UK GS550 basket build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK GS550 basket build

Hi guys, this is my thread for my gs, it will take me a long time to complete the job in hand, maybe a year or 2, who knows, but it will be finished and on the road again at some point!
    All i got in the purchase was a frame and wheels, a stripped engine due to seizure and an engine of questionable condition. . . . here goes!

So far i have managed to look over the built engine and timed it up, it has compression so seems good so first job is to get the motor in and make it run, not easy with no loom or fuel suppy/ignition.

I'll update regularly.

Cheers,
    Daz.

Well, things are progressing with the gs build . . .
    The frames finally done, shortened rear section and all spare brackets and clips removed and smoothed over before numerous coats of black paint by rattle can (i'm not a fan of powder coating)

Made a nice simple speedo from the original clocks, i don't want the tacho or fuel gauge, i have a better idea for an external gauge on the side of the tank, the paint on the top yoke came out real nice for a rattle can.

Came out rather well!
    The swingarm and shocks are in primer at the mo and discs are painted ready to go on the wheels.
    Just waiting to get the wheels blasted and then i'll paint them too.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

looking good mate
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Made plenty of progress over the last few weeks
          Engine stripped of old paint and painted in matt vht with polished cases, i still need to sort the cam cover as it has a small crack so tig weld and gloss black for that.
          Made a battery box to sit just above the back wheel out of the way.
          Rear end is ready to be buttoned up once i have the dome nuts for the shock mounts.
          And new head bearings mean the forks and speedo/bars are trial fitted.
          I'm liking how its looking so far!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9307359...in/photostream

Hope you like, any comments welcome.
          Regards,
          Daz.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Anyone? Pointers or comments would be good

Comment

What's the vision / plan?
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just a slim, lightweight gs550 roadster.
                Maybe a 650 top end at somepoint.

Comment

the engine looks fantastic and that is a serious chop on the rear end, what are you planning to do there?

Comment

Cheers fella, the engine took an age to prepare but came out well.
                    I chopped the frame down as i will only ever ride alone and its never going to be sold so resale figures don't matter.
                    I may use a shortened gs rear cowl with original rear lamp tucked under, not decided yet!

Comment

Working...
                    X