1982 GS650G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G project

Basically, I bought an 82 GS650G on Sunday and I am in the process of tearing it apart. Got the tank, seat, fenders, lights, and gauges off (not the center cluster though). Amidst all the dust, rust, and grease a few problems arose but they were expected. Here's my laundry list. not looking for an easy answer, but simply links for research is much appreciated as well as any insight to what I should do and look for as well

- Starter button does not function (doesn't turn over, or make the starter click) so I will be hopefully getting one from someone parting theirs out
    - when jumped, struggles to turn over (probably just dying battery since I was playing with the lights and whatnot when I got it)
    - Does not run (Who would've thought) but he did not realize the petcock was clogged, so obviously did not run
    - Getting a new petcock as well per. the newbie recommendations
    - High beam did not work when i flicked the switch (regular lights on did though)
    -When depressed, rear brake did not make the rear light brighter (if it should?)
    - There is no air filter assembly (I was thinking pods, but am reconsidering due to things I have been reading on here about them and the GS' dislike of them)
    - With the main harness being 25+ years old, did seem a bit dirty and grimy but should I replace it? Wires seemed alright, but maybe thats for down the road
    - Front brake does not function, assuming it has something to do with the spring in the master cylinder but have not investigated (there is fluid though which needs to be drained, and hoses replaced)
    - Oil/oil filter (Just general question since I have never changed or anything motorcycle oil related )

Any help is thoroughly appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM.

As far as the starter button goes: if the kill switch is off (or broken), or the clutch isn't held in, the starter button won't do anything. Get a wiring diagram and study it, you'll find the connections........

If your low beam stays on, I believe it's just the switch not making the proper contact. And "usually" the wiring throughout the bike is ok, but it's the contacts at every end that get corroded.

Comment

Refer to this link. It is filled with all kinds of info. click on the mega welcome

Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Thanks guys!

I checked the wiring diagram, and was right but missed the tophat, a few of the copper connections were severed so i decided to just get a new one. I think for one reason or another a previous owner burned out the starter (black copper and wire, melted plastic, if thats possible). As to the main harness, I was feeling the same I'll only change it if I find something wrong with the connections.

Anyone got some insight into what I should look out for when tearing it down?

Comment

Did you say wiring?

Eric

Comment

Hmmm... I don't know if I would be willing to pay for something I could do myself. It would somewhat depend on how lazy and how much money I would have to spend. But, I am here to learn so there'd be no point in pawning the problem off to someone else

Thanks though Eric! Nice to know I have a backup in case I murder my harness.

Comment

Actually took pictures. Nothing special, just tearing down still. On the way

Comment

Those painted rims look bitchin, well they were : )

And I like the sign you borrowed.

Comment

Originally posted by candlebox View Post
                  Those painted rims look bitchin, well they were : )

And I like the sign you borrowed.
                  Good thing thats mostly just grease, dirt, and dust
                  I need to find a pressure washer
                  I'm thinking of powder coating them the same color when I get the frame, and bodywork done. But, as most things, that will be dictated by money

Comment

Yeah i am thinking of a dark red if it looks nice. Red frame w/ Red wheels. My bike is black stock, might do a Gun Metal grey, or the same color as my mustang.

By the way that is my parents house...and my zuki is under that tarp in this pic :P, now its at my house where it belongs

Comment

I actually like that blue and white color scheme. Reminiscent of the Cooley look. Not so sure about the blue rims though.

Comment

Got the main harness of her today! Took off the battery, mount, and took the pegs off. Hopefully, it will be ready for my plan. If anyone was wondering, it will be a Father's Day gift. I mean, if he wants it Im going to keep the Wes Cooley colors and paint job, but the forks, exhaust, springs, basically everything else will be changed.

Funny thing that I found on the battery cage was the 12V relay used for the Coil Relay Mod but it was incomplete, and not even wired up. So, basically, whoever tried to make this bike run gave up not even halfway through. Time to finish the job, and make it even better

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                        I actually like that blue and white color scheme. Reminiscent of the Cooley look. Not so sure about the blue rims though.
                        That's exactly what drew me to it. After research, it turned out it was painted after the Wes Cooley 1000. Even have the headlight fairing for it but it is a tad broken

Comment

Bondo the fairing

Comment

UPDATE(kinda): Bought a new starter/killswitch should be here wednesday. Going to move it to an actual buddies garage so I can work on taking out the motor, wheels, do a little carb-dip and orings, etc. Probably going to buy a used Vance & hines from a member here after that, I will be putting it back together to get it to run and get a baseline for what else I need to do. Then, teardown for the cafe project begins.

Comment

Finally go around to pulling the carbs They are actually a lot cleaner than I thought (on the inside, and many of the screws were stripped so i had some fun tapping them out), but a PO used silicone for some of the passage plugs as well as some of the float bowl gaskets I will most likely be getting some new plugs from Z1 when I rebuild them along with the o-rings from Mr. Barr.

Upon inspection, the main jet was upped to 145. This makes sense since it came with some pods and a 4-1. So, some work was done before me. The slides and rubber boot looked IMMACULATE, as did the pilot jet. But, I stopped there since I had to do some work around the house as well as catch up on some classwork.

Here are some pictures of the bodies

Comment

Working...
                              X