No announcement yet.

Yahweh tribute bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha good stuff! I think ideal would be on the front triple clamp like the Triumphs have it, but that would mean an awfully long run from the stator and battery...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Really like your detail here. Nice work on the rear frame/pan.

I got the same bar end mirrors also. Fair quality for China stuff. Wondering which way you will mount them, I had the bracket pointing up with the mirror hanging off the top. I guess they can go either way.

Comment

Thanx Loud! The mounitng is more or less the same on the tail light after the back mounting plate got welded in place. Wasn't all that hard - card test model, some measuring, hammer and dolly - I would think about 15 mins worth of work to get it fitting right.

Messing it with welding - less than 1 minute!

I haven't really though about the mirrors or tested it out.

Bike is semi torn down with only the wheels and stands still on the frame.
        I am thinking mirror down, but that might change once I have them on...

PS: Pete, the space between the 2 seat pans is too narrow to house the R/R in any case and I wondered where to relocate them as to not get it visually in the way. When I saw your placement and the fact that it doesn't detract too much, I was sold.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
          PS: Pete, the space between the 2 seat pans is too narrow to house the R/R in any case and I wondered where to relocate them as to not get it visually in the way. When I saw your placement and the fact that it doesn't detract too much, I was sold.
          Aaaah yeah you have to get down and look to see it there

sigpic

Comment

Cool, so everything is welded up, frame stripped and got most bearings out.

Need to still do swing arm and lower triple tree.

This coming weekend I need to finish off all the welds and get the frame and wheels degreased and ready for powdercoating.

Comment

What is the preparation process for powder coat, same as paint?

If you have to sand it or sand blast it down to bear metal that would be a lot of work but probably the smoothest finish.

Project looks great!

Comment

Bevo, essentially same as paint.

The places that do powder coating does sandblasting as well. But they charge extra for grease removal, etc.

So I am just gonna smooth the welds and degrease as much as I can to avoid extra costs. I am having the shocks rebuild next week - don't have the energy (or tools) to tackle it myself.

Now the money is going to start rolling...

Comment

First set-back...took the front shocks in to get redone (chromed, etc).

The report was not good...basically just a bit of sludge came out, one shock had the wrong size seal hammered into place, the other was missing, loads of play between the inner springs and sleeves (for lack of proper term). Just not worth the rebuild.

I will have to look for better or different shocks...

Any suggestions on what will work, should be easy to find and fit?

Comment

Woohoo! Found some shocks at bike salvage shop for not too much money.

Will have to be hard chromed, so I am getting them rebuild.

Comment

Not a lot been going on lately. Family responsibilities, regulator on the portapack giving me headaches, but I did manage to finish up all the welding, got it all smoothed out, degreased and cleaned the frame, wheels and parts and planning to drop it off for powder coating on Wednesday.

Stage 1 nearly complete...

Want to tackle the soda blasting on the motor next weekend - wind permitting. Otherwise I will start stripping the tank for a respray.

Front brakes are being done - caliper rebuilt, MC serviced and new braided line made up. Have to get new rear pads. Engine gaskets are still on the way, along with new clutch cable. Have to get sprockets, new tyres will go on once the wheels get back from powdercoating...

From now on the money will start flowing.

Ooh! ooh! Got the remainder of bearing shells out of the swing arm without having to grind them out. The heat trick worked at last! And some gentle persuasion!
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2012, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I dropped the frame off for powder coating and sandblasting this past Wednesday. Hope to have it back somewhere in the week.

I decided to spend my time wisely and start sodablasting the motor. The result was less than satisfying....

After about 30 mins:

Though I suspect it might be my gear and not the soda. I think my compressor is just too small for the job.

Going in search of bearings this week. Should also get the front brakes back - rebuilt and ready to install.

Comment

Bummer on the soda blasting adventure Wally.

Can't wait to see the frame after powdercoat.

Comment

Luckily it wasn't too much of a costly exercise.

Was about $20 for the bag, so worth the effort to at least try it out.
                            Might just have to go the old fashioned paint stripper route, unfortunately.

Hoping to have the frame back this week.

Still heaps to do and shops are closing down soon for Christmas period.
                            At least I will have a few days to work on it over the holidays.

Plus, planning to get some riding done on the Buell as well.

Comment

Good, although very expensive 2 days...

Got 2nd set of bar end mirrors yesterday. Also got some aftermarket rear shocks. Current ones are shot. Pulled them straight off the frame with no resistance or any difficulty.

Got the frame back from powdercoaters this morning (will snap some shots tonight), but they had to redo the front wheel, as the guys forgot to take off the lead weight and just powdered over it...If you want something done right...

Picked up complete engine gasket set and new clutch cable (very expensive exercise, but it is the original Suzuki gaskets) and ordered a complete set bearings for the whole bike (which are surprisingly cheaper than expected!) for around US$62,50. Way less than I expected!

Hoping to get the frame partially together this weekend.

Plan is then to clean the engine, drop the sump to clean out the oil pick-up screen, check stator, check valves and after all that is done, sew it back up and paint it!

I also still have to strip and paint the tank. Lots of stuff to do!

Comment

Sounds like good progress though Wally, looking forward to seeing the powder coat pic's!

So what's the plan with the engine finish after the soda blasting didn't quite do the trick?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X