Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
    you guys clearly don't know what you're talking about

what should i even do to this thing? *dremel wire brush?

I think we know what were talking about, but geez we didn't know we'd be up against something that looks like it spent most of it's life in salt water. I've never seen one that looked that bad.
    Anyway, for starters I would seriously look for a "replacement" I have seen them on E-bay a perhaps someone here might have one they'll depart with.
    Other than that, I'd ohms check for varying resistance throughout the floats range, to see if it even works. If by chance it does or can be made to by cleaning the contacts, I'd soak it in a product called "Evaporust"

But that's a long shot. If it were mine, I might keep it just to fill the hole until I could locate another, then I'd toss it with extreme predjudice.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

you guys clearly don't know what you're talking about

what should i even do to this thing? *dremel wire brush?

evaporust, metal rescue, Permatex rust remover, vinegar

Any of those might save it - I'd start with vinegar because it's cheap

Don't bother with scraping it off, you'd never get enough of it
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I can't remember exactly about the galvanized stuff but it's not good. I have an old box spring I cut pieces off of, bare steel, it works well.
        That float assembly is galvanized, and it appears that in the Electrolysis process that galvanized metal became the equivalent of a sacrificial zinc anode. I've seen alot of rusty tanks but the float assemblies in them looked pretty good.
        sigpic
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          evaporust, metal rescue, Permatex rust remover, vinegar

Any of those might save it - I'd start with vinegar because it's cheap

Don't bother with scraping it off, you'd never get enough of it
          thanks. thinking about the dremel, there's also the inside to consider so yeah. i think i'm just more mechanically minded than chemically so scraping it off comes to mind first

i've never used vinegar but know i've seen mention of it here before. regular white vinegar, just soak it?

i'll try an ohms test but would be good to get the crap off it so i can at least use it to seal the hole until finding a new one if it's shot.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            That float assembly is galvanized, and it appears that in the Electrolysis process that galvanized metal became the equivalent of a sacrificial zinc anode. I've seen alot of rusty tanks but the float assemblies in them looked pretty good.
            OMG SCIENCE!

do you think that's possible? the current wasn't connected to the float assembly, it was connected to the crappy threaded rod i bought... though of course it's electricity, it goes where it wants....

so you're suggesting that the reason this one looks like it's made of rust is that it acted as the anode, since i didn't pull it before trying electrolysis, AND my anode wasn't good steel, so the float assembly basically attracted as much rust as it could?

Comment

OMG SCIENCE!

do you think that's possible? the current wasn't connected to the float assembly, it was connected to the crappy threaded rod i bought... though of course it's electricity, it goes where it wants....

so you're suggesting that the reason this one looks like it's made of rust is that it acted as the anode, since i didn't pull it before trying electrolysis, AND my anode wasn't good steel, so the float assembly basically attracted as much rust as it could?
              Just saying I do believe it's a possibility, whenever you have disimilar metals submerged in water you get electrolysis, galvanic corrosion.
              The float assembly was grounded to the tank by the securing screws.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

I cleaned one up great in Evaporust.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I cleaned one up great in Evaporust.
                  yeah i can always give it a bath. we'll see, can't hurt to try salvaging it

Comment

As I found out at the time... They are not easy to find now..!
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      I'd soak it in a product called "Evaporust"
                      http://www.evapo-rust.com/
                      Evaporust!
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        As I found out at the time... They are not easy to find now..!
                        I've looked on e-bay and I can't find one at present.
                        As bad as the unit looks, it appears to be structurally sound, looks like just superficial surface rust.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Dan is right on the evaporust..its a great product..but kinda pricey.

I am for the vinegar and have used it on many pieces..cheap to get. Only drawback is that it works slower than the other stronger chemicals, so soak time will be much longer.

Once it has soaked, there are 3 little bent over tabs that hold the cover on. GENTLY lift them and remove the cover. Clean the contacts and the coiled wire board thing with a soft toothbrush and some baking soda.

My gas cap pieces for the 73 TX 750 project looked as bad as that and I used vinegar soak and it took the stuff off to bare metal again..with a little scrubbing with a brush too.

Heres the parts after they were soaked and the rust in the bowl. The rust was so bad it left the parts well pitted, as you can see. But the vinegar did its job well.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Mine looked worse than that and i just put it on a wire wheel. I thn took the cover off and cleaned the inside with small wire brush and scewdriver as a scraper. Light sandpaper on the contacts.

If your fuel guage worked, then maybe you wont even need to do the contacts
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

Gregory..the vinegar will turn the gunk inside the cover to slime and just a simple toothbrush will finish the clean up.

Myself, I would be afraid of picking and poking with a screwdriver on the thin coiled wires..but that just my err to the side of caution thing.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

good idea. in retrospect, I think i was also spraying it out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner while i worked on it...but your idea sounds much safer.
                                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                                X