Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 or 1982 Suzuki GS550m Katana

Hi all, posting on behalf of my dad.

He recently acquired a non running 1981/1982 gs550. Its the red and grey one. Its in a sorry state for the most part and he would like to restore it.

As we live in South Africa, parts are a bit of a problem. So my fisrt question is where is a good place to get parts relativelt cheaply? I did a web search and found someone called CMSNL but they had no website.

Secondly, the bike was running a while back. when it died out it was taken to a mechanic by the previous owner ruling that it was an electrical problem. If so, whats the most common place to start with on the bike?

Lastly, what are the sort of "normal problem" with these bikes? Like jumping out of gear, oil leaks, just things to look out for. I dont mind doing the reading, but after spending the morning searching and barely finding anything I am a bit lost.

I managed to find a parts microphice but its in many pages. Is there a link to download a full one or a full manual for free? My dad is very mechanically inclined, we just need a starting point.

This looks like a cool forum and am really glad I managed to find it

Hi babes.

An electrical problem........
    Hmmmm......
    Think we need a bit more info...
    first things first, Have you got a new battery?
    When you connect it and turn the key, what happens?
    does the engine turn over?
    Does the starter "click" but not turn engine?
    How are the fuses?
    Is the petrol new and clean?
    Has it got points or an Ignitor box fitted?

More info please.

Don't worry, everyone has been here. This is just the first step, Your bike should be purring in no time...
    good luck.

Write soon.
    Xxx
    Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Hi,Why not introduce yourself in the GS Owners section,someone will be giving you more reading material on these bikes than you ever thought possible.
      Good luck with the project.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Welcome to the site. I'd start here

Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not

and read up on a lot of good information. This will have every tidbit of advice on fixing things, wiring diagrams, service manuals, etc.

Like Seana said, you'll want to ensure you have a good working battery first. There are links off the website's main page (www.thegsresources.com) titled In The Garage and then Stator Papers. Look those over and then come back here to do some more research as there isn't a single question that hasn't been asked at least once.

Where are you in SA? Flyboy is in your neck of the woods so drop him a Private Message (PM) and he might be able to lend a hand.

Finally, you'll have to reference the bike quite often when asking for help. It's a great idea to put the bike information in your signature file (User CP, Edit Signature) and your location in your profile (User CP, Edit Profile). Also, set your reading format to be Linear, oldest posts first so you can read and search without too many issues.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Another 550 Katana lives.

With some patience going through the electrical and fuel system (carbs, lines, tank) it should run great. The necessary info is listed in the posts above me.

Mine leaks a bit, sure.
          No complaints otherwise as it always starts and goes. I just replaced the pan gasket and redid the drain plug insert a month ago. (Yes, without touching the exhaust). This is just one source of minor oil leaks though.

Have fun. See ya around. Look for the rebuild by Sci85. He is redoing one and it will be flashy and mechanically sound like new.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Working...
          X