1981 GS1100E Ground Up Resto Begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100E Ground Up Resto Begins!

After sitting in my garage for 25 years I decided to pull out the bike that I rolled off the showroom floor 30 years ago. I disassembled the entire bike, right down to the very last bolt. Had the engine cases blasted and painted. Had a good valve job done & the cylinders bored for the new Weisco 1166 Kit. I have new APE HD Cylinder Studs & Bolts and new APE Main Bearing Studs. I have cleaned all the bolt holes and washed down everything and I am ready to begin laying out the parts for the engine assembly. I will post pictures of the Engine assembly as it progresses!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM.

Sweet! You're off to a terrific start. Hope the pace picks up from what it was.
    1983 GS1100E

Comment

Had my Nephew fab me up a mount for the cases so I can mount the engine on an automotive engine stand. Now I can turn the engine in any direction to work on it. Here is a picture of the lower case mounted alone while I installed the APE HD Main Bearing Studs.

Comment

Boxed up the Fox Gas Shocks and resservoirs and shipped them off to Evolution Suspension today to be referbished.

Comment

Looking very good Earl! Sounds like you are gonna do things right.
          No signature

Comment

Subscribed.....

Comment

Polishing

Working on some polishing.

Comment

Question: how did this work out for you? (They're in the neighborhood and this would be an easy go-to) Thx

Originally posted by Earl Jaguar View Post
                Boxed up the Fox Gas Shocks and resservoirs and shipped them off to Evolution Suspension today to be referbished.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Jaguar View Post
                  Kool old school reservoir shock; never seen that type before.

Comment

Oh wow, this one's going to be a beaut!

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                      Question: how did this work out for you? (They're in the neighborhood and this would be an easy go-to) Thx
                      Thx for PM

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Kool old school reservoir shock; never seen that type before.
                        Thor Lawson's site has a decent listing of some of these older models.
                        It sux Fox won't touch them, as I could deliver them within 15 minutes on my bicycle! (but I get it)

Looking forward to this rebuild Earl! cheers

Comment

Someone that's starting out with the motor and not the frame plus the polishing you've done on the pegs tells me to watch this tread!

Nice

Comment

Working...
                          X