Shaft to Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft to Chain

If i fit a 1000 chain drive instead of the 850 shaft. is it a matter of just changing the back wheel for chain? its a custom frame so no frame alterations.

Cheers!

i would think it would be as easy as that. cant see any other problems you would encounter
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Trying to understand a little more about your bike, I looked at your other post and found that it is a hard-tailed chopper.

Can't see the left side of it, but there has to be some method for the shaft drive to get to the wheel. On a stock bike, it runs through the swingarm. Since you don't have that feature, you will have to evaluate your frame to see if there is room to run a chain through there instead of a shaft. Then you will have to find a different way to hold the left side of the rear axle, as you will not be using the same final drive. You will also have to have some provision for sliding the axle to adjust the chain.

Any particular reason you are looking at making this swap? If it's for more power, I would look at swapping in a 1000 or 1100 shafty engine, instead. The only change necessary there would be motor mounts.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the shafty side

Comment

I have no idea about that, but that is the best looking UJM chopper I've seen, I think. And I'm not into choppers at all... :thumbsup:

Comment

That looks really nice!
            I'd stay with a shafty if I was doing the swap.
            The way you got that one set up is great looking.

Tank

Comment

where did you get a speedo cable that short? lol
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Reason i asked was cos ive blown the head. But in the last 5 mins ive found a 1100 shafty lump. So sticking with the shaft n getting some more power too. just wish i could find a 6 speed to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  where did you get a speedo cable that short? lol
                  Made up by cable fx at york.

Comment

Working...
                  X