven't ridden it yet. It's still on the front porch. The clutch came back to life instantly, once running (Hurray!) I was a little nervous about that clutch being stuck. Most of the rust is gone now. I Found a couple pinhole exhaust leaks on the right side bottom mid-pipe area (to be mig welded closed soon).
          Today I also pulled a three relay box from under the hood of a junk 1996 Toyota Corolla- to be used on the bike soon for Ignition, horn, and headlamp relays. I like the box because it's water tight with a snap on cover with o ring and it's small enough to fit between the side covers and the price was right (free).

Comment

Glad that you allegedly have your bike running. Of course without pictures or video it didn't happen.

Comment

I'm not sure about how to make and publish a video.... It would be easy to pour a little diesel fuel or tranny fluid in the plug holes and fire it up and then take a picture of the smoke coming out of the pipes...I'll post some smoke tomorow...and try to post some video...

Comment

upload pics and video to photobucket, and then you can post the pics and link to the video in your post....

how to post pics

video is very similar....

Comment

The biggest problem I have as far as video goes is that flashplayer won't install properly on my computer. I've tried already about 5 times.

Comment

Woooohooo! Another 450 back on the road

Well done!
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      Woooohooo! Another 450 back on the road

Well done!
                      Not back on the road yet- but getting much closer.

Comment

new tires
                        front

and rear

painted tank with striping matching my new riding gear and helmet

The sawzall had to come out today because of tachometer issue...

it got the job done and the tach is repaired and back on the bike

here's a view of the setup I used to run the bike without installing the fuel tank with cooling fan for tuning without overheating
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM. Reason: Larger pictures with photobucket

Comment

seems your having issues in posting pics...LOL

did you follow the how to ?

copy the img link and paste it into your post, not the http link

Comment

Thanks Gatekeeper. I'll try that next time! I wasn't in the mood today for reading and learning...Flashplayer wouldn't install again...and downloading tooks lots of time. I did a long message with lots of typing and somehow was logged off GSR. That whole long post evaporated. Then I just did the quick post you just read.

Comment

from this

to this

to this

to this

Comment

Working...
                              X