No announcement yet.

'82 GS550L - Senior Project (Father/Son) Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try what jeep said first but if it don't work and you have tried every other option try welding a smaller bolt to the broken one just be careful and don't weld the broken one in

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      The rust on the valve is not a problem

It sucks about the header bolts but beware NO EASY OUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
      Only sorrow and mayhem will come of them, There are a few threads on removing bolts with heat, Teutonic spite and a left handed drill bit.
      Teutonic spite? Where can I buy some of that?

Comment

You cannot buy it rather you must channel it across generations of your DNA

Sorry dude I was using a bit of colourful language there is no product

Comment

Awesome project there and it looks like you guys are going to be having a barrel of fun along the way, will be following with interest.
          The Jeepster beat me to it, as far as the exhaust bolts go......NO EASY OUTS they will cause you a world of misery and strife, believe it to be true.

Yes that "bump" on your exhaust looks like nothing more than 30 year old packing from the joint, should chip off easily enough with a small chisel.
          All in all, looks like you guys have a good solid bike to work with there.
          And no doubt you will be "thanking" the PO in some colourful language a few times before this build is done.....

Comment

So I've got the exhausts themselves pretty shiny, but the flanges are filthy. What is the best way to de-rust and clean these, without taking them off? Unless there's an easy way to get them off and back on again.

(This is before I cleaned the pipe)
            Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

You cannot buy it rather you must channel it across generations of your DNA

Sorry dude I was using a bit of colourful language there is no product
              I wonder, is Teutonic spite better than Celtic anger? 'Cause I'm more Scottish than German.

Comment

Originally posted by 82 GS550L Basket Case View Post
                I wonder, is Teutonic spite better than Celtic anger? 'Cause I'm more Scottish than German.
                HA I am too In fact I am heading to a festival this weekend

Now if I was you I woud get me some evaporust and finagle some way of dipping thos shrouds.

Even a wetted rag in a zip lock bag would work

I think taking em off would be more truble than it is worth.

Comment

HA I am too In fact I am heading to a festival this weekend

Now if I was you I woud get me some evaporust and finagle some way of dipping thos shrouds.

Even a wetted rag in a zip lock bag would work

I think taking em off would be more truble than it is worth.
                  What did you mean by "a rag in a zip lock bag"? im a bit confused by it...

Comment

I used vinegar to de-rust my stuff. Really cheap and works well. It is a slower process though. Takes a day or two to get the really rusty stuff clean. I found that apple cider vinegar actually worked a little better than the white vinegar.

Fill a container up with the vinegar. Dunk the part. Let it sit. Check from time to time. A little scrubbing and you're golden.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 82 GS550L Basket Case View Post
                      What did you mean by "a rag in a zip lock bag"? im a bit confused by it...
                      Take a small rag or even paper towel
                      dip it in evaporust
                      place it in a small bag
                      then take the bag and use it like a condom over the shrouds

tape of the open end and evaporation will do the rest.

Comment

About to remove and clean engine

Yesterday my dad and I began the process, given by the GS550 Service manual, on how to take the engine off the frame. So far, we have removed the gear shifter, made a homeade engine stand, and removed the sprocket cover. The sprocket is absolutely Wonderfully dirty and i was wondering, would it be safe to spray down the engine with a hose with the sprocket cover off? or do i have to remove all this by hand? As always welcome to ideas and replies!

This is the primary and cover after taking the cover off.

Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM. Reason: parts ID

Comment

Use some heavy duty de-greaser. That and some elbow grease will work wonders. Any auto-parts store will carry a suitable product. I've had good results when rebuilding car motors with Gunk Engine Degreaser. Be sure to pick up more than one can, you'll go through it faster than you think.

If it's truly hard to remove a wire brush will help loosen it up.

Comment

I use kerosene and a tun pan and a small parts brush.
                            Cheaper in the long run.

Comment

hey man im doing a rebuild/cafe project try this stuff called bar keepers friend for rust.
                              make sure to buy the powder not the pre made liquid unless thats all you can get.
                              get a wet rag ring it out/ pour some of the BKF on the rag and roll it up into a little ball then press firmly on the rusty spots and scrub.
                              then flip rag wipe and then dry with a dry rag.
                              watch what happens soooo amazing i use it on chrome for anything i use.. truck/bike/bolts/ whatever.

Also use SIMPLE GREEN somone else was talking about it on one of these forums its a liquorice smelling liquid that works wonders mixed with a little mineral spirits and a sponge/rag/tooth brush and spray with house after you have cleeeeaann metal!!!

Comment

PB Blaster is also really effective at removing rust. It comes in an aerosol can for about $5 - spray it on and let it sit for a while before scrubbing it off

Comment

Working...
                                X