R&R of the new engine in the GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&R of the new engine in the GS

Hey guys. I got the engine replaced in the GS and it is running so strong.

little trick that I learned during this process too.
    The shaft boot at the back of the engine is a CV Boot from Autozone, the largest generic one.
    I cut off the last three ribs and it works great for the new boot replacement.
    It was only $29

what do you guys think.. Other than a cleaning I think it looks much better...

Comment

Nice looking bike.

That an '82 engine?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, I am just curious. How can you tell the 82 from the 80

Comment

Please add the boot replacement to the "Tips" section on this forum.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by trinitysj View Post
            How can you tell the 82 from the 80
            The '80 and '81 engines had a bump at the back of the clutch cover where the kick starter was on the '79s.

The bump was removed in '82, and an '83 engine would have been black.
            This is an '81, but has an '82 airbox on it. You can easily see the bump on the back of the clutch cover.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

That looks really killer dude! Nice one

Comment

If you've got some close up photo's of that boot trick you did I'd sure appreciate it. Great little trick indeed. Bike looks great. What are those body parts from, bet that took some fiddlin' to get them on there.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The '80 and '81 engines had a bump at the back of the clutch cover where the kick starter was on the '79s.

The bump was removed in '82, and an '83 engine would have been black.
                  This is an '81, but has an '82 airbox on it. You can easily see the bump on the back of the clutch cover.

I totally see that.. thanks for the info on the year differences.

I will do a post and write up with pics on the boot replacement.
                  It was easy and cheap to do. All in all, it took about 5 min.

Comment

here is the post of the project that I did with the bike. All the details are in the thread.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=194713

Comment

I probably have an '80-'81 airbox around here if you would rather have the correct one that doesn't run into your side covers on it.

Eric

Comment

I have the airbox for the 82 engine. It has some damages boots so I am getting them replaced before I put them on...

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          I probably have an '80-'81 airbox around here if you would rather have the correct one that doesn't run into your side covers on it.

Eric
                          Thanks, but that was "Freebie", the one "catch and release" bike I have had.

It was gone a couple of years ago, just before I got "Junior".

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I don't think that you are understanding what I am saying.
                            Your airbox should look like this one...

I can't find a better picture of it with the side cover on it as most of my GS's tend to get pods.

Eric

Comment

That is the airbox that I have. correct in that it is the one from the 82, right?
                              and with my bike.. they mostly get air pods too.... with correct jetting in the carbs as well, since it is 4 to 1 exhaust and airpods.

Comment

Working...
                              X