No announcement yet.

1981 gs 450e (startout $50)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The small motorcycle batteries should only be charged at 2amp (low) setting. The battery maybe completely charged with the new acid in there. I'd still keep a 2amp charge on it during testing. The engine isn't locked up- that's a good thing. The engine should spin fast since there's no compression. When I'm getting an engine to run again which hasn't in a long time- I always pour some oil in the spark plug holes and spin it. About a tablespoon is enough. The oil helps lubricate the cylinder walls and the rings. Oil might shoot back out of the holes when spinning with no plugs in there. That's a good thing if it happens. You could test the compression gauge on another working engine- a lawn mower, weedeater, or a car....

Comment

yea im gonna get my dads charger tomrow and try it with it on.. and it i figure seeing the tire was spining the first time that would mean that the motor still in working condition right...poured a little oil in like you said but what do u mean when u say spin it?

Comment

Originally posted by lorello View Post
        yea im gonna get my dads charger tomrow and try it with it on.. and it i figure seeing the tire was spining the first time that would mean that the motor still in working condition right...poured a little oil in like you said but what do u mean when u say spin it?
        What I mean when I say spin it is energize the starter solenoid so that the starter spins the engine...spin it="crank" the engine using the electric starter.

Comment

alright thats what i thought but wasnt sure if u ment manualy ill give it another go tomrow try the gage on my lawn mower

Comment

also when spinning the engine- monitor the starter temperature. Don't let the starter get too hot. Let it cool off as needed if it gets hot. Hot=hot to touch using your hand.

Comment

sorry about the delay havnt had money to put into my bike but just got a new job so should be able to get the carbs and air box soon.. im planing on trying to get a tank at the same time as the carbs n stuff save on some shipping. i wanted to know how interchangeable the tanks are between models or the mesurments id need to know to get an aftermarket one.

Comment

Working...
              X