Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS300 Project - Where do I start

Hello All,

I wanted to start a thread to get some input about where I should go next in my GS300 project.

For those who have been following my other thread, I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic, but I have painfully and slowly learned a lot about the "problem child" bike I picked up a few months ago. The GS300 is a rare bike that shares a lot of parts with other bikes which seemed to be more popular than the GS300. After scouring the internet for GS300 information, I was led to the GSR where patient awesome members have helped me bring a non-running hunk of rust into a unique and fun commuter.

Here is what I started with:

Here is where I am at:

I hope to do something really interesting with this bike, as there are not many of them out there from what I understand. I'd like to use this thread to bounce ideas of others and also to share what (little) I have learned about this bike.

I don't like the bulkiness of the seat or the tupperware airbox set up.

My first instinct was to cafe it out, but I like the original shape of the tank and I also don't have the classic spoked wheels or suspension. I like the clean and simplicity of a cafe, but I don't think it would work with this easily.

A bobber-style is too grungy for me, and I don't think I could show up to my office job on a rat-rod inspired cruiser.

My ultimate goal is to have a custom commuter that shines like hell and is sporty and clean.

My current inspiration is a 50's era Chevy Bel Aire. I love the look of this car and I think this is the general direction I want to go:

This is going to be a long process, but I look forward to all the input and learning that will come along the way!
    Black (back to stock)
    28.95%
    Pearl with black trim
    18.42%
    Telecaster/57 chevy green with white pin stripes
    42.11%
    Red with gold trim
    10.53%
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM.

Ok love the inspiration... that's pretty much my dream car, a '50's era Chevy...

Anyway, seats aren't hard to do, I shaped the foam for mine myself and got it covered professionally, but if I was to do it again I'd give it a go myself.

The photo you have there of the 300 makes me think your bike would lend itself to the "brat" style or something along those lines. Doesn't have to be ratty, but essentially it would mean a minimal seat (probably single seater) and ditching the airbox and side covers in favour of pods and an open triangle. The battery would need to be dealt with somehow, maybe a small Shorai (expensive) or maybe just make a nicer battery box for it...

Have a peak at post #538 in this thread to see what I mean, I love this bike:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Here is the post Pete was talking about.
      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I would go slow on the project. If you are riding it while working on it then IMO it would be best to do things in chunks. If all the mechanical is out of the way I would say work on the seat first.

Comment

I definitely have been thinking about tackling the seat first. Although I have no idea where to begin.

I was thinking something LIKE this but not this exactly:

Hi everyone, Well I'm very close to starting a "Big Arse Project" thread for my CB450 build, but before getting into that, I thought I'd do a write-up on my seat build for the project. The materials are all about the same as I used on my tank, so refer to...

I don't think I would follow the lines at all, but I like how he is tucking things away and bringing it in.

I definitely thought about switching to pods - don't I have to re-jet carbs though?

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
          I definitely thought about switching to pods - don't I have to re-jet carbs though?
          How come? You just like the look? Not sure how much more air flow you would get with pods. You would likely still have to rejet and figure out what you want to do with the crankcase breather hose.

Comment

One nice thing about these GS300's is the fact they really don't need new parts to properly maintain them. The only fluid is oil and the only consumables are brake shoes and spark plugs and oil filter. That was one factor that pushed me into the final buying decision for my 300. It's up to you but I think that is something to keep in mind when modifying and upgrading things...

Comment

Mainly the look and it cleans up underneath the seat. I know they don't really add anything power-wise, and honestly with the 300 I'm never going to get a whole heaping lot of power anyways.

The breather tube - just stick an in-line fuel filter in the end and zip tie to frame underneath the tank?

Comment

Better run a line down below the motor just in case you do have blowby you don't want an oily mess maybe just make a oil catch tank like Pete did.

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                  Better run a line down below the motor just in case you do have blowby you don't want an oily mess maybe just make a oil catch tank like Pete did.
                  Yeah I'd have to look into it more. Again I don't know a whole lot so I'd have to look and see what to do.

I think that is further down the road. I'd like to get a decent seat started first.

Comment

So I got a little bored and decided to draw up (in MS paint lol) a couple ideas of what I was thinking. I know this is a long way off, and trust me, this is WAY brighter of a blue than I was thinking, but here are a couple of ideas I came up with.

Pete - that is a great bike! I took a couple cues from that and came up with this:

I wouldn't want to keep the side covers, but I couldn't get what I was looking for without getting them to match the tank. Or I might just make some sheet metal ones and hide the electric goodies somewhere else...

I also messed around a little with the idea of a bullet shaped tail. Kind of cafe but a bit different. If I went this route I would think about pulling the turn signals up tighter into the frame.

I definitely like the idea of keeping both fenders. They are both in excellent condition and give it the retro look. I know a lot of people don't like chrome, but for that 50s look they're great.

Here is what I have on the frame to work with for creating a seat pan. It ain't purdy -

Comment

If you do decide to do it, then try to keep everything on the frame intact if this is your first go at it.

If you start cutting things off and change your mind, there's no going back.

I was able to reuse the tail piece bracket and mould my new tail piece over it with steel rod and mesh, so I didn't have to modify the frame and could retain the stock seat lock.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Totally agree. My thought would be to start out using another old seat pan (buy for cheap) and then just shave that pan and mold the seat to my liking.

Update: Bought an old seat pan and it should be here next week. Currently waiting on sprockets and chain. I swear nobody ever has anything you need in stock.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I end up getting 99% of my parts mail order. The only dealership that has Suzuki close by is a joke. They might carry spark plugs and oil filters but everything else for a bike older than 3 years will have to be ordered. Were you getting new tires?

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                            I end up getting 99% of my parts mail order. The only dealership that has Suzuki close by is a joke. They might carry spark plugs and oil filters but everything else for a bike older than 3 years will have to be ordered. Were you getting new tires?
                            Yeah, mail older is definitely cheaper too. I am so impatient thought.

Tires I will probably hold off on as the ones are decent enough for my little riding around town for the rest of summer.

Probably when I really start getting into the full rebuild/project over this winter I'll look into buying some nicer tires. Maybe some big fat white walls or something

Do you know where in Pete's rebuild thread the breather tube mods you were talking about are? I have looked but I couldn't find it.

Where did you source all of your jets and carb stuff from?

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
                              Yeah, mail older is definitely cheaper too. I am so impatient thought.

Tires I will probably hold off on as the ones are decent enough for my little riding around town for the rest of summer.

Probably when I really start getting into the full rebuild/project over this winter I'll look into buying some nicer tires. Maybe some big fat white walls or something

Do you know where in Pete's rebuild thread the breather tube mods you were talking about are? I have looked but I couldn't find it.

Where did you source all of your jets and carb stuff from?
                              For the breather question... check here

I bought all every replacement part from Suzuki except for the O rings which I got from cycleorings.com... The main jets are 115 and the pilot jets are 17.5 you don't have to get SGP like I did but I'm trying to keep my bike as original as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X