Bobber rear axle too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobber rear axle too long

I'm in the process of making a hardtail bobber from a gr650. I just got the hardtail kit and now the rear axle is way too long. I need a 10" rear axle. Anyone know where I could pick one up. Thank.

Scudder

I guess you have to search the sites that sell all that hartail/bobber stuff for a custom one, or what I think would be easier is to go to a local machine shop and have them cut down and rethread your oem axle. A small shop may hook you up with a deal. Its not real intricate machining or anything. You could almost buy a die yourself and do it. You will have the proper diameter and not have to worry about buying one and it being off for your bearing size.
    Sounds logical to me, but I am no professional. good luck
    (wait for more input)

Comment

The other thing coming to mind is that if your new swingarm section is narrower, you may have to adjust your spacers to keep the chain lined up properly. I am sure there are other things to compensate for now that your dimensions have changed.

Comment

Thanks. Here is what I'm working with.

My axle problem

Comment

i would buy/beg/borrow a die and do it yourself. its easy as you already have the thread there to get you started straight and true. use plenty of cutting lube.
          then just cut the end off to size and dress up with a file
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The other end is a normal axle bolt. It is snug up against the axle plate. It is not a hex head, it's a smooth cap with holes in it. I hope you can understand that description. I don't have a picture of it.

Scudder

Comment

Just curious here, do you have a picture of the right side?

Similar angle, just on the other side, if you don't mind.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is before I bobbed it, it that helps.

Comment

When I started this project I had a hard time finding out any good information about hardtailing a gr650. Some swing arm hardtails, but hardly any real hardtail jobs. Tons of info on the xs650 however. So, I did some research and ordered a xs650 hardtail ($219). It lines up just fine. Probably doesn't give as much of a stretch as you might get with a xs, because of where you have to cut the lower frame tubes.

You have to cut out the U at the bottom of the rear down tube, , on the gr650 frame, but other than that it seems to be just right. Just thought I'd pass this info along. I was concerned before ordering the xs650 hardtail kit and I thought this might put some at ease if they are considering doing the same thing.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                    This is before I bobbed it, it that helps.
                    Thanks, yes, it does help.

I was looking to see if you were going to have any other issues with spacers on the brakes, but I see that it's a drum brake, so that's not an issue.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the axle mod could work. Probably just going to take it to a machine shop, though. Not sure about the chain alignment. I suppose I deal with that when I get too it. Got to weld things up a bit, get the axle thing figured out and then chain alignment and lengthening will probably be next on the list. Much less, and the other things that will have to be done. I will be fun figuring it all out, and bouncing it around here to get better ideas.

From what I can tell, the gr650 and xs650 are somewhat similiar so it should all workout. Time is on my side. I have two gs running bikes, so no pressure... plus the winter in Chicagoland is quickly approaching.

Scudder

Scudder

Comment

Working...
                      X