No announcement yet.

81 GS550T Full Rebuild...In Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading all of this thread, I seem to have missed the link to the bike's maiden voyage video.
    Could someone tell me where to find it or post a link please?

Comment

I didn't do a video, sorry
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I didn't do a video, sorry

Floggings and lashings I say.

Comment

Ha Ha...so Stan, is that GoPro in the mail to me for Christmas then?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I picked up new Wolo DISC horns today from OReilly's Auto Parts to replace my "choked duck" stock one.

Although the snow finally left, we've had a good dousing of rain the last couple of days and my friend's dirt driveway was very muddy. So while Charmayne worked on her oil change, I took time to draw out my planned wiring for them and determine what other parts I'll need (have the relay already). I figure I'll put the relay above the horns on the front of the frame and both sitting right below. I'll also need to find a good connector for weatherproofing.

Here's the updated sketch for the fuse block showing the horn relay wiring. Any thoughts as to what size of a fuse I should use (I'm thinking 10A)?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I'm going 10 amp on my relays for the 750 and 1000's new horns.Have to get a fuse holder for one of them though,your post reminded me so thanks

Comment

Too late and too lazy to analyze your drawing, so I will just ask a quick question: are there one or two terminals on the new horns?

If there are two, use your stock horn wire to terminal #85 on the relay, connect #86 to ground. Connect #30 to your fused power wire.
                Connect #87 to one terminal on each horn. Ground the other terminal on each horn.

If there is only one terminal on the horn, half your work is already done for you. Connect all the relay terminals as above.
                The horns are grounded through their bodies, so you don't need the separate ground wire.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The horns have two terminals each so I think my drawing reflects what you said Steve. I'll give it a try and see how things go.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Greg.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I don't know if it needed it or not but I broke each head bolt free and re-torqued to 19 foot lbs. I also ran through a few of the other bolts tonight to re-torque them as I'm going to try to take advantage of our projected good weather on Saturday. At least try to get a little bit of a ride in

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Beep Beep!

Took advantage of the good weather today by installing my new horns with the help of both young ladies. After routing the new power wire through the wire loom, we set to terminating it on the fuse block then adjusting the wiring on the socket for the relay. Instead of trying to solder them together, I chose to use bullet connectors between the existing wiring and the socket. I then mounted the horns in the lower holes on the frame and the relay above with a mending plate as I didn't want to drill out the mounting hole on the relay. They sound much louder and better than the stock horn so I'm sure they'll at least catch people's attention.

The fuse block (Cheyenne is getting better with her pictures but she didn't zoom enough to clearly see the new circuit):

Bullet connectors on the relay socket wiring:

Finished Product:

Here's how they sound. Click on the picture to play the video; Photobucket seems to have distorted the video compared to how it played from the computer itself

I'm hoping to ride tomorrow but they are forecasting for rain so I'm not sure if it will happen.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Still Going At It

As noted some time ago my tank and side covers still need sanding to remove the heavy orange peel. In fact, my friend and I have discussed possibly taking the tank back down to primer and reshooting it once the weather warms up some. With that, this project is still not finished in my mind as there are lots of other things I wanted to upgrade/fix on the bike. I still have a new license plate bracket to add, a Polaris R/R to purchase and install, plus some other minor changes to make.

Among them, I wanted to replace my airbox and upgrade the fuse block I installed two years ago. The fuse block works great but I don't care for the lack of flexibility when it comes to adding accessories like my horns. So, I chose to purchase an Eastern Beaver fuse block which had been an option two years ago but not possible due to cash flow at the time. Fortunately, I had the spare change this payday to order one on Jan 7th and received it this morning. Yes, that's three days shipping (shipped 8 Jan) from Japan to Ohio !!!

After taking some measurements of the fuse block and the available acreage on the old airbox, I started in on thinking of how I'll modify my new airbox to fit it. I bought this new airbox to correct one error I'd made previously by drilling holes through the box instead of just making a bracket. I also wanted the top bracket inside the airbox that properly holds my air filter cage instead of the jerry-rigged setup I'm using now.

After making some measurements, I found using the lower bracket results in the fuse block sitting 1 3/4" from the airbox while the upper bracket pushes it out an additional quarter inch. As I have 1 1/2" from the airbox to the master cylinder and hose, I'd rather use the lower bracket as a mounting point. Plus, using the upper bracket would have put the fuse block too close to the solenoid.

So, I pulled the upper bracket off and will finish cleaning it up once I get it back to the garage:

I also have roughly 3 1/2" from the master cylinder to the reservoir to fit this 2 1/4" wide box in.

My plan will be to mount a 1/4" thick or smaller plate to the lower bracket and then mount the fuse block to that. I'll also place a fairly good sized piece of foam (sticky on one side) to cushion the upper portion and prevent it from flopping against the airbox. In my head, I believe everything will stay correctly. I also intend to move the relay to a better position next to the fuse block and use an actual connector (I have a spare) instead of what I'm currently doing. In my head, this means I should be able to clean up the wiring and make it easier to find what I need.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Comment

Made the mounting bracket for the fuse block and the relay out of a 22 gauge steel sheet. I'll have some cleaning up of the edges left to do and will paint it. I also need to find some 1/4" spacers from Ace tomorrow to support the block as the button head screws I used don't fit well with it flush

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Finished creating the basic layout today for the fuse block:

Then went over to fit it to the bike. After some fighting with the airbox mounts, I found I'll have to redesign the layout as the relay is hitting up against the hose from the brake reservoir (phone died before I could take pictures). One thought is to place the relay on the back side of the airbox but I'm not sure if that's going to be the best one.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Well, it's been some time now and crappy weather so I haven't felt like doing much on my bike. I bought a new 7" headlight bucket from GSGeezer, thank you very much, as I intend to swap out my current headlight for a LED model sometime in the near future:

I also finally decided to take a couple of days vacation from work (long time coming) to make this a five day weekend. Although most of my cabling work was done a couple of weeks ago, I took some time today to paint the mounting bracket and have the airbox ready to install tomorrow. I will remove the harness side of the fuse block wires and connect them to the new block tomorrow and then insert the fuses that came with the new block.

Finally, I decided to upgrade my R/R from the older Honda one I bought from Duaneage in 2010 (THANK YOU SIR). It's done its job well for the last few years but is wearing out as I found a bare wire close to the R/R itself.

So of course I bought a new Polaris SSH-775. I wired up the three stator wires (in brown with yellow shrink wrap) and the battery and ground wires in the blue shrink wrap. The inline fuse is still a 20amp one but I may change that out to a 25amp based on some of the reading I did.

I'll mount it up tomorrow and then work on installing my new speedometer/tachometer tomorrow before heading back to the grindstone on Thursday.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                                X