Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS550 been sitting 5 years where do i start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS550 been sitting 5 years where do i start?

Hi,
    I am new to motorcycles and new to this forum.
    I just picked up a 1979 GS550 from my neighbor for $30. It's complete and supposedly ran when parked 5 years ago. will take pictures and post them this weekend.
    Where should I start as far as trying to get this bike running.
    I work on cars as a hobby but know nothing about motorcycles.
    To start off I do not have a key for the bike and the steering wheel is locked.
    I got a Haynes repair manual from the library.

I am going to start by removing the ignition cylinder and seeing if that will unlock the bike so i can move it to my drive way.
    and drain the gas from the gas tank .
    What should I do next?
    Any and all tips would be helpful
    thanks in advance for any responses.
    --Matt

Removing the ignition cylinder should unlock the steering. There are 2 hex bolts that hold it in.

I guess I would start by manually turning the crank to see that its free. Remove the right side points cover and turn the big bolt. Be careful, if there is any significant resistance you should probably stop.

The list of maintenance item that have invariably been ignored is quite long but, fortunately, it is also well documented.

Comment

Take_the_three_number_code_from_the_seat_lock_to_a _Suzuki_dealer_and_get_a_key_made.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Take_the_three_number_code_from_the_seat_lock_to_a _Suzuki_dealer_and_get_a_key_made.

Eric
        Did you break your space bar?
        I only ask because I got beer on mine once and the space wouldn't work.
        So.all.my.sentences.looked.like.this.lol.

Comment

Tank,_it_just_quit_working.

Nothing_spilled.

Eric
          Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

hi, where ya from, how old are you ,do you work?
            my honest opinion let it go , save and get a gsxr750 if your young, older guys dont like them
            only reason i say this is its time consuming , money eating,and you wont get many girls on it

if you really want to fix it this is the place to be, lots of info here

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
              my honest opinion let it go , save and get a gsxr750 if your young, older guys dont like them
              only reason i say this is its time consuming , money eating,and you wont get many girls on it

What a hurtful thing to say about the poor GS550.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                What a hurtful thing to say about the poor GS550.
                Is_it_an_L_model?__

Eric

Comment

thanks for the quick responses. Ill post pics and more info on friday when i get a chance to play with it.

Comment

Leave the gas in the tank, unless it's full of crap and water and any other nasty things...

reason I say to leave it in there, is if you drain it, and don't dry the tank, and or live in a humid area you will start getting rust in the tank, at least the gas is preventing this....

If you have to, drain it and dry it, leave it open so it will stay dry.

BassCliff will be along shortly with you Mega Welcome Package and with your official welcome to the site......

but to get you started, go here, and get an online manual for your bike, and have a look around at all the other goodies there as well

Welcome to the site...

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post

I guess I would start by manually turning the crank to see that its free. Remove the right side points cover and turn the big bolt. Be careful, if there is any significant resistance you should probably stop.
                      before i turn over a motor that's been sitting i pull the plugs and spray a bunch of pb blaster into the cylinders. they're probably pretty dry inside and maybe set up a bit. possibly even a bit rusty.

might as well pull them carbs and start the dip and clean and rebuild process, ya know they need it.
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post

Hey now...I'm 45 and I have a GSXR 750 AND a GS 550 .....

Comment

Working...
                        X