Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS850. Will the title pose an issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850. Will the title pose an issue?

First of all, I'm looking to purchase a 1981 GS850 WITH title for $200. It needs a battery, air box, brakes bled, oil change, etc. and the exhaust and tank are currently not on the bike. Guy says it ran last year.
    Anyway, he also mentioned it has a Missouri Title. I'm in Illinois. Is this going to cause an issue?
    Also, I know GS bikes have a cult following, and I have hopes and dreams of turning it into a cafe but I've never worked on bikes before. At this point, I'm not so concerned about cafe-ing it as I am getting it running. I'm mildly mechanical, and I think I can get it done. Although I don't know how much it will cost me.
    1. Am I getting in over my head with a project bike?
    2. Does the Missouri Title pose an issue?
    3. How much money do you think it will cost to get this bad boy on the road? (Condsidering the description)
    http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/3233899289.html

Contact your local DMV office to see what they require when bringing a vehicle in from out of state.

After that, the rest is all downhill.

1. Over your head? You will have to decide that, but it's going to need more than what you have on your list.
    2. Again, contact your DMV office.
    3. Cost will depend on what you are willing to spend, but plan on close to $1000, including the purchase price, by the time you get it reliable and rolling.

If you want a detailed list, click HERE when you have a few days to sit down and read.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by briggery16 View Post
      First of all, I'm looking to purchase a 1981 GS850 WITH title for $200. It needs a battery, air box, brakes bled, oil change, etc. and the exhaust and tank are currently not on the bike. Guy says it ran last year.
      Anyway, he also mentioned it has a Missouri Title. I'm in Illinois. Is this going to cause an issue?
      Also, I know GS bikes have a cult following, and I have hopes and dreams of turning it into a cafe but I've never worked on bikes before. At this point, I'm not so concerned about cafe-ing it as I am getting it running. I'm mildly mechanical, and I think I can get it done. Although I don't know how much it will cost me.
      1. Am I getting in over my head with a project bike?
      2. Does the Missouri Title pose an issue?
      3. How much money do you think it will cost to get this bad boy on the road? (Condsidering the description)
      http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/3233899289.html
      1) You are the only one that can answer that. I thought I did at one time, and read read read and it suddenly felt like a lot less.
      2)It may or may not, this may help though:
      The key document for registering a motorcycle is the Application for Title and Registration. This form is not available online, but it can be obtained by visiting or contacting any Secretary of State office that handles registration and titling.

In addition to the Application for Title and Registration, you will need to submit proof that you own the motorcycle. This will be the title that the previous owner signed over to you.
      Illinois motorcycle registration to find out more for your particular situation. You can also call your local DMV.
      3) I am siding with Steve. It will take about $1000, but it all depends how much YOU are willing to spend.

Good luck and have FUN WITH IT!

Comment

If you're planning to cafe it, add another zero to their $1000 if you want something you'll be happy with.

Get it running stock and see how you like it. Odds are you won't want to chop her up.

Comment

The big question is

Is the title in the sellers name?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I got my 81 GS450TX for free. I put about $700 in parts and labor in her.. I bought all the parts at cost and the labor was a friend helping me.. This has given me a complete knowledge of my machine and how best to wrench on her. Well worth the money in my opinion..

Comment

Working...
            X